Biology Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

91Bravo

Frank Netter's Love Child
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me front-load with my appreciation to anyone who has helpful advice in this situation.

My quandary relates to the prerequisite coursework required by medical schools. I will be starting my junior year in an undergraduate biochemistry program this fall, with intentions of applying to medical school next year. Oddly, my program only requires one semester of general biology. However, medical schools require a full year of biology. My question is, do medical schools SPECIFICALLY want a full year of GENERAL biology or can more advanced coursework in biology be used to fill the biology requirement? By the time I apply to medical schools, I will have had the following classes in the biology discipline: one semester each of general biology, molecular genetics, human physiology, cellular biology, and biochemistry.

For those of you who have confronted this situation in the past or know definitively what the answer is, please let me know. I'll be pissed of if I have to take a freshman biology class when I'm a senior. lol

Members don't see this ad.

1 year of biology meaning 1 sem bio1 and 1 sem biochem should be fine.

If you're that concerned and you have schools in mind that you want to apply to, email them to make sure.

I'm skipping the second semester of intro bio too. It's a waste. I already learned it for the MCAT and would rather take upper level stuff for credit.

you definetly don't need 2 semesters of intro to bio (that'd be yucky!). take the first semester of general, and any of your higher level bio courses will substitue just fine to give you a full year. :)