biostatistics review for step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really suck at biostats. I dont have a good grasp at it (read FA and attempted UW questions for biostats and did terrible.) Are there any good review books which are quick reads? I know that its not that high yield but from what I have heard, they are starting to ask a lot more questions on it.
Thanks
Sox

Members don't see this ad.

I really suck at biostats. I dont have a good grasp at it (read FA and attempted UW questions for biostats and did terrible.) Are there any good review books which are quick reads? I know that its not that high yield but from what I have heard, they are starting to ask a lot more questions on it.
Thanks
Sox

Try Kaplan I heard it is pretty good for biostatistic.

Thanks
Sox

Weak area for myself also, I crammed those when I needed them for my exams and now I can't remember them :(. Right now I'm halfway through the UW subject review, while I don't think its great I think it might be enough. Its only 25.00/3 months and since I was getting all the biostats questions in USMLERx wrong I thought it would be worth trying.I'm also reading the BRS Behavioral Science- the last chapters have all the important equations and practice problems.
Will use Kaplan on Friday and hopefully get at least most of those questions right.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies, guys. What about high yield for biostats? Any reviews on that?

thanks for the replies, guys. What about high yield for biostats? Any reviews on that?

I own HY Biostats and HY Behavioral Science. I'm currently waiting for BRS Behavioral Science in the mail.

HY Biostats is worth the skim (~5 hours of your time). It's a short book (~100 pages) but IMO still too detailed for the Step. I can tell that it's good in whole if you're taking an actual biostats course.

There are 68 questions total when combining the end-of-chapter review Qs.

There seems to be some good concise info (couple paragraphs) for every topic that FA might breeze over (i.e. two solid paragraphs explaining ANOVA, whereas FA just says "ANOVA is for 3+ means.")

I'm looking to combine the Qs from HY Biostats (68) with the ~500 from BRS Behavioral Science = ~568, and just spend a solid week on the stuff. By all means, I really don't want to, but it will probably be worth it (i.e. even if the time spent only ultimately results in getting 3 additional questions out of 30 behavioral/biostats Qs on the actual exam correct, I still think it's worth it).

To that effect, could you please comment on how you find BRS Behavioral so far (especially in relation to Qs that you've encountered in the QBank, if possible)?

Thanks!

~Phloston

I recommend the Kaplan behavioral science videos from 2010 if you have come across those. I think they are floating around the Internet. Marvelous lectures by a well spoken Doc from Chicago goes through all the important biostats and epid stuff among other things. I've watched some of these videos and my behavioral scores have significantly improved.

I recommend the Kaplan behavioral science videos from 2010 if you have come across those. I think they are floating around the Internet. Marvelous lectures by a well spoken Doc from Chicago goes through all the important biostats and epid stuff among other things. I've watched some of these videos and my behavioral scores have significantly improved.

DrDJShik, could you please be more specific? Did you watch 4 hours worth of video, 6 hours? Did your behavioral science scores in QBank go up 5%, 10%? Which QBank? Or are you referring to class scores?

Thanks!

So far I've watched probably about 3 hrs of video but at a faster pace (1.6x) I've noticed that most of the questions I get asked on USMLERx I can now get right as opposed to mostly wrong previously. Even if it's something I haven't watched in the video, I can usually excluded many of the answers based on what I did actually learn from the videos. Those videos cover everything you need to know and I'll likely be watching the rest of them (probably another 3-4 hrs) because behavioral sciences is my worst section implied by both USMLERx and the NBME I took last week