1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Biology - What is a sugar?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by skyisblue, May 2, 2007.

1. skyisblue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What is considered a sugar?

Are formaldehyde and ketone bodies sugars?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Membership Revoked
    Removed

Carbohydrates or sugars are another type of organic molecule, containing carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen. The name carbohydrate comes from the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen that is the same in these compounds as in water. In reality, the hydrogen and oxygen atoms are not arranged as they are in water, but primarily as alcohols. Ketones, aldehydes, and ether functional groups might also be present in suger
    the suffix ose indicates that the substance is a sugar. Some simple sugars can be described (not named) based on the number of carbons (named with the same root as all organic molecules) and the ose suffix and a prefix of aldo if the sugar contains an aldehyde and keto if the sugar contains a ketone. These types of sugars can react with themselves, creating a hemiacetal from an alcohol group and the carbonyl group in the sugar. This reaction is called cyclization because a ring is also formed.
    I hope this clears up the problem
    so answer to your questionk, they are not suger, but a suger can have keton or aldehayde group.

4. doctorloomis

doctorloomis Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's right. They are not sugars by themselves (ketones and aldehydes), but they can be coupled through various reactions to incorporate sugars into their constituency. Ketose sugars and aldos were covered in my biochem lecture a few weeks back, so I can vouch for this as well.

5. ddstobe

5+ Year Member

It's the stuff I put in my latte cup every morning at 6.

6. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Agreed!