Biology Section of PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piggy88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I'm taking my PCAT tomorrow and I've been using Dr. Collins and Kaplan PCAT which was all recommended on this forum here. However when I bought the Dr. Collins from someone I didn't realize til this month that it was a 2007 version when the person told me it was 2014 :/ Thus I feel as if I'm either missing new information that has been added to the PCAT since or being focusing on information that was taken out.

So I took all the Pearson practice test and the biology portion is pretty difficult for me only because half the information I was not taught in the Dr. Collins that I have- ESPECIALLY microbiology! My question is to those who used the more recent Dr. Collins or have already taken the PCAT this year did you feel as if the Pearson practice test had too much details regarding microbiology or did your recent Dr. Collins version prepare you well?

ex: my microbiology portion just lists out a bunch of diseases for me to memorize and structures of microorganisms but the Pearson exams ask things like probiotics, the effects of certain vitamins in your body, random peptides

Members don't see this ad.

How many tests did you have on the Collins for chemistry? Do you have the updates? If you use Collins and understand the content, you will be gravy for that section at least.

How many tests did you have on the Collins for chemistry? Do you have the updates? If you use Collins and understand the content, you will be gravy for that section at least.
I have 8 tests for Chemistry! Chemistry I'm not too worried about because most of that information did not change but I've never taken Human Anatomy and Microbiology before which is why I'm very nervous. Do you have the Dr. Collins version? At the end of each page of my Dr. Collins packet it says 2007 at the bottom so I'm wondering if yours says the correct date.

I have Dr Collins 2015 I bought it from them and it does say the date at the beginning of each package and also they sent me an update with the date as well....Well there is a review of A&P on Dr Collins '15 and it is really good and is quite long, and on the tests there are maybe on average like 10 or more questions about A&P. I haven't taken mine yet but I believe knowing all those diseases and which organism is a bacteria or a worm in Micro you are ok, well that's what I think, good luck!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 8 tests for Chemistry! Chemistry I'm not too worried about because most of that information did not change but I've never taken Human Anatomy and Microbiology before which is why I'm very nervous. Do you have the Dr. Collins version? At the end of each page of my Dr. Collins packet it says 2007 at the bottom so I'm wondering if yours says the correct date.
I think I have the older version with updates. They were good for me. But I had 11 tests plus almost all the updates. And there are some word for word questions from Collins on every section of the PCAT.

Thank both your responses! But I guess that's what I'm worried about because I bought Dr. Collins because people said there were word for word questions on there but mine is 8 years old :/
My anatomy section for Dr. Collins is brief and only 5 pages

well don't worry too much, this one is 7 pages, I assumed more than 3 is long lol, ok so here is what the sections are about tissues (4 types) and the he goes with all the systems not that long tho, skeletal is brief, nervous is more long because he explains acetylcholine and all the divisions (CNS and ANS), just read all that about action potentials and acetylcholine, circulatory is definitely blood circulation, and endocrine system is all about the hormones, micro is 8 pages but includes immunity..

well don't worry too much, this one is 7 pages, I assumed more than 3 is long lol, ok so here is what the sections are about tissues (4 types) and the he goes with all the systems not that long tho, skeletal is brief, nervous is more long because he explains acetylcholine and all the divisions (CNS and ANS), just read all that about action potentials and acetylcholine, circulatory is definitely blood circulation, and endocrine system is all about the hormones, micro is 8 pages but includes immunity..
Thank you sooo much for this! I appreciate it! My version had all those sections too so it definitely eased my mine. Can I ask if you could tell me the sections for microbiology?

yes, micro is prokaryotes and eukaryotes differences, then he starts bacterial ecology, structure, and shape and then about Gram+ and Gram- , then bacterial diseases. Then it moves to Protozoans, fungi, worms and viruses, and each disease of each one, viruses is a little bit long 2 pages haha well compared to the others that are less than a page, then microbial disease transmission and mechanisms and immunology 4 pages, you know everything about B cells, t cells and disorders as well. let me know how the test went tomorrow, mine is in nov, I am studying Orgo right now and it is driving me nuts lol :)

anyone selling dr collins?
yes, micro is prokaryotes and eukaryotes differences, then he starts bacterial ecology, structure, and shape and then about Gram+ and Gram- , then bacterial diseases. Then it moves to Protozoans, fungi, worms and viruses, and each disease of each one, viruses is a little bit long 2 pages haha well compared to the others that are less than a page, then microbial disease transmission and mechanisms and immunology 4 pages, you know everything about B cells, t cells and disorders as well. let me know how the test went tomorrow, mine is in nov, I am studying Orgo right now and it is driving me nuts lol :)
Thank you! I really really appreciate it! Unfortunately my microbiology is pretty different than yours being it from 2007. I have only one page of immunology and no disorders in that section and some things are a bit different but oh well. Good luck in your orgo studying!