Biomedical Engineering Research, How does it look for residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hari-bhari

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 1st year M.D. student and am currently looking into projects for the summer. I am not really interested in basic science research too much, and clinical seems to be a bit better, but I hear a lot of the times you just collect data from patients' charts and don't really learn much.

I would really prefer to do some biomedical engineering research instead, which I did 4 years of in undergrad. I have the opportunity to go back to the lab I worked in previously for 3 years and get a paper put out this summer on the project I had been working on. I would also most likely be first author on this paper.

So my question is this, when applying for residencies, which would look better? BME research with a paper out, or basic sciences/clinical research hopefully in the field that you end up in.

Members don't see this ad.

Most students don't publish any papers, regardless of field and type of science. In that sense, it doesn't matter what you do. It matters more of what you want to do. And besides, you'll be exposed to so many fields and so many different aspects of medicine that you tastes will likely change in the next year or so.*

(*from a biomedical engineer -> med student who had the same thoughts/questions you have)

Most students don't publish any papers, regardless of field and type of science. In that sense, it doesn't matter what you do. It matters more of what you want to do. And besides, you'll be exposed to so many fields and so many different aspects of medicine that you tastes will likely change in the next year or so.*

(*from a biomedical engineer -> med student who had the same thoughts/questions you have)

so go for the bme?