Black...does this mean I will not be as succesful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skyrockavatar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at that stage and I really need help deciding between medicine and dentistry. I have always been influenced by physicians into pre medical studies and now that I am closer to applying, I realize a deep and sincere interest in dentistry. The lifestyle plus no residency are my main attraction to the field. Residency just seems brutal and since I am going to school to earn money, earning 3-6 years earlier will not hurt. What are your thoughts about my success as a Black dentist in America? Will I be discriminated against since most jobs are in private practices and not as large of an atmosphere as a hospital? WIll patients not want to come to you? Please be honest in your post. This is a very serious decision and I need help.

I have already done searches and nothing significant came up

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't worry about it.

you'll find discrimination and racism in every nook of life. being a minority myself, though not black, i can tell you many times where ive encountered prejudice. if you love this stuff, don't let this issue stand in the way. you have to learn how to confront it. you can't just keep running away from trouble. stand up for yourself!

you'll be great in anything you want to do. it's all in the mind.

I am at that stage and I really need help deciding between medicine and dentistry. I have always been influenced by physicians into pre medical studies and now that I am closer to applying, I realize a deep and sincere interest in dentistry. The lifestyle plus no residency are my main attraction to the field. Residency just seems brutal and since I am going to school to earn money, earning 3-6 years earlier will not hurt. What are your thoughts about my success as a Black dentist in America? Will I be discriminated against since most jobs are in private practices and not as large of an atmosphere as a hospital? WIll patients not want to come to you? Please be honest in your post. This is a very serious decision and I need help. I have already done searches and nothing significant came up Thanks

Not much of a reason to choose dentistry. You could have added that you wanted to save the world with all the money you will be making.

Members don't see this ad :)
why do people keep complaining about race and wondering how it impacts them. unless you are practicing in mississippi or alabama i dont see any negative impacts, and even there i doubt people would not go to a dentist b/c hes black.......

why are black people so paranoid that everyone is out to get them. im pretty sure most americans are NOT harboring racist sentiments. stop using your race card to get you through life

Look, I have never used a race card to get me through anything. If anything Race makes my life worse. But thats not the issue. The issue is whether or not race will play a part in success as a dentist. People of a specific race would much rather go to one of theirs however in the case of medicine, When life is in jeopardy, people might not care as much. Thats what I really want to know. I could care less what your thoughts are about people ....
Thanks

Look, I have never used a race card to get me through anything. If anything Race makes my life worse. But thats not the issue. The issue is whether or not race will play a part in success as a dentist. People of a specific race would much rather go to one of theirs however in the case of medicine, When life is in jeopardy, people might not care as much. Thats what I really want to know. I could care less what your thoughts are about people ....
Thanks

"Race makes life worse"...don't know what that means, but life isn't easier for ANY race contrary to what you may believe.

People aren't as closed minded anymore, grant it, there are some, but come on dude...a dentist is a dentist no matter what color they are. The proof is in the work you do, not the color of your skin. Choose a career where you want to be, not where you think you have to be.

why do people keep complaining about race and wondering how it impacts them. unless you are practicing in mississippi or alabama i dont see any negative impacts, and even there i doubt people would not go to a dentist b/c hes black.......

why are black people so paranoid that everyone is out to get them. im pretty sure most americans are NOT harboring racist sentiments. stop using your race card to get you through life

...Because it still exists from NYC to LA to Seattle to Miami to Detroit to Houston, etc. Sorry for the truth...but Race is still an issue - you see it everywhere in the media, at your school, at work, etc.

oh and if you're wondering I'm not a URM. they make me mark Caucasian on apps but I don't necessarily agree with it, because people still say offensive things about me - in front of my face. but whatever dude.

Well, you have a couple historically black dental schools who tend to focus on creating dentists that will work in underserved areas...that's not saying by any means that if you're black you have to go to those schools or practice in a certain place, but if you are interested and willing to you can make a huge difference in a deserving community. You have just as much capability to be successful as the next pre-dent/dental student, regardless of race.

I am at that stage and I really need help deciding between medicine and dentistry. I have always been influenced by physicians into pre medical studies and now that I am closer to applying, I realize a deep and sincere interest in dentistry. The lifestyle plus no residency are my main attraction to the field. Residency just seems brutal and since I am going to school to earn money, earning 3-6 years earlier will not hurt. What are your thoughts about my success as a Black dentist in America? Will I be discriminated against since most jobs are in private practices and not as large of an atmosphere as a hospital? WIll patients not want to come to you? Please be honest in your post. This is a very serious decision and I need help.

