1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Bipolar Disorder

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Peeshee, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,
    does anyone know of successful doctors with bipolar disorder? The reason I ask is because I know a first year medical student who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and I am just wondering what the future might be for this student. I know it is managed quite well with medications, as long as the person is compliant, but people with bipolar tend to start things and never finish what they started. I guess that is part of the grandiose ideas that they have.
    Let me know if you have any other info.
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nilblue

nilblue Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, It's Ok for a bipolar patient to continue medical education, provided he/she is on mood stabilisers like lithium/AEDs etc. He/she will be stable and able to pursue the studies/rigors of medical education without any prob. However he/she should be monitored by a psychiatrist and his/her support group including spouse/friends/family for any sign of any mood swing and any indication of suicidal ideas and substance use(these are major complications of this disease).
    I personally know a guy who passed his boards and completed his internship with this disease and is practising in a community-albeit he has not reached his full potential as a doctor.
    Hope this helps.