Biology professor caught me cheating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

currentlypremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I already know what I did was wrong, I'm just looking for guidance about what to do from here. We have Iclickers in my biology class to help my professor keep track of attendance which is 4% of our total grade. You are allowed to miss 3 classes before he starts to take off .5% off your participation grade. I was really busy last week and I decided to skip my class. I asked a friend to use my iclicker to answer the Iclicker questions we have in class so that I would be marked present, mind you that this is common and people do it all the time and I didn't really think much of it because of our large lecture class which has about 200 people. But because I know the professor well and because I always sit in the front row, he noticed that I didn't come to class he sent me an email asking me to visit him in his office. He was really angry about me missing the class and cheating by telling my friend to falsely mark me present. He threatened to submit an academic integrity report on me. I apologized and took full blame, but that didn't help because he was really angry and told me to get out of his office. I am doing well in his course (got an A- on the first midterm) and I always come to class. I always say hi to him and I never seen him that angry. What should I do from here?

Members don't see this ad.

Change your username from "currentlypremed" to "formerlypremed"

Reactions: 4 users
First off, I already know what I did was wrong, I'm just looking for guidance about what to do from here. We have Iclickers in my biology class to help my professor keep track of attendance which is 4% of our total grade. You are allowed to miss 3 classes before he starts to take off .5% off your participation grade. I was really busy last week and I decided to skip my class. I asked a friend to use my iclicker to answer the Iclicker questions we have in class so that I would be marked present, mind you that this is common and people do it all the time and I didn't really think much of it because of our large lecture class which has about 200 people. But because I know the professor well and because I always sit in the front row, he noticed that I didn't come to class he sent me an email asking me to visit him in his office. He was really angry about me missing the class and cheating by telling my friend to falsely mark me present. He threatened to submit an academic integrity report on me. I apologized and took full blame, but that didn't help because he was really angry and told me to get out of his office. I am doing well in his course (got an A- on the first midterm) and I always come to class. I always say hi to him and I never seen him that angry. What should I do from here?

Go back to visit him, and ask him what you can do to make up for your mistake. Obviously, regardless of the grade you get in this class, you don't want an IA on your record if you end up applying to med schools, so getting back on his good side would be your best course.

Make sure you don't ever, ever use the "other people are doing it" excuse to someone in his position. If you tell him that, you are basically saying to him "you are so bad at enforcing your own rules, I figured I could get away with it with no problem."

When you visit him, be apologetic, and DON'T focus your visit around "how can I keep you from reporting me?" Focus it around "What can I do to redeem myself?" The first is obviously self-serving, while the second makes it seem like you actually care that you made a mistake and are sorry.

Good luck, and med schools take "professionalism" to a (sometimes) ridiculous level, so this is not something they take lightly, though if it does result in an IA it probably won't be as fatal to you as cheating on an exam would be.

Members don't see this ad :)

If he doesn't file the report then it won't kill you in the long run. You won't be getting a LOR from him. He probably knows you're pre-med and he also understands that if he files an academic integrity report against you it will kill any chance of you ever getting into medical school. I bet he is likely just very upset and doesn't want to destroy your future.

I would write him a note or go see him again and just tell him about how you understand the severity of what you did, but that you don't think that one youthful idiotic move should potentially damage you for the rest of your life and that you want to make amends.

Write extra reports, do extra homework, Hell, I'd go as far as willing to take a half letter grade off my final grade if it could get him not to file that report.

Just my $0.02

So you are willing "to take full blame", but are shocked that includes actually being reported for doing what you knowingly did?

Lol if you walk in the class and say hi to him everyday, why would you think you'd get away with that?

Reactions: 1 user
If he submits his accusation to your institution (most likely to the Dean's office or a disciplinary committe) and , as a result, are punished in some way,(most likely this will come after a hearing and a determiniation by the hearing board that you engaged in academic dishonesty) then you will have an institutional action on your record.

You must report all institutional actions on your application to medical school. A medical school may choose to interview and admit you despite this IA on your record. However, in my opinion, many medical schools would not want to welcome someone into their academic community knowing that the person has been found guilty of academic dishonesty in the past.

