Biomedical Engineering - What counts as science to AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stmrrll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to DO school this coming summer. I have one more semester in my biomedical engineering undergrad. Currently my sGPA is a 3.5 and my cGPA is a 3.25. I calculated the sGPA using ONLY chem, biol/xool, and phys designations and wasn't sure if I should also add in bioengineering classes (i.e. biomaterials, biotransport, physiology for engineers, biomolecular engineering and biomechanics). If I add these classes my sGPA will drop so I wasn't sure if I needed to or if it was at my discretion for the AACOMAS GPA calculation.

Also I'd be curious to see what you're opinion is on possible acceptance. I haven't taken the MCAT. My ECs include 300 hrs in a biomedical polymers research lab, 500 hrs in a stem cell lab at harvard med school, 50 hrs conducting physical education classes for children with disabilities, 30 hrs 3rd-5th grade math tutor and 300 hrs volunteering in the ER at a local hospital. The hospital volunteering was done in 2008-2009 so I'm not quite sure if it still counts. Any input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure biomolecular engineering counts as a science course...for the rest of the classes it depends on the class description...if it involves biology, chemistry or physics to a certain degree then it will count as a science course and AACOMAS will automatically change it

Check out the application manual on the AACOMAS site. It has pretty much everything course designation broken down. At least enough that you can make a pretty good guess as to where classes fit.

And impossible to determine your chances without an MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! That application manual was very helpful. Another question I had is if I retook a couple of classes over the summer would I be fine to send my transcripts in and apply following the summer (late August) or is that a little late to the game?

Thanks! That application manual was very helpful. Another question I had is if I retook a couple of classes over the summer would I be fine to send my transcripts in and apply following the summer (late August) or is that a little late to the game?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can get your primary verified in June/July and then submit your summer grades so you're ready to go once they update your application. Late August is fine, I applied late July and had a successful cycle.