Bipolar Disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
does anyone know of successful doctors with bipolar disorder? The reason I ask is because I know a first year medical student who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and I am just wondering what the future might be for this student. I know it is managed quite well with medications, as long as the person is compliant, but people with bipolar tend to start things and never finish what they started. I guess that is part of the grandiose ideas that they have.
Let me know if you have any other info.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, It's Ok for a bipolar patient to continue medical education, provided he/she is on mood stabilisers like lithium/AEDs etc. He/she will be stable and able to pursue the studies/rigors of medical education without any prob. However he/she should be monitored by a psychiatrist and his/her support group including spouse/friends/family for any sign of any mood swing and any indication of suicidal ideas and substance use(these are major complications of this disease).
I personally know a guy who passed his boards and completed his internship with this disease and is practising in a community-albeit he has not reached his full potential as a doctor.
Hope this helps.