Thanks

regardless of what year you think your living in, this is not the 1960s, people will not interview you based on your skin color but rather by your merits as a professional. You earn that DDS/DMD degree and you my friend will have a job lined up for you first week you graduate.

as far as patients coming you, if your a good dentist and you try to comfort your patients as much as you can while your doing procedures on them, theyr gonna love coming back to you.

another thing, now being honest with your self and your fellow SDNer's about you only doing this for the money is one thing (and frankly I don't see anything wrong with it)... but do your self a favor and NEVER EVER mention this during the interview process or in your personal statment.... the last thing you want is the adcoms seeing you as a shallow individual.

Thanks

I had to jump on this one...Look OP im black and I dont understand why you think that black ppl wouldnt be successful just because of the color issue. I think its more about what you do with your degree in dentistry rather than the color of your skin. My dentist is AWESOME, URM, went to tennessee and came out great! Once again, I think its all about how you market yourself in this country and how you make others see how good you are in your profession. As a dentist you will ALWAYS have the population to work with no matter your skin color, I hope this boost some confidence man and goodluck...

If any body has it the worst in America its us white individuals. Lets see how many times minorities or blacks have to worry about being called a racist or accused of judging people on their skin color..NEVER. If anything minorities have it the best....ever see the race question on applications....yeah its there for a reason. Because you minorities are given PREFERENCE above us hard working while people for doing nothing but being of a different color. I am tired of having to work harder because I am white. Oh and dont even get me started on the MINORITY SCHOLARSHIPS that are dedicated to paying your way through school for again doing nothing. Finally i cant wait to see how many people call me ignorant or a racist, but hey sometimes the FACTS ARE HARD TO FACE.

If any body has it the worst in America its us white individuals. Lets see how many times minorities or blacks have to worry about being called a racist or accused of judging people on their skin color..NEVER. If anything minorities have it the best....ever see the race question on applications....yeah its there for a reason. Because you minorities are given PREFERENCE above us hard working while people for doing nothing but being of a different color. I am tired of having to work harder because I am white. Oh and dont even get me started on the MINORITY SCHOLARSHIPS that are dedicated to paying your way through school for again doing nothing. Finally i cant wait to see how many people call me ignorant or a racist, but hey sometimes the FACTS ARE HARD TO FACE.

somehow i doubt that.

what's with the self-pity, OP?

You must be looking through a shaded prism because the numbers for minority enrollees, especially black/Hispanics, just are not there. But maybe you can direct us to those "FACTS" that "ARE HARD TO FACE".

are you being sarcastic here? I am having a hard time believing you were serious....

Members don't see this ad :)

Southern white man here!! People like this^^^fine character do live in the south but they normally live in a double wide and beat their wives. So you would not want him as your patient anyways. For any minority large city's and "upscale yuppie suburbs" are your "safe" areas down here. If you go outside of these areas you will find cousinly love and Velveeta more prevalent but these people don't discriminate they are also "unsure" of outsiders such as Jews, middle eastern, Asians, Catholics, Democrats, Gays, the highly educated, blacks and the list goes on and on.

I'm trying to figure out why somebody thought this was going to be a productive conversation rather than leading to another dumb debate about a sensitive issue that will undoubtedly lead to a thread closure...

Minorities have it best? Wow...:laugh:, thats probably the most RIDICULOUS statement I have ever heard. Im done with this guy...

Wow exactly as I predicted. I love how everyone gets so fired up over this subject and no one has the time to look at numbers and opportunities. And to set the record straight i am from the ole mighty North. And as for FACTS, here yinz go. I would like to mention two schools, Howard University College of Dentistry and Meharry Medical College Dental School. Both ADVERTISE showing advantage to minorites, so please name ONE SCHOOL that advertises advantages toward non minorities. Also, the ADEA has a who page dedicated to minority scholarships, but again, please show me one dedicated to ONLY non minorities. And again, I am here to be enlightened and not yelled at, so i would appricate FACTS only. And also, i would love to see how many of the people getting mad at me are actually white.

Wow exactly as I predicted. I love how everyone gets so fired up over this subject and no one has the time to look at numbers and opportunities. And to set the record straight i am from the ole mighty North. And as for FACTS, here yinz go. I would like to mention two schools, Howard University College of Dentistry and Meharry Medical College Dental School. Both ADVERTISE showing advantage to minorites, so please name ONE SCHOOL that advertises advantages toward non minorities. Also, the ADEA has a who page dedicated to minority scholarships, but again, please show me one dedicated to ONLY non minorities. And again, I am here to be enlightened and not yelled at, so i would appricate FACTS only. And also, i would love to see how many of the people getting mad at me are actually white.

