JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I hear they'll be "aggressive" this year on black friday. Anyone really think they'll lower prices at all?

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status (Visible)
Doubt it. The email I got says "Lots of gits...one day not to miss." I'd be surprised to see retail prices drop much, if at all. I'm expecting free iPods and such, like for the yearly back to school shenanigans.

Hope I'm wrong, in case anybody is shopping for a new big-ticket item on Friday.

About the Ads

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It's probably only iMacs and Macbooks. It is exactly the same as the ed discount so doesn't help any of us. $50 on the low end models and $100 on the high end.

I just checked. Sadly, nothing to be excited about.

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yeah they didn't give that great of discounts. Though the low end aluminum MB was discounted $101 which is pretty good. Better than the ed discount.

This is true. I've also been told to wait at least a year before buying apple products, since they always improve their laptops slightly. Any thoughts?

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status (Visible)
It's very hard to perfectly time the purchase of an Apple product--especially a laptop. In a year, your new one will be a little cheaper and a little faster, probably. However, in two years, it could be outright redesigned. In that case, you'd probably be even more irritated. :rolleyes:

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This is true. I've also been told to wait at least a year before buying apple products, since they always improve their laptops slightly. Any thoughts?

There's never any guarantees. I'm assuming you are talking about Revolution A Macs and all the first bugs they have? Right now, these machines have minor glitches in the design that people seem to be saying have been worked out in the factories. Other than the weird RAM issue that is only an issue with certain brands of third-party RAM I don't see any major problems. I have to say this machine is great and very solid. Either way even between a Rev B and C there are always minor improvements and speed bumps. Other than major processor or design changes that is the major update the Macs get.

As the MBs were updated 2 months ago right now is still a good time to buy. They update about every 6 months. Sometimes longer sometimes shorter.

If it were February right now I'd reiterate the Macrumors mantra that if you need it buy it now but if you can wait then wait, but it isn't. It is still a good time to buy.

To see what I mean: MR Buying Guide.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.