Bipolar disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dante88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Bipolar II disorder patient, I wish to be a doctor. I was accepted to St. John's College Santa Fe New Mexico. I am told by my tutors to relax and not fret about the grades as St. John's Students are recognized for having gone through one of the most rigorous course works in the country.

Unfortunately, as I lost my girlfriend some time in the first semester, my psychiatric situation worsen, i.e.. I have an episode. And it affected my performance in class. As all my classes in st. johns are graded by how we talked in the class, word salad, i.e., I got 3 Cs and one B+ the B+ being at lab component of the program. according to my calculation for me to get a 3.75 GPA I need to score an A in every class from now onwards. I am currently on academic leave, I may return to finish the second semester of freshman year in late may. St. John's have a summer semester.

I was wondering, if I stand a better chance of getting into a MD/Phd Program if I transfer to Hiram College and start over. As I was accepted there, or to Shimer College and start over. I am told if I attend Shimer I would graduate in 2 years instead of 4 years at st. john's College with my college credits.

I am currently getting treated for my disease and wish some one could shed light on the problem, as my assistant dean only rhapsodize about a friend of his who got Cs and Ds in his freshman year and ended up in Dartmouth. I hope someone who knows a thing or two about The liberal arts school I mention would fill me in.

I would prefer an Ivy league school for my MD/Phd program. I am looking at Stanford or Harvard. I don't mind doing Post bac premed if I can get into linkage program, can someone fill me in about linkage programs?

I am pretty smart and I work hard when I am not bonkers.

Any Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

For starters, have you asked your own doctor whether you can handle the pressure cooker of medical school?

Suggest contacting the medical schools you're interested in, and see what their policies are.

I am a Bipolar II disorder patient, I wish to be a doctor. I was accepted to St. John's College Santa Fe New Mexico. I am told by my tutors to relax and not fret about the grades as St. John's Students are recognized for having gone through one of the most rigorous course works in the country.

Unfortunately, as I lost my girlfriend some time in the first semester, my psychiatric situation worsen, i.e.. I have an episode. And it affected my performance in class. As all my classes in st. johns are graded by how we talked in the class, word salad, i.e., I got 3 Cs and one B+ the B+ being at lab component of the program. according to my calculation for me to get a 3.75 GPA I need to score an A in every class from now onwards. I am currently on academic leave, I may return to finish the second semester of freshman year in late may. St. John's have a summer semester.

I was wondering, if I stand a better chance of getting into a MD/Phd Program if I transfer to Hiram College and start over. As I was accepted there, or to Shimer College and start over. I am told if I attend Shimer I would graduate in 2 years instead of 4 years at st. john's College with my college credits.

I am currently getting treated for my disease and wish some one could shed light on the problem, as my assistant dean only rhapsodize about a friend of his who got Cs and Ds in his freshman year and ended up in Dartmouth. I hope someone who knows a thing or two about The liberal arts school I mention would fill me in.

I would prefer an Ivy league school for my MD/Phd program. I am looking at Stanford or Harvard. I don't mind doing Post bac premed if I can get into linkage program, can someone fill me in about linkage programs?

I am pretty smart and I work hard when I am not bonkers.

Any Advice?

For starters, have you asked your own doctor whether you can handle the pressure cooker of medical school?

Suggest contacting the medical schools you're interested in, and see what their policies are.

Firstly, going to medical school was my doctor's Idea. I became genuinely interested in that prospect only later in life, due to my reading of the works of sabina spielrein and axel menthe hence the current conundrum. I am 2 f-ing 3 years old. My psychiatrist been urging me on every moment she could despite whatever happened, she alter the medication to improve matters and then ask me to go for it. She keeps telling me how much I should be a doctor and that I can do it. My psychoanalyst says the same.

Secondly, I have no idea what is the protocol in terms of writing to medical school, do I just say hi I want to apply but I have this problem is it ok with you? I contact a few postbac premed program like goucher's and they say they are ok with it, and med schools are ok with it. Do I just take their word for it?

Any more suggestions?

Do any body know anyone who applied to med school from St. John's College Santa Fe USA?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can call their admissions departments. Don't give your real name if you don't want to, just ask if you can run a question by them like "I'm a so-and-so interested in applying to med school and my issue is this-and-that, how might that affect me?"

Remember, the school doesn't have the right to know your medical history, but you will have to somehow explain the bad performance and academic leave. Plus if you have another episode in med school, obviously they'll find out that something is up.

Do I tell them on the application when I am done with college that I am Bipolar II?