Well... there are 59 dental schools in USA, 2 of them "ADVERTISE" showing advantage for the minorities, and the other 57 "hide" the fact that they prefer non-minorities lmao

Wow, people can be so narrow minded. Always remember, its easier to criticize when you're on the sidelines as a third party. I personally think, unless you're black, you really can't say race isn't a factor. You guys should read some of Malcolm Gladwell's books, it could give you a new perspective on affirmative action (amongst many other things).

To the OP, unfortunately race is going to play into anything you do. I think its more important that you do what you want to do and what is gonna make you happy...not what you think your race will play the smallest role in. If dentistry is what you want to do, then go for it.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

you are entitled to your opinion. however if you stay on course for a cyber race war this will get shut down fast. please keep the tone profesisonal and civil...that goes for everybody.

@ Polo,

I think your argument is moot. If you look at the numbers, whites are a majority at most universities and (although, I don't have facts and I'm speculating) I don't believe they're commensurate with normal population distributions. Bottom line is, schools don't have to advertise as being white only or showing preference to whites because they're already the majority. Same goes for women only colleges...you don't see any men only colleges right?--because they're already the majority (I think).

Disclaimer-haha-I get mad when people say stuff without factual info, but I'm confident I recall accurate info in this case...so I'm gonna be a hypocrite.

@ Polo,

I think your argument is moot. If you look at the numbers, whites are a majority at most universities and (although, I don't have facts and I'm speculating) I don't believe they're commensurate with normal population distributions. Bottom line is, schools don't have to advertise as being white only or showing preference to whites because they're already the majority. Same goes for women only colleges...you don't see any men only colleges right?--because they're already the majority (I think).

Disclaimer-haha-I get mad when people say stuff without factual info, but I'm confident I recall accurate info in this case...so I'm gonna be a hypocrite.

I was with you for a minute, but there are indeed men only colleges: Hampden-Sydney College
Morehouse College
Wabash College
And a couple more...

Everyone else, ole boy is just fishing for attention, he even stated it in his 1st post, so lets not give him the satisfaction he desires regardless if we disagree (which I think the MAJORITY does...and thats a FACT...hahaha)

Skyrockavatar,

Women have JUST become the majority of the graduates in law and dental schools (maybe medical too, but not positive).The face of higher education is changing and, without your face in the mix, it will take that much longer to do so. I don't think many of us can comment on living as white and black in America, so you will get mixed reviews about if it makes a difference or not. If you decide not to go because you are nervous/scared/unsure, you can end up kicking yourself for the rest of your life because you never tried.

I suppose its true that there is some racism out in America, but, for the most part, I think patients would be happy for the quality care you give them. And don't listen to this bull about "black" colleges. Apply to where you want to go.

As for your concerns about private practice, there are private medical and dental practices, so I think that would be the same opportunity for discrimination, if any were to exist. And hospital is an option for both as well.

Good luck.:luck:

Guys, I appreciate the responses so far. I am very grateful for those who took the time to help. I do not think this is the thread for statistical and admission discussions. I am trying to make a lifelong decision and I am only after some help. Please start another thread for your personal discussions.

If anyone has anymore input, It will be greatly appreciated. Afterwards, I will post a broken down summation of answers also and my thoughts on those and see what you guys think.

I was with you for a minute, but there are indeed men only colleges: Hampden-Sydney College
Morehouse College
Wabash College
And a couple more...

Everyone else, ole boy is just fishing for attention, he even stated it in his 1st post, so lets not give him the satisfaction he desires regardless if we disagree (which I think the MAJORITY does...and thats a FACT...hahaha)

haha--good call man, I was actually going to edit it after I initially posted to say "...many men only colleges"--but then I was like eff it, bottom line message still stands-haha

I agree on the attention factor, but I think a part of me hopes that somehow my two cents might plant the seed to help somebody to see the big picture and not just life through their own eyes.

OP

I am brown and Muslim, I have been in the country for 6 years almost. Ive seen racism first hand, and did get disappointed.Ive seen it from Highschool to people that i served the community with. But for every person that I felt was racist, there is more than a 100 that were nice and have helped me be at a position I am in.

Im in Arizona, and you would think being a conservative state it might not be the ideal place for you, but I love this place.

eg.

