Bit of a crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danmitch15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So I finally realized just how behind I am after finally taking a look at where I stand after 2 years of college. I had to take this past semester off and because of confusion at my school I will also have to take next semester off as well and could only get into some gen ed classes (english courses) and an EMT-B course. After 2 years, the only pre med classes I have taken are Bio 1 and 2 and Calc I and II. My overall GPA is an atrocious 2.7. Basically I spent the last 2 years ruining my future and not applying myself at all.
I only have 4 semesters and 2 summers left to take 2 physics classes, 4 chem classes, as well as finish up my biology major (6 more courses) and complete my gen ed requirements.
So my understanding at this point is that I am completely screwed. Is there any chance of getting into med school (I do have the ability to do well in all these courses I have just havent applied myself up until this point)? Does it make more sense to go to a foreign med school? Should I wait to take the MCATs and apply to med school after graduation. I am completely lost at this point. Any information on just how screwed I am and if there is anything I can do to mend the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to graduate in four years. There's nothing that says you must do that. You have some time to bring your GPA up, but it's gonna need to happen as soon as you starting taking classes again. Just be prepared to explain your situation and what you've been doing with yourself instead of attending school. It's not impossible, and it sounds like you will probably want a gap year to get some clinical experience. Yes, you are a bit behind. But, you can still be a strong applicant, you just have to dedicate yourself to preparation for medical school. You haven't done that yet, so it will take change, and changing is a process. It won't happen overnight. Work your way into strong study habits. Surround yourself with the right people who are supportive. Volunteer. Ask questions. Be curious.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys

So I finally realized just how behind I am after finally taking a look at where I stand after 2 years of college. I had to take this past semester off and because of confusion at my school I will also have to take next semester off as well and could only get into some gen ed classes (english courses) and an EMT-B course. After 2 years, the only pre med classes I have taken are Bio 1 and 2 and Calc I and II. My overall GPA is an atrocious 2.7. Basically I spent the last 2 years ruining my future and not applying myself at all.
I only have 4 semesters and 2 summers left to take 2 physics classes, 4 chem classes, as well as finish up my biology major (6 more courses) and complete my gen ed requirements.
So my understanding at this point is that I am completely screwed. Is there any chance of getting into med school (I do have the ability to do well in all these courses I have just havent applied myself up until this point)? Does it make more sense to go to a foreign med school? Should I wait to take the MCATs and apply to med school after graduation. I am completely lost at this point. Any information on just how screwed I am and if there is anything I can do to mend the situation would be greatly appreciated.
DO schools offer grade replacement, stay domestic and get your crap together

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys

Well first you have to understand what is happening.
Normally DO schools require a overall and science gpa of a 3.5+. You need to raise your grades to at least a 3.5.
DO schools allow for grade replacement, so if you could retake those science classes you would be able to raise your grades.
Nothing is over, I am applying to DO school in the future and my grades weren't the best.. Yet I still have a good chance at getting in.
I would recommend against going Carribean, usually you don't have good chances to get in since their match rates are incredibly low.

With respect to take the MCAT it depends.. I would recommend you to boost those grades up asap and then take the MCAT.
But the rule is have 3.5s in your gpas and have at least a 27 on the MCAT.
Also your EMT/health care experience should be a plus.
DO schools are looking for those nontraditional students with health care experience and not just those 3.8 overall/science gpa students. Grades help yeah, but believe me when I tell you that they care a lot about the stuff you do in life and not just grades.

Good luck man!