It will be awfully sad if you lost your entire medical career over 0.5 points in one college course. Your only hope is that your professor takes pity on you and chooses not to bring this situation to the academic disciplinary commitee.

Resolve not to risk your career with this sort of thing ever again.

Jeez I can't believe they take the attendance sheet/sign-in that seriously. Students skipping classes in my school have others sign in for them all the time. What's even more impressive about your situation is that he caught you in a class of 200 students; the premed classes in my school only have around 30 students each. Bad luck I suppose, but after reading this I don't think I'll ever attempt to do this.

OP made a mistake in sitting in front of the class, so he willingly made himself strikingly clear to the prof. Then when OP decided not to go (which is fine as it is), he had the nerve to ask soneone to answer the questions for him, faking his presence.

OP, i'm sorry, but your prof is correct here. You'd be lucky if he spared you. You can skip, and that can be explained honestly, but your illegal tactics were uncalled for.

At my school if you got caught using someone else's clicker both the student whom the clicker belongs to and the person who used the clicker for the other student would get an automatic F and be sent to academic judiciary.

When I was a TA this happened to a couple. The boyfriend used the girlfriends clicker when she wasn't in class so she wouldn't lose points. Prof. saw, reported them and failed them both.

OP you are lucky your professor didn't say they would fail you because a lot of professors will auto fail students for any type of cheating including clicker cheating

I would write him a note or go see him again and just tell him about how you understand the severity of what you did, but that you don't think that one youthful idiotic move should potentially damage you for the rest of your life and that you want to make amends.

Write extra reports, do extra homework, Hell, I'd go as far as willing to take a half letter grade off my final grade if it could get him not to file that report.

Just my $0.02

+1 Shoot I'd be willing to go down 2 letter grades if it means avoiding an IA on your record. Unless you have an already damaged GPA, you can usually recover from a bad grade, however, I don't know how someone recovers from an IA.

I get that you clearly were screwed a bit as we all know people do this and get away with it regularly in college. But you need to show your professor a lot of remorse and definitely take theseeker's advice as far as how to approach him. You should be willing to do almost anything at this point to avoid him taking this to the Dean.

Go back to visit him, and ask him what you can do to make up for your mistake. Obviously, regardless of the grade you get in this class, you don't want an IA on your record if you end up applying to med schools, so getting back on his good side would be your best course.

Make sure you don't ever, ever use the "other people are doing it" excuse to someone in his position. If you tell him that, you are basically saying to him "you are so bad at enforcing your own rules, I figured I could get away with it with no problem."

When you visit him, be apologetic, and DON'T focus your visit around "how can I keep you from reporting me?" Focus it around "What can I do to redeem myself?" The first is obviously self-serving, while the second makes it seem like you actually care that you made a mistake and are sorry.

Good luck, and med schools take "professionalism" to a (sometimes) ridiculous level, so this is not something they take lightly, though if it does result in an IA it probably won't be as fatal to you as cheating on an exam would be.

This - The technical term is "Grovel Call"

Admit that what you did was completely wrong. Plead 'pre-med gunner crazies" and let him know you will never, ever, do something that stupid again and that you learned beyond a shadow of a doubt that your [formerly] good name is worth more than any grading hicky. Admit that you feel 'deeply ashamed' of your behavior, and that you find it hard to even face him, knowing that you've disgraced yourself that way, and that you've put your entire future at risk. But that you will try to show him that that is 'not who you are'

Then sit in the front row of the class EVERY single class from then out. Do not miss another class no matter what.

This - The technical term is "Grovel Call"

Admit that what you did was completely wrong. Plead 'pre-med gunner crazies" and let him know you will never, ever, do something that stupid again and that you learned beyond a shadow of a doubt that your [formerly] good name is worth more than any grading hicky. Admit that you feel 'deeply ashamed' of your behavior, and that you find it hard to even face him, knowing that you've disgraced yourself that way, and that you've put your entire future at risk. But that you will try to show him that that is 'not who you are'

Then sit in the front row of the class EVERY single class from then out. Do not miss another class no matter what.

