Biology professor caught me cheating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying for the next cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Story doesn't add up, and you played it wrong if it's true. There is really no way he could prove that you weren't in class, unless he caught your friend red-handed (which doesn't appear to be the case). All he has on you was that he didn't notice you in the front row, yet your clicker questions were answered. All you had to do was say that you were in the back of the class and that he must have missed you. Even if he quizzed you about what was discussed in class and you couldn't answer, it still wouldn't be enough proof to give you an XE. You could have just said that you weren't paying attention while he was talking or something. If my prof pulled some crap like that I'd lawyer up in a second and scare him off. I think your professor was just tryna spook you, glad to hear he didn't file anything though.

Just an update because I don't want to keep you guys on your feet for too long. I emailed him an apology letter and he responded with a short reply telling me he wont submit an academic integrity report (it seems like he still hates me). Although I am relieved, I am still nervous because I found out that he is a member of the premed committee at my school (the people who will write the committee letter for me).
Also, I want to respond to a few people. The clickers are for attendance and not for quiz grades, you don't have to get the right answer to be marked present. Secondly, I still don't think I did something serious enough to receive an AI (although I will never do it again). finally, why would you write down your AI's if you were never actually charged for them and they don't show up in your transcript? This is something that no one will never know about except for me and my teacher.

Well, now that you both know he's not submitting an IA report, it's probably a good time to start making amends. At least now he knows it's not just to save your own ass.

OMG I remember that guy. He posted his rescindment letter about a speeding ticket in New York, right? Then he vanished from SDN completely. Glad he got in finally.

Last edited:
Just an update because I don't want to keep you guys on your feet for too long. I emailed him an apology letter and he responded with a short reply telling me he wont submit an academic integrity report (it seems like he still hates me). Although I am relieved, I am still nervous because I found out that he is a member of the premed committee at my school (the people who will write the committee letter for me).
Also, I want to respond to a few people. The clickers are for attendance and not for quiz grades, you don't have to get the right answer to be marked present. Secondly, I still don't think I did something serious enough to receive an AI (although I will never do it again). finally, why would you write down your AI's if you were never actually charged for them and they don't show up in your transcript? This is something that no one will never know about except for me and my teacher.

Last edited:
Be like, "Dr. So and So are you really going to screw me over for that incident three years ago" or something of that nature.

Ask if it will be mentioned, but you should never imply the prof is "screwing you over" if they mention it. That's like saying a credit card company screws you over if they report a default. You cheated, knowingly, in a way that was intended to effect your grade. Don't mention it if the prof won't but don't fool yourself into think the prof is a jerk if they do. The prof is following standard protocol if they do report it and is a benevolently merciful person if they don't. If you imply the prof is doing you wrong by mentioning it, you increase the chance it gets mentioned

Seems clear you need to not get a committee letter. Just apply w/o one. I did. Nobody asked.

But if your school offers a committee letter and you don't get one, wouldn't that be a red flag?

But if your school offers a committee letter and you don't get one, wouldn't that be a red flag?

Depends on the school you're applying to. If the school states that they want a committee letter if your undergrad offers one, and you don't have one, the adcom might wonder why that is. Not saying you're done for if you don't have one, especially if the rest of your app is solid, but it might raise eyebrows.

Reactions: 1 user

Good that you apologized, but (sorry) using email instead of face-to-face was taking the easy way out. Do follow it up with a face-to-face repeat. It shows character, courage, humility -- all those qualities you will need to have as a med student and doctor. Your Prof. KNOWs that takes courage and will give you credit for that. It *might* just make the difference in your committee letter.

You were trying to get credit for something that you didn't do. That's academic dishonesty and would certainly be grounds for institutional action. If it's in the syllabus, then you can complain all you want about how stupid the policy is, but they'll throw the book right back at you all the same.

As mentioned above, I would work hard in the class and not bring it up again... sounds like he won't file a formal report about it. Years from now if you're a good student and do well in the school I doubt this will be an issue. The best thing you can do at this point is just let it slide, my suspicion is that over time he will calm down about it.