Biomechanics major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closer23

Liberal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've never heard of biomechanical engineering as a major, but that doesn't mean it's not out there - you seem to have found some schools with one. I'd imagine that in most cases, biomechanics is a concentration within biomedical or mechanical engineering. In my BME program, the department provided lists of recommended courses for people who wanted a particular track within the discipline, e.g. biomechanics, computational biomedical engineering, etc. By choosing their electives from those lists, students could tailor their education to explore particular interests more deeply. Honestly, the idea of a pure biomechanics major seems a little too....narrow (?) for an undergraduate discipline. From my own experience in engineering, your undergraduate education should give you broad exposure to the general field before you begin to specialize during post-graduate education. But I'd need to see the curriculum before really passing judgment on the program.

Sounds like biomechanics would involve all sorts of physical applications to medicine, like in orthopedics, tissue growth, etc. Typical classes might involve statics, deformable body mechanics, numerical methods, finite element modeling...Its hard to know if you'd enjoy that stuff before "testing it out". Maybe you could shadow a current student or wikipedia some of the topics i mentioned.

As a biomedical engineering major, i know that biomechanics was an optional branch of my major, along with bioelectricity, cell & tissue, biomaterials, etc.