Beautiful! This is exactly what you should do.

If I remember correctly, I thought AMCAS asks for you to disclose any actions taken against you even if there is no official IA. I remember there was a small cheating scandal in one of my classes, but people only got a 0% on the assignment, and nothing else. I wonder how many applicants would admit something like this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeez I can't believe they take the attendance sheet/sign-in that seriously. Students skipping classes in my school have others sign in for them all the time.

It's a professionalism issue. Skipping an undergrad class and having someone sign in for you may not seem like a big deal, but it shows a lack of professionalism that can be a concern for the future. Academic dishonesty can be the kiss of death to an application.

I guess sitting in the front has its pros and cons. I can never sit there with the professor staring at me lol.

There isn't anything wrong in sitting in front of the class. But it seems OP is well recognized by the professor and nicely shot himself on the foot by trying out that cheating tactic. That's a terrible move.

I don't think OP's pleas will have much impact because the professor is doing the right thing by disciplining OP immediately (even if it includes an IA). All OP could do is essentially beg incessantly that it was an idiotic mistake on his part and assure it will never happen again. Plus OP could try to sweeten the deal saying that the material is really interesting but he was stressed out and acted very immaturely and unprofessionally. It's worth a shot to lessen the impact.

Never dare make the same mistake again OP.

Beautiful! This is exactly what you should do.

If I remember correctly, I thought AMCAS asks for you to disclose any actions taken against you even if there is no official IA. I remember there was a small cheating scandal in one of my classes, but people only got a 0% on the assignment, and nothing else. I wonder how many applicants would admit something like this?

Why would they? The objective is to maximize chances to get into medical school. So as long as nothing is reported, it's simply irrational to show honesty by disclosing every single non-reported misdemeanor on AMCAS. This is how realism works.

STRONGLY concur. Dishonest doctors start out as disnonest students. We use clickers here, and some classes have madnatory attendence, or use the clickers for assessment.

IF you were to get caught here do what you did, it might mean a suspension for a year, or expulsion.

From now on, you own this.

It's a professionalism issue. Skipping an undergrad class and having someone sign in for you may not seem like a big deal, but it shows a lack of professionalism that can be a concern for the future. Academic dishonesty can be the kiss of death to an application.

Why would they? The objective is to maximize chances to get into medical school. So as long as nothing is reported, it's simply irrational to show honesty by disclosing every single non-reported misdemeanor on AMCAS. This is how realism works.

Well, I bring this up because people are all about honesty and integrity on this board. As for misdemeanors, I believe it asks if you were convicted. However, because it is do specific, people who either had dropped charges or had the charges expunged do not need to disclose. As for asking about unreported IAs, in theory people should disclose any close call they had where they were lucky that it didn't go any higher.

It's not asking for a student who cheated who never got caught (way more than you would think) to disclose it, it's asking for someone who got caught cheating and had some action taken against them, but with no IA on their record, to disclose it. As with my example earlier, if someone lost let's say 5% of their total grade by getting a zero on that assignment, then how would ADCOMs know? It sure sounds dumb to disclose something there is no record of, but isn't the failure to disclose a "lucky break" cheating in itself?

Well, I bring this up because people are all about honesty and integrity on this board. As for misdemeanors, I believe it asks if you were convicted. However, because it is do specific, people who either had dropped charges or had the charges expunged do not need to disclose. As for asking about unreported IAs, in theory people should disclose any close call they had where they were lucky that it didn't go any higher.

It's not asking for a student who cheated who never got caught (way more than you would think) to disclose it, it's asking for someone who got caught cheating and had some action taken against them, but with no IA on their record, to disclose it. As with my example earlier, if someone lost let's say 5% of their total grade by getting a zero on that assignment, then how would ADCOMs know? It sure sounds dumb to disclose something there is no record of, but isn't the failure to disclose a "lucky break" cheating in itself?

Even if an action was taken but wasn't reported formally (i.e. an IA), it shouldn't be reported. It's unwise to shoot yourself on the foot by being unnecessarily honest.