I am the current President of pre-dental club at my campus. Everywhere I go people are very helpful. Our club just went into Midwestern University and we were able to sit in with second year dental students in the sim LAB. I arranged everything with the director of admissions.

Now if I thought that I will not be able to because I am brown and people will hate me, I would have never got to these types of things.

I don't think its about the color of your skin that will decide how successful you will end up being, it is your inner drive to attain your goals that you have set for yourself.

you are offending the white race by saying you will not make it out there because you are black, and white people will discriminate against you. That is like someone saying all Muslims are terrorists. There are many many that wont be racist.

If you love the profession do it. There will be some people that are racist no matter what you do in life. Working for someone or having your own business. The ability to change perception is also in your hand.

I donno if I would have been able to do anything without having faith in myself. If you have that you should be able to do anything in life, regardless of who you are and where you come from.

PM me if you need more help

OP

I am brown and Muslim, I have been in the country for 6 years almost. Ive seen racism first hand, and did get disappointed.Ive seen it from Highschool to people that i served the community with. But for every person that I felt was racist, there is more than a 100 that were nice and have helped me be at a position I am in.

Im in Arizona, and you would think being a conservative state it might not be the ideal place for you, but I love this place.

eg.

I am the current President of pre-dental club at my campus. Everywhere I go people are very helpful. Our club just went into Midwestern University and we were able to sit in with second year dental students in the sim LAB. I arranged everything with the director of admissions.

Now if I thought that I will not be able to because I am brown and people will hate me, I would have never got to these types of things.

I don't think its about the color of your skin that will decide how successful you will end up being, it is your inner drive to attain your goals that you have set for yourself.

you are offending the white race by saying you will not make it out there because you are black, and white people will discriminate against you. That is like someone saying all Muslims are terrorists. There are many many that wont be racist.

If you love the profession do it. There will be some people that are racist no matter what you do in life. Working for someone or having your own business. The ability to change perception is also in your hand.

I donno if I would have been able to do anything without having faith in myself. If you have that you should be able to do anything in life, regardless of who you are and where you come from.

PM me if you need more help

QFT... this is simply fantastic and just the truth. We have the power to change perception... DO IT!

discriminated against? Dude, you barely have to pass your classes to be accepted. Try having to maintain a REAL GPA and actually have to have a quality GPA to get in. This is the DUMBEST thread i've ever seen.:mad: Everyone is discriminated against so seriously quit having a pity party.

discriminated against? Dude, you barely have to pass your classes to be accepted. Try having to maintain a REAL GPA and actually have to have a quality GPA to get in. This is the DUMBEST thread i've ever seen.:mad: Everyone is discriminated against so seriously quit having a pity party.

^ If so, please elaborate how you have been discriminated against. Enlighten us.

to the op: good luck. dont let a fear of discrimination hold you back. i'm sure that if you approach your job with integrity and take good care of your patients, you will earn their trust and respect and good things will happen

and to answer your question, i would say that alot of non-black people might stay away from you, but you do have a large black population to draw patients from. i think that's how it works with most minorities. i shadowed a chinese dentist and i only saw one non-asian patient during my 60 hours there

Leave if you don't wanna be in out pity party. We are enjoying it. Why do people have to be so rude? DUDE Im serious! open ur eyes! Its not as obvious but when ur black for 24 years, you ll catch on.

Wow, I can't believe some of the posts in this thread.

Back to your original question: You will likely experience some degree of institutional racism in dentistry but I can't imagine it would be more drastic than in other professional fields. I wouldn't worry about finding and maintaining patients - dentists are in high demand these days. If your passion is in dentistry, don't let the personal shortcomings of others stand in your way.

To the OP (my 2 cents)

When most people choose a new dentist, they are looking at names on a sheet of paper from their insurance company. You're generally not going to be able to differentiate between who's black and who's white. If a new patient comes into your office and you do a great and professional job, I think they'll come back.

My parents recently moved and chose a new dentist. The dentist was black (we're white by the way) and my Dad said they did a great job and were very professional. (He wasn't a big fan of the huge Obama portrait on the wall but that's political, not racial) Overall he was pleased and has gone back

My wife had her wisdom teeth extracted by a black oral surgeon that we knew. My wife has since had problems with getting the feeling back in part of her tongue. Do I think the oral surgeon did anything wrong? Not really. Will we be going back if we need to? Probably not.

Long story short, I believe most people will judge you on the kind of job you do (or at least their impression of the kind of job you do) not the color of your skin.

