1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Biopsych, biomed research, and psych stats: BCPM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by biogirl215, May 6, 2008.

1. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Hi all,

I know you probably get tired of answering these questions, but I have a couple of "gray area" questions regarding BCPM and was wondering if anyone who's been in a similar situation might be able to help out...

My university offers biological psychology and neuropsych through the psych department, and while these are science-based courses (biopsych=basically elementary neuro and physiology), I'm not sure if these would count toward the BCPM or not given the departmental classification. I have the same question regards a stats course offered through the psych department--does it count as "math"?

Also, it was my understanding that science research course credit does NOT count toward the BCPM, right?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks a ton!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UVAbme2009

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm calling/emailing AMCAS next week. Only question I have is if the answer I am given will hold up when my application is verified.

4. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Research Credit: I would agree with you, probably not "included" in the BCPM group. My undergrad is was P/F anyway and had a semi-generic course designation with a description of whatever you came up with. Pretty much only for experience.

You should be able to submit the biopysch and neuropsych courses as sciences. I was in a similar boat, had a behavioral genetics and physiological pysch (basically neuroscience physio) class that I listed as sciences and were accepted and approved as such by AMCAS, even though they were technically through the Pysch Dept.

5. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Yeah, that's what I thought about research, even though ours here is for a traditional letter grade. Thanks for the input!:)