Mandatory attendance is a joke, OP- especially if you're getting the material. We all know that. However, you need to wise up fast if you think you wouldn't be noticed having been seated in the front row all semester (and being all chummy with your professor). Come on!

As for all you wannabe noble pukes... Get off of your high horses and soap boxes. Don't act like you've never done something back handed or lied in the past. Everyone makes a bad choice at some point in life... and as a young and overworked undergraduate, the OP did what he/she thought applicable for the situation. People learn by mistakes like these.

Mandatory attendance is a joke, OP- especially if you're getting the material. We all know that. However, you need to wise up fast if you think you wouldn't be noticed having been seated in the front row all semester (and being all chummy with your professor). Come on!

As for all you wannabe noble pukes... Get off of your high horses and soap boxes. Don't act like you've never done something back handed or lied in the past. Everyone makes a bad choice at some point in life... and as a young and overworked undergraduate, the OP did what he/she thought applicable for the situation. People learn by mistakes like these.

Agreed.

Lack of professionalism?

Lack of professionalism?

Yes. Responsibility, honesty, integrity, trust - all components of professionalism.

There are huge consequences for us in med school if someone signs in for someone else. See Goro's post above.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a "convicted" deal on AMCAS. I had to go in front of an institutional board once and was subsequently found not guilty of what I was accused of. My record is totally clean because the charge wasn't justified (it's not like I plead out of it) and my pre-med advisor told me that I don't have to report it.

In my situation there is no punishment, no record, no wrongdoing on my part at any point. Why would I muddy my application?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a "convicted" deal on AMCAS. I had to go in front of an institutional board once and was subsequently found not guilty of what I was accused of. My record is totally clean because the charge wasn't justified (it's not like I plead out of it) and my pre-med advisor told me that I don't have to report it.

In my situation there is no punishment, no record, no wrongdoing on my part at any point. Why would I muddy my application?

You didn't report that? :eek:

:confused: Help me understand. How would schools know what you had to undergo if the record is clean?

EDIT: nvm. All clear lol. Got confused.

Again. Why? It's unwise to voluntarily confess if the records don't show any sign of misdemeanor or other "black mark".

OP, if the professor doesn't report this, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. But if he does report this, then you will most likely have an IA to report on your AMCAS primary.

Now, despite what many on SDN might think, most minor IAs have very little impact on the grand scheme of things. But, anything related to academic dishonesty is regarded as much more serious.

IAs like blatant cheating, stealing, etc can have catastrophic consequences, but your IA, should you get one, shouldn't be as severe.

Bottomline, your top priority right now is to make sure your professor doesn't report this incident. Do whatever you can possibly do and good luck!

Yeah, it was a new professor who thought I did something wrong. We went to the board, I showed them the college rules that say that I'm allowed to do what I did. The meeting was over in under 10 minutes. I would have sorted it out with the professor earlier, but she submitted the form before talking to me so we had to appear officially. :rolleyes:

Misunderstandings happen. I had a friend whose professor gave her permission to take a quiz at home and send it in with a friend because she was away for an Olympic event ( :eek: ). She did so and was written up for academic dishonesty. She went to the meeting, showed a copy of the email between her and the professor, the professor backed off, she was found not guilty. She isn't pre-med, but if she was I would hope she wouldn't have to go through the story on her application!

What you did isn't a big deal (though I don't understand why, given your prof knows you well, and you have a good grade in the class, risking his trust for half a point)

You need to act like it was though

:confused: Help me understand. How would schools know what you had to undergo if the record is clean?

Again. Why? It's unwise to voluntarily confess if the records don't show any sign of misdemeanor or other "black mark".

Why would she? To minimize her chances to med school?

why would you report that

Yeah, it was a new professor who thought I did something wrong. We went to the board, I showed them the college rules that say that I'm allowed to do what I did. The meeting was over in under 10 minutes. I would have sorted it out with the professor earlier, but she submitted the form before talking to me so we had to appear officially. :rolleyes:

Misunderstandings happen. I had a friend whose professor gave her permission to take a quiz at home and send it in with a friend because she was away for an Olympic event ( :eek: ). She did so and was written up for academic dishonesty. She went to the meeting, showed a copy of the email between her and the professor, the professor backed off, she was found not guilty. She isn't pre-med, but if she was I would hope she wouldn't have to go through the story on her application!
just putting some pressure, relax

STRONGLY concur. Dishonest doctors start out as disnonest students. We use clickers here, and some classes have madnatory attendence, or use the clickers for assessment.

