Quantcast

Biomedical engineering/pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay2324

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Yes, you read the title right. Is this possible? im just curious because it seems like a great program to pursue, especially since i want to go to UT and the cockrell school of engineering is one of the best engineering schools from what i've heard. I know this is going to be very rigorous but does anybody think this is possible? i would think that most the required courses for pre med are also required for BME. Please let me know, and if you are pursuing this same route, tell me how its going.

thanks

Whatyousay

A few loose screws
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About 30-40% of the BMEs at UT go on to medical school.

Short answer: Yes, it's definitely possible.

Longer answer: If you're committed to pursuing medicine, and you're not particularly interested in research, just major in biology or something else. There are much easier paths to medical school.

PM me if you have any specific questions about BME at UT.

cxp119

4.5 more years
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely possible, and possible to do well and go to a good program.

M1 in an MD/PhD program, PM me if you have questions.

AestheticMed

Doctorate in Broscience
Reaction score
A bunch of my friends are doing BME at UT in a couple of weeks. Yeah, it's quite hard at UT. Heads up, they've told me they already have an assignment and have been emailed by their prof that they have some sort of exam on the 1st day, and if they fail they get kicked out or something.

km17

Annyong
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a biomed at a top program. I picked BME because I wanted to bring a problem-solving background to med school, and liked math. I got out just fine with good grades, and the only additional classes I needed to take were Orgo 2 and Synth lab.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a biomed at a top program. I picked BME because I wanted to bring a problem-solving background to med school, and liked math. I got out just fine with good grades, and the only additional classes I needed to take were Orgo 2 and Synth lab.

:thumbup:

MrBird

Removed
Reaction score
It's possible if you're willing to be diligent. Considering med school will likely require similar dedication, you should be able to handle it just fine if you plan on doing reasonably well in med school in the future.

And yes, your gpa will likely take a hit. No, an engineering major probably won't impress adcoms any more than other majors, unless you get an unholy gpa of 3.8+ in it.

I want to know something, though. You're attracted to the BME program because it's supposedly renowned, but why does that matter if you plan on being a physician?

Healer of Ills

Reaction score
This makes absolutely no sense. One is not supposed to care or be interested in there undergraduate program of study because they are considering medical school? We might as well all major in basket weaving.

CursedtoFirst45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This makes absolutely no sense. One is not supposed to care or be interested in there undergraduate program of study because they are considering medical school? We might as well all major in basket weaving.

If it'd help me get a 3.9 plus, I'd major toilet cleaning.

jay2324

Reaction score
It's possible if you're willing to be diligent. Considering med school will likely require similar dedication, you should be able to handle it just fine if you plan on doing reasonably well in med school in the future.

And yes, your gpa will likely take a hit. No, an engineering major probably won't impress adcoms any more than other majors, unless you get an unholy gpa of 3.8+ in it.

I want to know something, though. You're attracted to the BME program because it's supposedly renowned, but why does that matter if you plan on being a physician?
it just seems like something id be interested in. Just like i want to be a physician, i also think BME would be a great field to study as well....and it basically has all the pre med classes (killing two birds with one stone)

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

We could very well major in basket weaving. As long as you get a high GPA and good grades in the pre-med courses, your major is pretty insignificant.

AestheticMed

Doctorate in Broscience
Reaction score
I'd think it make sense for a potential orthopedic surgeon(me) to take it simply b/c orthopedics is the construction of medicine. And engineering is fixing and building things. Biomed is simply the icing on that awesome sauce cake.