Leave if you don't wanna be in out pity party. We are enjoying it. Why do people have to be so rude? DUDE Im serious! open ur eyes! Its not as obvious but when ur black for 24 years, you ll catch on.

Because you have it WAY easier than other people and you STILL complain about it...that's why. Oh, and I am half jewish, so don't talk to me about discrimination, buddy. Blacks aren't the only ones discriminated against. :eek:

Because you have it WAY easier than other people and you STILL complain about it...that's why. Oh, and I am half jewish, so don't talk to me about discrimination, buddy. Blacks aren't the only ones discriminated against. :eek:

That's kind of a bold statement. I'd venture to say, nobody has it WAY easy.

The idea behind affirmative action policies is to compensate for opportunities that minorities may not have had growing up. For example, if when you were younger, your parents could afford to send you to a summer program every year where you continued to learn, while a minority student's parents could not afford that program or it may not have been offered in their underprivileged community, the non minority student will be given a small edge each year. Every year, this compounds and while the minority student is playing all summer and forgetting a little of what they learned, the non minority is maintaining what they learned the previous year. Over the course of 12 years of school, the non minority has slightly better grades and is offered advanced courses, whereas the non minority continues with regular coursework and is not perceived as an advanced student.

This is just an example! I'm not saying every minority can't afford summer program and every non minority can...it's just an example of the broad justification for affirmative action policies. Of course this policy isn't perfect and will negatively affect some, but overall the idea (big picture) is to provide opportunities for a greater amount of people.

There have been studies that have shown that minorities admitted to law, health programs are just as successful as non minorities once they attain their degree. We all have to pass the same licensing exams, so schools are tasked with ensuring they only accept affirmative action students that they believe can endure the rigors of their program.

short answer to your question, most likely (you said be honest)

At first, I really thought this but, now I'm back to level ground. I guess I just have to shadow some black professionals to really see for myself.

That's kind of a bold statement. I'd venture to say, nobody has it WAY easy.

The idea behind affirmative action policies is to compensate for opportunities that minorities may not have had growing up. For example, if when you were younger, your parents could afford to send you to a summer program every year where you continued to learn, while a minority student's parents could not afford that program or it may not have been offered in their underprivileged community, the non minority student will be given a small edge each year. Every year, this compounds and while the minority student is playing all summer and forgetting a little of what they learned, the non minority is maintaining what they learned the previous year. Over the course of 12 years of school, the non minority has slightly better grades and is offered advanced courses, whereas the non minority continues with regular coursework and is not perceived as an advanced student.

This is just an example! I'm not saying every minority can't afford summer program and every non minority can...it's just an example of the broad justification for affirmative action policies. Of course this policy isn't perfect and will negatively affect some, but overall the idea (big picture) is to provide opportunities for a greater amount of people.

There have been studies that have shown that minorities admitted to law, health programs are just as successful as non minorities once they attain their degree. We all have to pass the same licensing exams, so schools are tasked with ensuring they only accept affirmative action students that they believe can endure the rigors of their program.

I'll try to keep it civil as well as preempt any comments by saying that these opinions are not made on the basis of race but rather personal opinions....

I wonder why you feel that someone (a politician) has the right, authority or even proper knowledge to make such a decision. Who is to say that the minority was impeded in his learning and even if so why do we bend over backwards to provide everyone a fair opportunity. It is ludicrous to think that advantages are now discouraged and I personally feel that it is what is putting this country in the toilet.

If someone has a financial advantage to another it is likely because at some point some father/mother ran the gauntlet of having to generate success and wealth in the hopes of providing that for their children. Instead we now say that wealth is bad and instead of only caring for your own family you now need to consider the needs and desires of someone you never met and don't know.

I wish everyone success, but only on the basis of their own merit and hard work......to give an individual preference on the basis of race rather than accomplishments is plain wrong.

OP.....racism exists on every corner of this planet and towards every race......all you can do is be your best and shrug off what you can't control

Success is being stifled and replaced with mediocrity for all....(not all to pertinent....I know)

Last edited:
For whatever reason, people feel more comfortable and can relate and connect with a professional that is the same skin color as them. Right or wrong, that's the truth.

OP, if you tried opening a practice in a strictly white neighborhood, you wouldn't be as successful as someone exactly the same as you that was white. That being said, the same goes for a white person in a traditionally black neighborhood.

Keep in mind that there aren't many "all-white" and "all-black" neighborhoods and for this reason you would probably draw more patients that, for whatever reason, feel more comfortable with you. The fact is: there are more white dentists than black dentists, so you could even have an advantage in areas that are more traditionally black.