IF you were to get caught here do what you did, it might mean a suspension for a year, or expulsion.

From now on, you own this.

+1 Our classes also use the clicker system. Any type of cheating is instant fail and also receives expulsion. Hopefully the professor will be nice to the OP.

OP, if the professor doesn't report this, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. But if he does report this, then you will most likely have an IA to report on your AMCAS primary.

Now, despite what many on SDN might think, most minor IAs have very little impact on the grand scheme of things. But, anything related to academic dishonesty is regarded as much more serious.

IAs like blatant cheating, stealing, etc can have catastrophic consequences, but your IA, should you get one, shouldn't be as severe.

Bottomline, your top priority right now is to make sure your professor doesn't report this incident. Do whatever you can possibly do and good luck!

Why would she? To minimize her chances to med school?

why would you report that

Some schools (UChicago and Wisconsin come to mind, WashU also asks in the Dean's Letter you have to mail in) specifically ask if you've ever had to go through honor/conduct council proceedings, even if nothing ever came of them. To not report to those schools that you had such a history would be lying on your application.

That said, AMCAS and most schools only ask about convictions, not accusations, so in that case you would not report an honor council hearing in which you were found not guilty as it's not an institutional action.

Some schools (UChicago and Wisconsin come to mind) specifically ask if you've ever had to go through honor/conduct council proceedings, even if nothing ever came of them. To not report to those schools that you had such a history would be lying on your application.

That said, AMCAS and most schools only ask about convictions, not accusations, so in that case you would not report an honor council hearing in which you were found not guilty as it's not an institutional action.

How will UChicago/Wisconsin find out in the first place? By that I meant how will these schools know about the accusations?

Tbh, it's a ridiculous waste of time for these schools to investigate every single one of thousands of applicants whether they were accused of some academic misdemeanor. The IA is loud and clear so the schools use IA as a way to screen out the applicants and reduce the supply.

How will UChicago/Wisconsin find out in the first place? By that I meant how will these schools know about the accusations?

Tbh, it's a ridiculous waste of time for these schools to investigate every single one of thousands of applicants whether they were accused of some academic misdemeanor. The IA is loud and clear so the schools use IA as a way to screen out the applicants and reduce the supply.

Like I said, it's extremely unlikely they'd ever find out. But people who have been caught lying about their pasts say the same thing. In this case, your school may keep records of the charge that come up later. Maybe other students who went to your school and now go to that med school are aware of it, or have friends who are aware of it. Maybe a faculty member at the med school runs into your still-pissed ex-professor at a conference and the topic of you comes up. Like I said, extremely unlikely, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Why potentially throw away your acceptances/future as a doctor because you didn't want to report that you were found not guilty of an academic dishonesty charge? I can't imagine it would do much to hurt your application.

Like I said, it's extremely unlikely they'd ever find out. But people who have been caught lying about their pasts say the same thing. Why potentially throw away your acceptances/future as a doctor because you didn't want to report that you were found not guilty of an academic dishonesty charge? I can't imagine it would do much to hurt your application.

I understand where you're getting at, but the bolded is essentially impossible. If an applicant was accused but wasn't convicted, (and by some odd chance the school finds out), there really isn't any reason for the school to rescind the acceptance (or retract the degree in the future etc.)... simply because the student wasn't guilty (or at fault).

My point is, unless you have been convicted of something bad (IA or similar), you are essentially cleared of charges and reporting accusations is simply redundant. Applicants like kyamh (where idiotic professors unfairly punish them) have no reason to give schools the opportunity to reject them.

