Biomedical Sciences as a Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rasajdak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it wise to choose a major in biomedical sciences? I know I definately want to do a science major, but this just seems the most appealing to me. The only problem I can see with it is, what career other than medicine could you get with a degree in biomedical sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

rasajdak said:
Is it wise to choose a major in biomedical sciences? I know I definately want to do a science major, but this just seems the most appealing to me. The only problem I can see with it is, what career other than medicine could you get with a degree in biomedical sciences?

I see from your prior posts that you are still a freshman. My advice is to take all the med school prereqs (you have to in any event), but don't officially declare a major yet. If you are getting A's, you won't need a fall-back career, and you can major in biomed (or anything, really -- being a science major doesn't improve med school chances, but do it if you like it). If your GPA is rocky, then maybe you want to hedge your bets and major in the science (bio, chem) you are doing best in, as there will be more science-related careers available to you besides medicine in that event. But ultimately you have a lot of possible careers you can choose from no matter what your major. Even business and law paths are open to scientists.

Hey, I'm a freshman at UB and I also am contemplating whether to major in BMS or not. Biology was the natural option for me until I found out that you had to take Ecology (which I'm not interested in). I think that the BMS pathway has a lot of good electives that you can choose from, but I kind of disagree with when you are supposed to take some of those courses. It's also difficult to plan those courses because a lot of them are on South Campus. I'd also like to know what the degree is good for.