Biomedical Science Masters at Barry University - Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDude99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just accepted into Barry University's one-year biomedical science master's program. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight or advice for this program. What would my workload/free time look like? I'm generally a pretty laid-back person, but I love working out and am concerned I won't be able to do that while classes are ongoing. Also, what is the living situation like there? Any particular area I should avoid looking for housing/ look for housing. Any insight to this program will be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I was just accepted into Barry University's one-year biomedical science master's program. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight or advice for this program. What would my workload/free time look like? I'm generally a pretty laid-back person, but I love working out and am concerned I won't be able to do that while classes are ongoing. Also, what is the living situation like there? Any particular area I should avoid looking for housing/ look for housing. Any insight to this program will be welcome. Thanks in advance!

It seems like the one year program is very rigorous. Students on the 2 year track has said they were able to hold part time jobs.

Hello! I'm currently a student and can definitely help you out. First of all, congratulations on being accepted! The one-year track is definitely intense, I will not sugar coat that; However, if you can get through the first semester (which is the hardest) then you can handle the rest of the program. Its 100% doable, there are many people who finish with 4.0s on the one year track, but you have to put in the work. My best advice to you is start studying from the first day of classes, there is no syllabus week or cramming in this program. If you stay on top of your material and even slightly ahead then you’ll be in good shape. Barry provides many resources to help you succeed such as free tutoring, open lab times, professor office hours, etc. So utilize those, because they really do make an impact on your grades. About the free time, I personally feel that if you manage your time well, there is time for relaxing, hanging out, or working out. You won’t have as much free time as those on the 18-month or 2 year track (I speak from experience), but it is very important that you take your breaks and do what you love, such as working out. Plenty of students in the program workout regularly. I don’t know many people who hold jobs in the program, but you should still look into extracurriculars and shadowing. We have several clubs that always hold volunteer events and even help you find opportunities. Like I said, its all about finding your balance and doing what’s best for you. About housing, I know you can try to get a dorm in Barry’s main campus, which is a 20 minute drive away. If you have the option to be closer then definitely look into that! There are plenty of apartments in the Hollywood area, try near young circle (only 5 min away from our campus), or the buildings that are west of i95. If you don’t mind a room mate or housemates there are always students in the program looking for someone to split an apartment with. I will warn you, rent in south Florida is expensive. I hope I was able to answer all your questions, and if you have any more or need anything please feel free to ask me! Good luck with everything!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm currently a student and can definitely help you out. First of all, congratulations on being accepted! The one-year track is definitely intense, I will not sugar coat that; However, if you can get through the first semester (which is the hardest) then you can handle the rest of the program. Its 100% doable, there are many people who finish with 4.0s on the one year track, but you have to put in the work. My best advice to you is start studying from the first day of classes, there is no syllabus week or cramming in this program. If you stay on top of your material and even slightly ahead then you’ll be in good shape. Barry provides many resources to help you succeed such as free tutoring, open lab times, professor office hours, etc. So utilize those, because they really do make an impact on your grades. About the free time, I personally feel that if you manage your time well, there is time for relaxing, hanging out, or working out. You won’t have as much free time as those on the 18-month or 2 year track (I speak from experience), but it is very important that you take your breaks and do what you love, such as working out. Plenty of students in the program workout regularly. I don’t know many people who hold jobs in the program, but you should still look into extracurriculars and shadowing. We have several clubs that always hold volunteer events and even help you find opportunities. Like I said, its all about finding your balance and doing what’s best for you. About housing, I know you can try to get a dorm in Barry’s main campus, which is a 20 minute drive away. If you have the option to be closer then definitely look into that! There are plenty of apartments in the Hollywood area, try near young circle (only 5 min away from our campus), or the buildings that are west of i95. If you don’t mind a room mate or housemates there are always students in the program looking for someone to split an apartment with. I will warn you, rent in south Florida is expensive. I hope I was able to answer all your questions, and if you have any more or need anything please feel free to ask me! Good luck with everything!

What track are you on. Med or dental?

Do you think Barry Admissions would allow me to switch from 1year to 18 month? I've been out of college for 2 years and feel like if I throw myself into a heavy course load like that, I'm setting myself up for failure. I want to do as well as possible so I can get into dental school and not waste my time and money there. I know it takes hard work and dedication, but I'm not sure going from two years of no classes to 18 hours per semester would be the smartest idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think Barry Admissions would allow me to switch from 1year to 18 month? I've been out of college for 2 years and feel like if I throw myself into a heavy course load like that, I'm setting myself up for failure. I want to do as well as possible so I can get into dental school and not waste my time and money there. I know it takes hard work and dedication, but I'm not sure going from two years of no classes to 18 hours per semester would be the smartest idea.

Yes, if you speak to them early enough (before the drop deadlines), you can make a schedule that works for you. Thats the good thing of our program, the director and admissions truly want everyone to succeed, whether it means you finish in 1 year or 2 years. You definitely have that option. I know many people who have done the same.

DentalDude99 same I am starting in the 2 year dental track at Barry this coming Fall 2017. I am pretty laid back myself and looking for a roommate to study with since I want to be balanced and not waste my time either to be successful in getting into Dental School. I am currently looking at housing in the hollywood/miami area that is a close commute to campus and its' in a safe area. Message me

Last edited: