Biology vs. Microbiology major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyending2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone give me an advice on my major?
Currently I'm on my 2nd year at a university majoring in biology
But now I'm thinking about going into microbiology. Would that be a huge risk? Cus i think that microbiology will get me a higher gpa than biology and requirement for micr seems more easier than bio. It really doesnt matter what you major in as long as you finish ur science requirement right? I'm gonna be a junior next semester and i'm worried that i might make a mistaking on changing major at this point. Plus a lot of people told me that it is better to do BS than BA. I'm a bio, BA right now. But does it really make a difference between BS and BA? I know that for BS, it requires more classes but would grad school actually think highly of BS students than BA student when applying for dental school? Please give me some good advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

lol. if microbiology is easier than just regular biology at your school i'd like to be there. at my school, however, microbiology majors have an average of 3.2 gpa. are you sure the people who told you this are not just trying to screw you over?

lol. if microbiology is easier than just regular biology at your school i'd like to be there. at my school, however, microbiology majors have an average of 3.2 gpa. are you sure the people who told you this are not just trying to screw you over?

really? wow. mm thats why im really careful about changing major. if i was a freshmen or something then i wouldnt worry about chaning major. but since im gonna junior next sem im not able to make easy decision on this matter :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Microbio is definitely the harder major at our school. But your school could be very different. If you feel like you would do better with a microbio major, and you feel that you have an interest in the area, then I would suggest a switch. The extra microbio classes will definitely be of some help once you get into d-school.

Do whatever interests you most. Dental school will likely mainly care about your science GPA. How you get there is up to you. Good luck.

When I was at UCLA the average was a 2.8, according to the Daily Bruin.

At my undergrad, Micro was much harder and longer. A friend and I were confronted with the same dilemma in college. I choose Biology to be quick and easy, he chose micro to be a "better applicant". Well, in the end, we both ended up going to the SAME dental school but with one HUGE difference. I'm graduating this month and he's just finishing his second year. Now, we're both going to be dentists but who do you think made the right decision? If micro is the quick and easy route at your school, go to town! But I wouldn't think that is the norm at most Universities.

At my undergrad, Micro was much harder and longer. A friend and I were confronted with the same dilemma in college. I choose Biology to be quick and easy, he chose micro to be a "better applicant". Well, in the end, we both ended up going to the SAME dental school but with one HUGE difference. I'm graduating this month and he's just finishing his second year. Now, we're both going to be dentists but who do you think made the right decision? If micro is the quick and easy route at your school, go to town! But I wouldn't think that is the norm at most Universities.

I picked it because it had the best name out of all the majors: Microbiology, Immunology & Molecular Genetics. The cherry on top is that my diploma is signed by Schwarzenegger :D

Er... but yea, I shoulda graduated in 2006, but I graduated in 2007, and I was accepted to dental school in 2009, hah :p

Wow. Now that I read people's comments, maybe i should just stick to my major. Earlier i had this major confusion whether i should change or not. But thanks for your advice. Did you do BA OR BS?

When I was at UCLA the average was a 2.8, according to the Daily Bruin.
Lol yeah it was actually funny. The counselor..forget her name..actually sent all the mimg majors an email saying that it was 3.2 not 2.8 like people thought. Sad for me but i am really interested in the stuff so oh well

Bridget? Hrm, never got that email I guess :p Don't ruin the dream for me, I defied the average! :p

I agree with Tooth. Take the route that will get you in dental school faster. There is pretty much no difference between those majors as far as ADCOMs are concerned. They are going to be focusing on your science GPA, DAT score, and overall GPA mainly.

I agree with Tooth. Take the route that will get you in dental school faster. There is pretty much no difference between those majors as far as ADCOMs are concerned. They are going to be focusing on your science GPA, DAT score, and overall GPA mainly.

i think you have the wrong motivations..life is short, so you should do what you feel is most fulfilling. why would you waste 4 years of your life pursuing something just because it is the easy or quick way? looking back, how will you be proud of yourself? its not always about how quickly you can go from one place to the next..if you do that your life will seemingly pass you by. if you take a path that really interests you, you'll be a more interesting and fulfilled person, as you will have passions, not just wants. becoming successful is the ultimate goal for most of us, but i hope that once you reach your definition of success you are able to look back at your life fondly and say that you enjoyed the journey, not that you're glad its over.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't agree with anyone here. I think Microbiology is the way to go.