This wouldn't have been an issue if you didn't gun so hard. Next time, just take the .5% reducation of what is probably a small attendance portion of your grade. Also, this reminds me why the front few rows in freshman bio were almost never taken.

You are going to have to kiss a ton of backside to get out of this one, unfortunately. Do whatever you have to to avoid an IA.

It's kind of funny how insulted this prof is about something that is so rampant in gen ed classes.

I understand where you're getting at, but the bolded is essentially impossible. If an applicant was accused but wasn't convicted, (and by some odd chance the school finds out), there really isn't any reason for the school to rescind the acceptance (or retract the degree in the future etc.)... simply because the student wasn't guilty (or at fault).

My point is, unless you have been convicted of something bad (IA or similar), you are essentially cleared of charges and reporting accusations is simply redundant. Applicants like kyamh (where idiotic professors unfairly punish them) have no reason to give schools the opportunity to reject them.

The reason the school would rescind an acceptance wouldn't be because you were found not guilty of a charge. It would be because you were dishonest on your application. There was one guy on SDN a few years back who had his acceptance rescinded because he failed to disclose a speeding ticket (although he eventually got it back with enough begging and pleading).

Also, another thing to consider: If you're worried about a school rejecting you because you were once accused of academic dishonesty but found not guilty, then why would you think they wouldn't rescind an offer of admission upon finding out about it?

The reason the school would rescind an acceptance wouldn't be because you were found not guilty of a charge. It would be because you were dishonest on your application. There was one guy on SDN a few years back who had his acceptance rescinded because he failed to disclose a speeding ticket (although he eventually got it back with enough begging and pleading).

Also, another thing to consider: If you're worried about a school rejecting you because you were once accused of academic dishonesty but found not guilty, then why would you think they wouldn't rescind an offer of admission upon finding out about it?

If the applicants did disclose their academic dishonesty and got accepted, then there's nothing to worry about. I agree. But the problem is the applicants are voluntarily reducing their chances for acceptance by giving adcoms an extra benefit of doubt by admitting to an unofficial academic dishonesty (or similar related). Adcoms want to reduce the supply of applicants and choose the best of them, which means a clean (official or unofficial) record.

Basically, it's a lose-lose situation. Mention it and you lower your chances of acceptance. Forget about it but the schools find out, you lose your acceptance.

Maybe i'm a pessimist, but I don't see adcoms rewarding honesty. Instead adcoms will only punish dishonesty.

If the applicants did disclose their academic dishonesty and got accepted, then there's nothing to worry about. I agree. But the problem is the applicants are voluntarily reducing their chances for acceptance by giving adcoms an extra benefit of doubt by admitting to an unofficial academic dishonesty (or similar related). Adcoms want to reduce the supply of applicants and choose the best of them, which means a clean (official or unofficial) record.

Basically, it's a lose-lose situation. Mention it and you lower your chances of acceptance. Forget about it but the schools find out, you lose your acceptance.

Maybe i'm a pessimist, but I don't see adcoms rewarding honesty. Instead adcoms will only punish dishonesty.

It comes down to which you prefer: Do you want to maximize your chances at a school even if it means that for the rest of your career you'll be worrying in the back of your mind that one day your past may get discovered and everything you worked so hard for will be gone? Or do you want peace of mind even if it means possibly not getting into a particular school?

Of course, we don't know how adcoms view not guilty verdicts, or even why those schools ask about such things in the first place. It could be the case that the school doesn't even care and only asks to cover their ass in the event that a residency program wants to know. Or maybe some schools have no faith in honor councils and think they're better at judging an applicant's innocence or guilt years after the fact with far less evidence. Or maybe they think a not guilty verdict is just a student that got lucky and anyone who so much as steps in front of an honor council is guilty of whatever they were charged with.

It comes down to which you prefer: Do you want to maximize your chances at a school even if it means that for the rest of your career you'll be worrying in the back of your mind that one day your past may get discovered and everything you worked so hard for will be gone? Or do you want peace of mind even if it means possibly not getting into a particular school?

