biology or chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shepherd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
most premed students major in Biology, but Chemistry is just as interesting if not more for me, would this put me at a disadvantage?

Does it matter if I get a B.A. or a B.S. degree? Which do most do?

Members don't see this ad.

No, your major doesn't matter for med school admissions. In fact, having a major other than bio will set you apart from the majority of applicants. Just major in what interests you... don't base your choice on med school concerns. Your degree (BA vs. BS) doesn't matter either. Enjoy college, do well, and good luck!! :)

P.S. I bet if you search through old topics, you'll find a lot on this subject.

The only difference is that at some schools the biology is easier, therefore you see all these 3.8, 3.9 GPAs coming from Bio majors. Chemistry is much more challenging I think - and much fewer premeds too.

Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Chem major and I have to agree with andrew/kutastha. I felt Gen.Chem and Orgo weren't too difficult. But now my chem classes are really difficult and challenging. I have Biophysical Chem right now and, honestly, it is just too much math for me. Analytical Chem is interesting but it is just damn anal retentive. For example, in analytical lab we have to weigh our samples to 4 decimal places past the gram (ex. 3.937 grams). We also have to wear gloves every time we touch our weighing vials because fingerprints and oils from skin will significantly alter masses when measured with that much precision. And don't even get me started on Inorganic Chem. That is some pretty deep stuff. But, the bottom line is I enjoy chemistry and I find it very interesting, although more difficult than I anticipated when I declared a Chemistry major. I personally feel that Chemistry majors are better prepared for medicine due to the many direct application it has on medicine such as toxicology, pharmacology, etc. Anyhoo, bottom line, I picked chemistry because Biology is too much memorization. I like chemistry because you can learn a few basic rules and apply them to many different aspects of chemistry. It is more about reasoning ability than memorization, and I can appreciate that.

If you ask me, there are too many labs in chemistry. Major in physics and math... minimal labs, no memorization, and learn lotsa cool stuff!

Economics, the cheif concern is making decisions. What other major offers better training in making difficult decisions as a doctor. Most schools offer a liberal arts economics degree only requiring 24-30 hours, leaving plenty of time for labs, second major, fun and easy gpa boosting classes, etc. Just my opinion though.AEKDB.

I'm with moo.

I'm taking Bio 101, which happens to be a weeder and grinder at my school. It's a difficult course, where as the Gen Chem is quite easy.

Anyway..doesn't make a difference to me. I'm a math major. :D

Alicia

I am an Economics major and I find it very easy. The major requires only 28 units (miniumum). I'm contemplating about double-majoring in a science because I can still finish in 4 years. If I was only an Econ major, I could finish college in 2 years (with the pre-med req completed). But I really enjoy college right now, so I've decided to stay for the whole 4 years.

thanks for all the help everybody, I guess it all comes to what I feel most comfortable with and what I think will give me the best preparation. If chemistry is indeed harder I wonder if med schools take this into consideration when making their selections? The economics suggestions are interesting, but after spending my first year boosting my gpa (3.95)with humanities classes I constantly wonder if i'm capable of success in the science classes, so I figure it's best if I throw myself in now and see whether or not I drown.

I suggest to anyone contemplating about choosing a major to decide with one thing in mind, asking: "what interests me?" Honestly, majoring in what you like is more important than searching for something that may look "good" with the admissions committee. You'll thank yourself later for it! Your experience in college will be more pleasant and your grades will reflect it. You're going to take biochemistry, etc. in medical school, take something you couldn't possibly in med school but possible in undergrad. For example, anthropology, philosophy, history, sociology, etc. Of course, if you love chemistry and biology, by all means, major in them. I hope this helps.

I agree with DNALadder, but there is something else too. The choice can often depend on your school too. If there is an excellent biology department with lots of cool professors that would give you a chance to really learn and get into the material that would be more interesting and useful than majoring in chemistry in a lackluster department. This is much more important when majoring in a non-physical science, like economics. Because, at many smaller schools programs in completely diffrent areas may vary widely in their quality. It's also often very hard to find this kind of info out before you get into things, but it's worth looking into.

Just my two cents worth.

Adam

How about chemical engineering? You could still take lots of chemistry classes. Also, when you're done you'll have a great degree where you can make lots of money if you change your mind about med school.

Some schools also have interdisciplinary engineering, where you basically make your own curriculum (with some restrictions, of course).