bipolar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

saiyagirl

i know someone who says he is bipolar without being manic. what does that mean exactly?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by saiyagirl
i know someone who says he is bipolar without being manic. what does that mean exactly?

That he's simply depressed, and shouldn't use the term bipolar. What meds does he take? Lithium? MAOIs? SSRIs?

That he's simply depressed, and shouldn't use the term bipolar. What meds does he talk? Lithium? MAOIs? SSRIs?

It doesn't necessarily mean he's just depressed. Bipolar II is periods of depression with periods of hypomania, but not mania, which is much more severe and often requires hospitalization. It's very possible that your friend has Bipolar II Disorder or Cyclothymic Disorder, although I wouldn't know. Basically all I'm saying is that you do not need to have episodes of mania to be bipolar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ExistentialistPhilosopher
It doesn't necessarily mean he's just depressed. Bipolar II is periods of depression with periods of hypomania, but not mania, which is much more severe and often requires hospitalization. It's very possible that your friend has Bipolar II Disorder or Cyclothymic Disorder, although I wouldn't know. Basically all I'm saying is that you do not need to have episodes of mania to be bipolar.

Yes, Bipolar II is also called hypomania or cyclothmia. People may feel high, but never have a true manic episodes. There are periods of depressed moods. You must be careful about anti-depressants in these individuals because these medications may result in full-blown mania.

A mood stabilizer like Lithium would be appropriate if the hypomanic episodes are distrupting his life.

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
Yes, Bipolar II is also called hypomania or cyclothmia. People may feel high, but never have a true manic episodes. There are periods of depressed moods. You must be careful about anti-depressants in these individuals because these medications may result in full-blown mania.

A mood stabilizer like Lithium would be appropriate if the hypomanic episodes are distrupting his life.

I see.

thanks--as i just found out, it IS bioplar II.

(i'm not sure what meds he's on, we didn't really talk about that...)