biomedical research abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yourpeep

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a student interested in doing summer biomedical research abroad (in an english speaking country). Does anybody know of any programs that are open to US undergraduates?

Members don't see this ad.

there are various institutionally linked programs at cambridge and oxford - as well as at the london school of tropical medicine and hygiene. secondly - i woudln't discount some awesome programs in non-english speaking countriesl such as the max plank institutes; chances are they speak english just fine there (and you get to pick up german while at it).

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest that you apply for summer undergraduate research programs in the United States if you haven't done so already. They are more established and have the funding to provide you housing and living stipend. The more competitive programs even have money to take you out for social excursions and travel.

I'm not aware of any summer undergraduate research programs overseas. The international summer programs that I have seen have all been taught courses. What you can do is e-mail P.I.s overseas and ask if they have any temp openings for summer research. Although, you most likely won't get a stipend like summer undergraduate programs in the United States. I'm at Cambridge Univ. and no one in the building knows of any summer exchange research programs.

I've participated in Baylor's SMART program and NYU's SURP. They both are excellent summer programs located in two great cities. Look into those.

If you want international experience, I suggest that you participate in a one-year MPhil program at Cambridge or Oxford. Good luck on your search.

Originally posted by randywei
I suggest that you apply for summer undergraduate research programs in the United States if you haven't done so already. They are more established and have the funding to provide you housing and living stipend. The more competitive programs even have money to take you out for social excursions and travel.

I would have to disagree with you on this one! There are a number of summer programs abroad that are funded through NIH and are organized. I know, because last summer I did research for 3 months abroad, It was a great program, I was able to immerse myself in the culture while doing some great science. Got free room and board and traveled extensively with a nice stipend.

Anyone want more info, pm me.
;)