Biopsych, biomed research, and psych stats: BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know you probably get tired of answering these questions, but I have a couple of "gray area" questions regarding BCPM and was wondering if anyone who's been in a similar situation might be able to help out...

My university offers biological psychology and neuropsych through the psych department, and while these are science-based courses (biopsych=basically elementary neuro and physiology), I'm not sure if these would count toward the BCPM or not given the departmental classification. I have the same question regards a stats course offered through the psych department--does it count as "math"?

Also, it was my understanding that science research course credit does NOT count toward the BCPM, right?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm calling/emailing AMCAS next week. Only question I have is if the answer I am given will hold up when my application is verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research Credit: I would agree with you, probably not "included" in the BCPM group. My undergrad is was P/F anyway and had a semi-generic course designation with a description of whatever you came up with. Pretty much only for experience.

You should be able to submit the biopysch and neuropsych courses as sciences. I was in a similar boat, had a behavioral genetics and physiological pysch (basically neuroscience physio) class that I listed as sciences and were accepted and approved as such by AMCAS, even though they were technically through the Pysch Dept.

Research Credit: I would agree with you, probably not "included" in the BCPM group. My undergrad is was P/F anyway and had a semi-generic course designation with a description of whatever you came up with. Pretty much only for experience.

You should be able to submit the biopysch and neuropsych courses as sciences. I was in a similar boat, had a behavioral genetics and physiological pysch (basically neuroscience physio) class that I listed as sciences and were accepted and approved as such by AMCAS, even though they were technically through the Pysch Dept.

Yeah, that's what I thought about research, even though ours here is for a traditional letter grade. Thanks for the input!:)