Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question. I've been looking at the pre-reqs for some med schools. Obviously, they all say at least a year of bio. I didn't take general biology I, I took general biology II. Does that mean I could take a semester of anat and phys and satisfy the requirements? Thanks
biggrin.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I think you must take Gen Bio I. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it has to be a year of general bio, and anymore bio's aren't required, but they'll go into your sci GPA. I would call the schools to double check...good luck
biggrin.gif

I disagree. If I was a requirement for II, and you were able to opt out, then there is no reason to go back to I. Your premed advisor at your school should be able to help you out on this. If you take further applied courses and do well, it will illustrate that you had already mastered the concepts in I anyways, so again the lack of that specific class is superfluous. It wouldn't hurt to verify this with a call to the admissions office of a school on your potential list (tho the local advisor may be more helpful in general). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take a semester or two more of biology whether you need it or not on paper, because it will most likely help you out in the long run. I'm sure that anatomy will be helpful in the future, or microbio, which are both loweer level classes that you should be able to take without many pre-reqs. The extra bio may also be helpful when it comes time for the MCAT too. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

------------------
^v^

I was a biology major and took Gen Bio I and not II. Instead I took a higher level Bio class to fulfill the school's requirement. It apparently also fulfills my medical school's requirements.

G

I don't think it matters. My school only has one semester of plain bio. Everyone here takes Bio of the cell and genetics for their bio requirements.