SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

black med schools

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by zeik, Aug 22, 2001.

1. zeik

zeik Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2001
    LA.
    does anyone know if it is easy for non-blacks
    to enter black schools,such as,Meharry or
    morehouse....

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dude7

dude7 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

May 23, 2001
    michigan
    I have been asked that also, and from the research, I believe it is just about the same. However, what makes it difficult is that 70 percent /80 percent is reserved for african american and other minorities. With the remaining 20 percent, a lot of white applications must come, and i think they have to chose a limited number out of that. But go ahead and apply. After all, a med school is a med school, that too, on US soil.

4. RockOn

RockOn Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 4, 2001
    metro Detroit
    For sure apply to a school if you think that they are going the direction that you want to go. If you apply to a majority black school, though, make sure you are cool with a lot of different types of people and don't have an attitude. There are a lot more than just black people here: black, Asian, Indian, Latin American, European (from Europe) and white.

I am a majority but minority at Meharry and I LOVE IT HERE. The people are awesome. The instructors are good. The classes are well presented. I know that I am biased and, no, I've never been in another med school to take classes so it's a narrow view but it works for me. Meharry is a good place for a good education. The only thing that sucks is the tuition: Just under $42,000 for student budget this yr. There aren't many scholarships either. You'll have to bring your own money or BORROW, BORROW, BORROW like me.

Good luck wherever you apply!