SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Biology - What is a sugar?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by skyisblue, May 2, 2007.

1. skyisblue

skyisblue 2+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2006
    What is considered a sugar?

Are formaldehyde and ketone bodies sugars?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Prosthoman

Prosthoman Banned Banned

May 29, 2006
    Carbohydrates or sugars are another type of organic molecule, containing carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen. The name carbohydrate comes from the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen that is the same in these compounds as in water. In reality, the hydrogen and oxygen atoms are not arranged as they are in water, but primarily as alcohols. Ketones, aldehydes, and ether functional groups might also be present in suger
    the suffix ose indicates that the substance is a sugar. Some simple sugars can be described (not named) based on the number of carbons (named with the same root as all organic molecules) and the ose suffix and a prefix of aldo if the sugar contains an aldehyde and keto if the sugar contains a ketone. These types of sugars can react with themselves, creating a hemiacetal from an alcohol group and the carbonyl group in the sugar. This reaction is called cyclization because a ring is also formed.
    I hope this clears up the problem
    so answer to your questionk, they are not suger, but a suger can have keton or aldehayde group.

4. doctorloomis

doctorloomis Junior Member 2+ Year Member

May 18, 2006
    That's right. They are not sugars by themselves (ketones and aldehydes), but they can be coupled through various reactions to incorporate sugars into their constituency. Ketose sugars and aldos were covered in my biochem lecture a few weeks back, so I can vouch for this as well.

5. ddstobe

ddstobe 5+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2006
    It's the stuff I put in my latte cup every morning at 6.

6. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan! 10+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed!