BioTech Internships?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mish550

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Do you think working at a biotech company during the summer such as Genentech, would be helpful for admissions or not?
All advice appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally am not a big fan of working at biotech firms since their main objective is to generate a lot of money as fast as they can. A position at a biotech firm doesn't allow much opportunity to learn new lab techniques (if that is what you want to do). In most places, you will learn one technique, master it, and continue doing it for as long as you are there. In a sense, it's basically like any other paying job with the exception that you are in a science environment.

Contrarily, if you are able to land a position at a research laboratory, I believe the situation might be better in terms of your med school application. You will be able to learn multiple lab protocols and show adcoms that you are interested in a certain area of research (rather than just making money). It's a definite plus over biotech firms.

But of course this is just my opinion. I could be wrong. :)

IMHO biotechs are not a negative to the application. They can help by showing your commitment to research.
But if i were you, I would rather work in academia. A reserach lab would be more reflective of your commitment to medicine i think.
If I could do it over again, i would have done some more clinical research. But I don't regret doing academic research at all. Helps to get published. I think nowadays, a publication (2,3rd authorship) is expected if you do research for at least 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently working for a biotech firm, and it is the coolest thing I have done so far in my premedical career. Plus, my supervisor said that he has two previous interns who have both gotten published and gotten accepted into medical school after only a summer. Sounds like a good deal to me. Plus, you don't just learn one lab technique and reuse it. You learn cutting edge technology from scientists who love science and just happen to have the need to make money. It is challenging, and it offers you a chance to get some money. I definitely encourage it.

humps....they published after only a summer?!??! :eek: :eek: Sounds like a good deal to me too! Guess I got the bad end of a deal. I've been working in a lab for 2+ years and still have yet to publish. Well, I guess I am wrong in my opinion about biotech firms then!! (Perhaps even a little bitter!!) Sorry!! :D :D