Aug 7, 2011
Status
Hey ya'll!

So, I am debating these two majors. Both programs are very good at my school and I am sure I would enjoy either major. So which to choose?

Any thoughts the general community may have would be helpful. :) My goal is, surprise! med school and I really don't have any interest in research, if that makes any bit of difference.

ponyo

人魚姫
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2009
North of Key West
Status
Medical Student
Hey ya'll!

So, I am debating these two majors. Both programs are very good at my school and I am sure I would enjoy either major. So which to choose?

Any thoughts the general community may have would be helpful. :) My goal is, surprise! med school and I really don't have any interest in research, if that makes any bit of difference.
Are you interested in the non-human upper level biology courses? (Higher-level ecology, ichthyology, ornithology, etc.) That was the only reason I didn't pick bio as a major... we had too many of those random requirements that just aren't relevant unless you actually want to take them

About the Ads
Aug 7, 2011
Status
Are you interested in the non-human upper level biology courses? (Higher-level ecology, ichthyology, ornithology, etc.) That was the only reason I didn't pick bio as a major... we had too many of those random requirements that just aren't relevant unless you actually want to take them
ecology, ichthyology, ornithology.. Not particularly! Birds could be fun, but I have a background in environmental/fishyness and I am not terribly compelled to continue.

patineurMD

white skates + white coat
Dec 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
If I were you, I don't think I could see any reason to pick straight biology over human biology. For me, I like humans and they way we function, and I really really really hate birds and ecology and botany. What about regular biology makes you question which would be right for you?

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student
If I were you, I don't think I could see any reason to pick straight biology over human biology. For me, I like humans and they way we function, and I really really really hate birds and ecology and botany. What about regular biology makes you question which would be right for you?
I agree, if I were you I would choose human biology. There is a vast variety of information about the human body you would probably enjoy over non-human bio. IMO ;)

nctw

"Don't give up…don't ever give up."
May 19, 2011
North Carolina
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey ya'll!

NC State?

nctw

May 19, 2011
North Carolina
Status
Pre-Medical
This is why I chose Human Bio over Bio. Plants and animals bore me to death, but I love the physiology and structure of humans.

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student
This is why I chose Human Bio over Bio. Plants and animals bore me to death, but I love the physiology and structure of humans.
We are animals :D, just giving you a hard time. Plant Bio is interesting as far as Photosynthesis and the cycles included. Nowhere near as complex as the human genome but it is a good base for human anatomy and physio. in regards to basic building structures of a living organism.

May 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey ya'll!

University of Phoenix?

nctw

May 19, 2011
North Carolina
Status
Pre-Medical
We are animals :D, just giving you a hard time. Plant Bio is interesting as far as Photosynthesis and the cycles included. Nowhere near as complex as the human genome but it is a good base for human anatomy and physio. in regards to basic building structures of a living organism.
Probably should have clarified. :cool: Genetics > photosynthesis as far as level of interestingness IMO.

About the Ads

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Probably should have clarified. :cool: Genetics > photosynthesis as far as level of interestingness IMO.
:rolleyes: Genetics are by far the more interesting of topics IMO. The human DNA map is absolutely amazing. I stand in awe as I gaze upon every trait listed :love:

Do regular biology majors seriously have plant classes?? I don't think that's the norm.
Not that I am aware of, not for me at least. But Zoology is a class you can replace for an anatomy type class. Sorry for the "specifications" lol but I am not going to pull out my book to tell exactly which class you can substitute it in for. :p

for those who have said animals bore them.

you guys obviously have never watched anything on Discovery or National Geographic.

Nature? Planet Earth? ....
Discovery, National Geographic, History Channel....My life story on T.V.....when I ACTUALLY WATCH t.v. haha

nctw

May 19, 2011
North Carolina
Status
Pre-Medical
for those who have said animals bore them.

you guys obviously have never watched anything on Discovery or National Geographic.

Nature? Planet Earth? ....
I love Discovery and Nat Geo, but I still find medicine/humans to be more interesting. Planet Earth, however, is awesome

Jul 14, 2011
Seattle
Status
Pre-Medical
At University of Washington, a natural history (mostly ecology options) and a non-animal biology (I'm thinking of taking mycology) upper level course is required for molecular biology majors.

Jan 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Since four years of medical school is devoted to studying our species...it seems like it's overkill to spend UG ignoring the 100,000+ forms of other life that we co-inhabit this planet with. I think a broad science background makes for better doctors. Esp. considering that many of the cells in our body are not even human! Do they have a microbiology option? That might be a good middle road. You could toss in an extra physiology course and be good to go for all that medical school will throw at you!

Aug 7, 2011
Status
Since four years of medical school is devoted to studying our species...it seems like it's overkill to spend UG ignoring the 100,000+ forms of other life that we co-inhabit this planet with. I think a broad science background makes for better doctors. Esp. considering that many of the cells in our body are not even human! Do they have a microbiology option? That might be a good middle road. You could toss in an extra physiology course and be good to go for all that medical school will throw at you!
That's a good point, too! (even though I don't know what you mean when you say "that many of the cells in our body are not even human?" whaaa?)

I guess my choice, in its simplest form, is essentially ultra specialization vs a more general education. Both very attractive options. Decisions, decisions. But really, the two majors are only *so* different so I can only go *so* wrong, thankfully!

Jan 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
That's a good point, too! (even though I don't know what you mean when you say "that many of the cells in our body are not even human?" whaaa?)
I'm just talking about the vast, microbial flora (bacteria, yeast, etc.) that live within our bodies...some of which are beneficial, some of which are not. There are roughly 10X the number of these microbes living in our body relative to the number of human cells.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiome

Dec 7, 2010
Ohio
Status
Pre-Medical
You might want to look into what sort of classes you can take within each major.

Like here at the University of Cincinnati, biology majors aren't able to take A&P or Microbiology. (well, I suppose you can, but the course descriptions say no credit for biology majors)

just something to think about.

ponyo

人魚姫
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2009
North of Key West
Status
Medical Student
You might want to look into what sort of classes you can take within each major.

Like here at the University of Cincinnati, biology majors aren't able to take A&P or Microbiology. (well, I suppose you can, but the course descriptions say no credit for biology majors)

just something to think about.
What is the rationale behind a policy like that..?

blizzah

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2010
Urf
Status
Medical Student
What is the rationale behind a policy like that..?
Speculating here:

Bio majors at their school take other courses that are similar in content to those courses, so it is unfair if they take them again essentially.

About the Ads