Of course, we don't know how adcoms view not guilty verdicts, or even why those schools ask about such things in the first place. It could be the case that the school doesn't even care and only asks to cover their ass in the event that a residency program wants to know. Or maybe some schools have no faith in honor councils and think they're better at judging an applicant's innocence or guilt years after the fact with far less evidence. Or maybe they think a not guilty verdict is just a student that got lucky and anyone who so much as steps in front of an honor council is guilty of whatever they were charged with.

Agreed, especially with the bolded. It doesn't make sense at all to ask that question in the secondary when simply seeing an IA (or related convictions) suffices. Conviction = necessary and sufficient claim for rejection. A mere unsubstantiated accusation from a clueless professor = any accusation without conviction = no grounds for rejection. It just gives adcoms another excuse to torment the hapless applicants.

... It just gives adcoms another excuse to torment the hapless applicants.

3t5pte.jpg

Is this the kind of thing where you have to answer quiz questions in order to prove you were present?
That especially sucks, because the attendance check was really why you did it, but if you are getting graded on the clicker questions, it looks like you had someone else take a quiz for you. (Because you did, even if that wasn't the goal)
If the questions aren't graded, I imagine that aspiring20 is right, and this won't be as bad as academic cheating. Lying about attendance is bad, but I figure cheating is worse. Especially since most people have figured out by now that attendance policies are stupid. (doesn't make lying okay though)

I am confused about you saying that you are always in class, yet you've missed 4 classes a little more than halfway through the semester?

Change your username from "currentlypremed" to "formerlypremed"

+23490e28902148912 :lol:

Lol if you walk in the class and say hi to him everyday, why would you think you'd get away with that?

lol pwned

This wouldn't have been an issue if you didn't gun so hard. Next time, just take the .5% reducation of what is probably a small attendance portion of your grade.

+10934042. I like sitting in the front because I dislike squishing with everyone else around in the back, or God forbid in the middle of a row. Also, the added leg room feels good for my height *grumble grumble* But what OP did is just...like :laugh:

+∞ One day I am going to ask that question to a professor like OP's. Directly in his face and stare him down (literally, unless he's taller than me, which I doubt) for an answer.

It's kind of funny how insulted this prof is about something that is so rampant in gen ed classes.

His class is the most important one at the college!!! Everyone must attend every single lecture to get the most out of the course as is possible!!!1

The reason the school would rescind an acceptance wouldn't be because you were found not guilty of a charge. It would be because you were dishonest on your application. There was one guy on SDN a few years back who had his acceptance rescinded because he failed to disclose a speeding ticket (although he eventually got it back with enough begging and pleading.

OMG I remember that guy. He posted his rescindment letter about a speeding ticket in New York, right? Then he vanished from SDN completely. Glad he got in finally.

Just an update because I don't want to keep you guys on your feet for too long. I emailed him an apology letter and he responded with a short reply telling me he wont submit an academic integrity report (it seems like he still hates me). Although I am relieved, I am still nervous because I found out that he is a member of the premed committee at my school (the people who will write the committee letter for me).
Also, I want to respond to a few people. The clickers are for attendance and not for quiz grades, you don't have to get the right answer to be marked present. Secondly, I still don't think I did something serious enough to receive an AI (although I will never do it again). finally, why would you write down your AI's if you were never actually charged for them and they don't show up in your transcript? This is something that no one will never know about except for me and my teacher.

Just an update because I don't want to keep you guys on your feet for too long. I emailed him an apology letter and he responded with a short reply telling me he wont submit an academic integrity report (it seems like he still hates me). Although I am relieved, I am still nervous because I found out that he is a member of the premed committee at my school (the people who will write the committee letter for me).
Also, I want to respond to a few people. The clickers are for attendance and not for quiz grades, you don't have to get the right answer to be marked present. Secondly, I still don't think I did something serious enough to receive an AI (although I will never do it again). finally, why would you write down your AI's if you were never actually charged for them and they don't show up in your transcript? This is something that no one will never know about except for me and my teacher.

That's good to hear. So you're essentially on the safe side on not having an IA. However, his being a member of premed committee can murky up things for those weird schools that demand a committee letter.

What year are you in? In other words, how long from now do you plan on applying?