For whatever reason, people feel more comfortable and can relate and connect with a professional that is the same skin color as them. Right or wrong, that's the truth.

OP, if you tried opening a practice in a strictly white neighborhood, you wouldn't be as successful as someone exactly the same as you that was white. That being said, the same goes for a white person in a traditionally black neighborhood.

Keep in mind that there aren't many "all-white" and "all-black" neighborhoods and for this reason you would probably draw more patients that, for whatever reason, feel more comfortable with you. The fact is: there are more white dentists than black dentists, so you could even have an advantage in areas that are more traditionally black.

On the other hand, if you're a good dentist and make people feel comfortable and special as any dentist should, you may be able to build your practice better on the premise that you are "that Black dentist down the street." Standing out can have its upsides.

I am Caucasian and frequently attend the Mexican "cowboy-style" dances in town. I may be one of the only Caucasians, but most people know me by now and recognize me off the dance floor. They know I can speak Spanish and hack it on the floor, so just by standing out I always have a dance partner!

Same thing happened when I lived in the Middle East- I was "that American girl who will teach you English" and many people knew about me because I stood out. You CAN work it to your advantage!

Interesting read. White Privilege by Peggy McIntosh.
It feels like we take a lot of things for granted. There is no way I can ever say anything about what a black person would feel like and that whatever is happening is okay.... to just "deal with it." It is harder. But I have also seen situations when black people have played the race card when it was absolutely unnecessary.
In order to make change happen, it is not just upto the black person to rise up --- it is for the white person to realize and help out in the efforts. This same argument is used for women's right to vote as well as gay rights. The above groups can only do so much --- it is only when their counterparts (men and heterosexuals respectively) show their support, will the cause have full momentum.

OP, sorry for going a tad off topic. Like some of the above posters, I would take it as an advantage. I am brown -- when my parents are looking through the list of doctors, they are more assured going to a brown one (and sometimes they end up being crazy, so yeah... you reaaaally cant tell a good doctor by his/her race/ethnicity :) ).
You are taking a big step, kudos to you --- if you really see yourself as being a good dentist, dont let anybody stop you :D

Attachments

• fax09_03_2003_10_54_35_am.pdf
    132.3 KB · Views: 90
What are your thoughts about my success as a Black dentist in America? Will I be discriminated against since most jobs are in private practices and not as large of an atmosphere as a hospital? WIll patients not want to come to you? Please be honest in your post. This is a very serious decision and I need help.

Thanks

stop attributing your successes and failures to the color of your skin.

Last edited:
Hrm... my dentist is black. I never even dawnedon me that I was supposed to want to see someone that was the same race as me. And here I was sending so many of my friends (white, asian, and more!) to him because he's the best dentist I ever had. :confused:

If this really is a concern for you I'd suggest moving to another state where it won't be such a big deal. Yes, yes, I'm sure racism exists everywhere but I can't imagine it to the extent where it will seriously effect your bottom line. I know my dentist isn't hurting because of his race.... 2+ months to get an appointment with him unless it's an emergency!

Then again, I'm in Canada where "multiculturalism" is a good word and "melting pot" is a bad word. So maybe you should move up to Canada and become an honourary Canuck, eh?

Move to Canada!? NEVER!!! lol (kidding, I love Canada. My bro lives there.)

Hrm... my dentist is black. I never even dawnedon me that I was supposed to want to see someone that was the same race as me. And here I was sending so many of my friends (white, asian, and more!) to him because he's the best dentist I ever had. :confused:

If this really is a concern for you I'd suggest moving to another state where it won't be such a big deal. Yes, yes, I'm sure racism exists everywhere but I can't imagine it to the extent where it will seriously effect your bottom line. I know my dentist isn't hurting because of his race.... 2+ months to get an appointment with him unless it's an emergency!

Exactly what I was saying! :thumbup:

How can we move past this crap when it's constantly being brought up?

Just want to add my 2 cents. I feel like the OP's concern is a legit one, but I would say to not worry. All big cities will have the need for a dentist, no matter your color.

And I have thought about this myself, since I am a minority (i'm Asian). And hey, look at it this way, you have an advantage in getting to schools since you are an under-represented minority. Whereas, Asians are a minority in every other sense, but not when it comes to higher education! It's like we are punished for striving to succeed...:mad:

so I guess if you live in Wisconsin and Minnesota and upper East States you are ok...