1) It doesn't take any longer than a bio major... I did microbiology in 4 years without a problem.
2) You're taking the classes anyway. The difference between Bio and Micro is like 3 micro classes... you still take biochem/genetics/etc
3) Classes like micro will help with histology/genetics in dental school.
4) BS is better than a BA, just my opinion. Why wouldn't you get a bachelor's of science if you're a science major...
5) Think about the unthinkable possibility you don't make it into dental school (it happens), a microbiology degree will get you further than a plain ole' everyone-has-one biology degree. When a microbiology lab is looking to hire, who do you think they pick, the resume with a Biology degree or Microbiology degree. Likewise, they pick the Mol Gen guy over the Bio guy in a Genetics lab. Biology degrees are harder to get jobs with.
6) Micro is just frickin' cool.

If you have the smarts to get into dental school you can handle microbiology. Research looks good on application too. And beginning of your 3rd year is NOT that late to be changing your major. It takes ~2 years to get all the prereqs for micro anyway, which I assume you've been doing since Biology is very similar.

peace.

Hi I need to know is industrial microbiology better to major than microbiology for entering a good medical school. I would appreciate your help.

Bridget? Hrm, never got that email I guess :p Don't ruin the dream for me, I defied the average! :p
Thank you sir but what do you mean by average I could be an honors student for all we know. My sister got a request from colombia university, Yale, Harvard university and many other prestigious universities. But she is in NYU Poly tech HEOP program now.

Thank you sir but what do you mean by average I could be an honors student for all we know. My sister got a request from colombia university, Yale, Harvard university and many other prestigious universities. But she is in NYU Poly tech HEOP program now.

:wtf:.... this thread is 2 years old and your reply doesn't even have anything to do with the origional question?

:slap:

I LOL'ed

His first post was also to revive a dead thread :claps:

PS: Who thought that this smiley was of a SDNer who spends way too much time on the computer making at an awful attempt to lift weights... :shrug::shrug:
Honestly thought that for the longest time...

Microbiology is a little harder but very fun and interesting

wow, it's me from 2 years ago..............

fwiw, microbio has been super fun! dont think i'll ever get confused between bacteria and eukaryotes again =D

:thumbup:
I don't agree with anyone here. I think Microbiology is the way to go.

1) It doesn't take any longer than a bio major... I did microbiology in 4 years without a problem.
2) You're taking the classes anyway. The difference between Bio and Micro is like 3 micro classes... you still take biochem/genetics/etc
3) Classes like micro will help with histology/genetics in dental school.
4) BS is better than a BA, just my opinion. Why wouldn't you get a bachelor's of science if you're a science major...
5) Think about the unthinkable possibility you don't make it into dental school (it happens), a microbiology degree will get you further than a plain ole' everyone-has-one biology degree. When a microbiology lab is looking to hire, who do you think they pick, the resume with a Biology degree or Microbiology degree. Likewise, they pick the Mol Gen guy over the Bio guy in a Genetics lab. Biology degrees are harder to get jobs with.
6) Micro is just frickin' cool.

If you have the smarts to get into dental school you can handle microbiology. Research looks good on application too. And beginning of your 3rd year is NOT that late to be changing your major. It takes ~2 years to get all the prereqs for micro anyway, which I assume you've been doing since Biology is very similar.

peace.

:thumbup: B.S. in Micro. 4 years. Same school. Currently employed by a micro lab while I apply to D school. Easier to get research positions with a more specialized major.

:thumbup:

:thumbup: B.S. in Micro. 4 years. Same school. Currently employed by a micro lab while I apply to D school. Easier to get research positions with a more specialized major.

Yep. I made this decision two years ago and I feel i picked wrong. I liked the couple of micro classes I took, but went for the bio degree instead. It's totally useless if I don't get into d-school. Micro all the way.

I wish my school offered Microbiology and Neuroscience major :D

I am stuck with Biochemistry.