Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

black med schools

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by zeik, Aug 22, 2001.

  1. zeik

    zeik Junior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2001
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    does anyone know if it is easy for non-blacks
    to enter black schools,such as,Meharry or
    morehouse....
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. dude7

    dude7 Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2001
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have been asked that also, and from the research, I believe it is just about the same. However, what makes it difficult is that 70 percent /80 percent is reserved for african american and other minorities. With the remaining 20 percent, a lot of white applications must come, and i think they have to chose a limited number out of that. But go ahead and apply. After all, a med school is a med school, that too, on US soil.
     
  4. RockOn

    RockOn Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2001
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    For sure apply to a school if you think that they are going the direction that you want to go. If you apply to a majority black school, though, make sure you are cool with a lot of different types of people and don't have an attitude. There are a lot more than just black people here: black, Asian, Indian, Latin American, European (from Europe) and white.

    I am a majority but minority at Meharry and I LOVE IT HERE. The people are awesome. The instructors are good. The classes are well presented. I know that I am biased and, no, I've never been in another med school to take classes so it's a narrow view but it works for me. Meharry is a good place for a good education. The only thing that sucks is the tuition: Just under $42,000 for student budget this yr. There aren't many scholarships either. You'll have to bring your own money or BORROW, BORROW, BORROW like me.

    Good luck wherever you apply!
     

Share This Page