• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
www.globalworldhealth.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,
this type of question always gives me a hard time.. i was wondering if someone could explain this to me.
Item 34 Kaplan bio subject test

if a 18O-labeled glucose given to a rat, where will the label appear?
a. exhaled co2
b. plasma h20
c. exhaled h20
d. intracellular h20.
the answer is a. the explanation talks about glycolysis and how o2 is the final oxygen acceptor and is the one that comes out during expiration..but im confused..:confused:

futuredoctor10

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Good question! I am not sure... the glucose subject to aerobic respiration (gluc + 02) will produce CO2 and H20 but I dont know how you know that the labeled glucose ultimately becomes exhaled CO2

About the Ads

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Whenever I see glucose in a Bio passage, I usually think of the combustion of glucose with oxygen/aerobic respiration. Doing so would make answer choice a (exhaled co2) seem appropriate, as then one would think of TCA.

futuredoctor10

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so to answer this question... is my reasoning right?
Glucose labeled in a rat would undergo aerobic respiration.

Glucose + O2 --> CO2 + H20

Exhaled CO2 contains the labeled "oxygen" from the glucose, because in the TCA cycle (aka Krebs cycle) the carbon dioxide molecules are "products" of the intermediate reactions of the cycle?

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Seems correct. The labeled glucose in glycolysis probably yielded two labeled pyruvates, and then led to the byproduct CO2, which carried the label.

rnicholsaz

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
The end result of glucose in oxidative conditions is CO2 and water. The CO2 is released in the Krebs cycle. The water is produced by O2 being the final electron receptor in oxidative phosphorylation, but doesn't use any of the original glucose molecule to make water.

futuredoctor10

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks pookiez88 and rnicholsaz - that makes a lot of sense and helped clarify the question completely!

About the Ads