Bipolar Disorder

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Peeshee, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,
    does anyone know of successful doctors with bipolar disorder? The reason I ask is because I know a first year medical student who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and I am just wondering what the future might be for this student. I know it is managed quite well with medications, as long as the person is compliant, but people with bipolar tend to start things and never finish what they started. I guess that is part of the grandiose ideas that they have.
    Let me know if you have any other info.
    Thanks!

2. nilblue

nilblue Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, It's Ok for a bipolar patient to continue medical education, provided he/she is on mood stabilisers like lithium/AEDs etc. He/she will be stable and able to pursue the studies/rigors of medical education without any prob. However he/she should be monitored by a psychiatrist and his/her support group including spouse/friends/family for any sign of any mood swing and any indication of suicidal ideas and substance use(these are major complications of this disease).
    I personally know a guy who passed his boards and completed his internship with this disease and is practising in a community-albeit he has not reached his full potential as a doctor.
    Hope this helps.