1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Biostats

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by CT, Jan 16, 2002.

1. CT

CT Member
    10+ Year Member

I was wondering, how helpful would biostats be for med school? I notice that it is something I would have to take at most schools and was trying to decide if it would be that helpful to already have some experience with it. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

in a word...VERY!!!! We are learning biostats in our practice of medicine class and it is, to say the least, confusing as all getout. Im guessing it would make more sense if I had any clue what they were talking about - ARR, RRR, Power, the various tests (some of these I know, like the t test and Chi squared, others...not so much). 2x2 tables, types of studies, errors, biases....etc. If you have the time and want to, take a class. But dont take it over something else you want to take - you're only in college once!

Star

4. My brother is a Biostatistics major. It seems like something that could be applied to public health very easily. If I were more of a mathematical person, I would definantly take it.

Most schools have biostatistics? How many have biostats majors, I was wondering...?

My opinion is that you should definantly take a statistics class if you are ever going to be reading over results sections of primary studies. A lack of statistics knowledge is a lack of a very important skill- it's a lot more handier than Calculus...

5. Vasiley Zaitsev

Vasiley Zaitsev Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

6. giantDHrider

giantDHrider Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

biostats is a worthless class...at least at my school. just simple math, reading tables, and know the rules...

its not hard...everyone i've spoken to, both upperclassmen, residents, and physicians...say that in the whole scheme of things, its just not that important.

don't sweat it dude.

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Biostats is a requirement for a Biology degree at my school. I think the only other way to fulfill the requirement is by taking Analytical Chemistry. Needless to say, most people opt for the stats.

I have seen Biostats as part of a few medical school curricula. Jefferson comes to mind.

As far as medical school, it would probably be helpful. Then again, anything that can give you a small advantage by having seen the material before will make your life easier.

But in the giant scheme of medicine, as someone mentioned above, it probably won't be the most vital class you will take.

That, of course, is not the case if you plan on doing research, publishing a scientific paper, reading many scientific papers, or becoming a Quizzo champion.

8. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish I would have taken a biostats course in undergrad. I got killed on the Preventative Medicine/Epidemiology portions of my last two exams.