biostats vs. epi? help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elisek110

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am very conflicted as to which major and field to choose. I love doing statistical analyses, but it seems that will be a large part of either one of these careers. I am also interested in disease research, but may be just as satisfied doing statistical research for any PH field. I have read tons of different internet resources, spoken with my advisor, and look up career descriptions. I'm wondering if anyone in either field can tell me a few things..

Which career is more marketable (and more job opportunities), assuming I enter the field with an MPH degree?

Which career has more possibilities for advancement, raises, etc.?

What are the real differences between the two careers? not the cookie cutter ones you can read on any website.

Is being a biostatistician a much more prestigious job, or are they pretty much the same?

Any input on anything would be SO helpful.. I just can't seem to decide.
Also, would have a double major make me more marketable, or not make much difference?
Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Which career is more marketable (and more job opportunities), assuming I enter the field with an MPH degree?

This depends on what you want to go into. Whether you want to do public investigations (like disease outbreaks), research, or clinical trials. Biostatistics is more useful for the later two, while the former is best suited for Epidemiology.

Which career has more possibilities for advancement, raises, etc.?
Both are about equal. You'll always be capped at a master's-level position if working for a company or group.

What are the real differences between the two careers? not the cookie cutter ones you can read on any website.

This question is hard to answer, especially without the context of which career direction you'd like to take either one. Generally, in Epidemiology you work with design and implementation, in Statistics you work with analysis and troubleshooting.

Is being a biostatistician a much more prestigious job, or are they pretty much the same?

This is a relative question. But they're both pretty decent jobs.

Any input on anything would be SO helpful.. I just can't seem to decide.
Also, would have a double major make me more marketable, or not make much difference?
Thank you all!

Again, depends on the career direction. Sometimes it could help, other times it probably doesn't matter at all.