Feb 13, 2010
Status
What kind of suit do most ppl wear to the residency interview? Black, grey or navy? When I read here on the forum it seems like black is the best choice. It kind of surprised me. Maybe a cultural difference between Europe and America but where I come from you should NEVER wear a black suit to work (only grey and navy and only ppl 50+ wear navy). Black suits are for parties, and occasions such as wedding and funerals.

If you watch "Mad men" the guys wear grey suits to work just like in Europe so I get kind of confused.

What brand should I go for? Gotta buy a Brooks Brothers suit or will I do with something cheaper? Any suggestions?

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
What kind of suit do most ppl wear to the residency interview? Black, grey or navy? When I read here on the forum it seems like black is the best choice. It kind of surprised me. Maybe a cultural difference between Europe and America but where I come from you should NEVER wear a black suit to work (only grey and navy and only ppl 50+ wear navy). Black suits are for parties, and occasions such as wedding and funerals.

If you watch "Mad men" the guys wear grey suits to work just like in Europe so I get kind of confused.

What brand should I go for? Gotta buy a Brooks Brothers suit or will I do with something cheaper? Any suggestions?
I wore grey, and I liked that I wasn't just another black suit guy.

Smurfette

Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
black, navy and gray would all be appropriate colors. Most do wear black, so the navy and gray stand out a bit more (not in a bad way). Generally the idea is to appear conservatively dressed, all three meet this criteria. I've also seen a dark green or dark purple (on women) look quite tasteful and conservative.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]

No you're not wrong. Even in the US business world: grey and navy are appropriate and black is a bit of a faux pas to wear in the day time. But most of the people applying to residency are people who were premeds, then med students and never worked in the business world so no one ever told them not to wear black suits.

At my interviews I'd say about 50% wear black and the other 50% wear navy or grey.

When you say "black", do you actually mean black or charcoal? A black suit is only appropriate at a funeral (or if you're a member of the Blues Brothers). A charcoal suit would be good, if you prefer a grey (preferably a bit darker) or navy suit that would also be fine, no-go would be any of the summer colors like tan or sand.

OP
E
Feb 13, 2010
Status
Thanks for the advice. I think I´ll wear a grey/charcoal suit then since it would make me feel more comfortable than black anyway.

I need to buy a new suit for the interviews. Any suggestions on where to buy it? (preferably in NYC) I am kind of tall and lanky so sometimes a problem finding clothes.

Pharmacol90

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2007
Status
Non-Student
Check out Macy's. They generally have great sales day after Thanksgiving, on Black Friday.

Dr Magpie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2009
Status
This is just my 2 cents, but I think that women can easily get away with a suit in a variety of colors (perhaps not traffic cone orange or hot pink). I had three suits- cornflower blue, medium sand/brown, and black with purple pinstripes. Especially when interviewing in warmer climes I thought they were fine and perhaps broke up the monotony of black suit after black suit.

francisco84

MD2B
10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Navy, dark navy or mid-night navy blue. Ask your friends in the real world who need to wear suits on a regular basis, i.e. lawyer friends. Anything not navy is a bit too casual (relatively speaking of course) and I don't know why people own black suits other than tuxedos for any reason than maybe funerals

Dawn1980

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
The Rockies
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
No you're not wrong. Even in the US business world: grey and navy are appropriate and black is a bit of a faux pas to wear in the day time. But most of the people applying to residency are people who were premeds, then med students and never worked in the business world so no one ever told them not to wear black suits.

At my interviews I'd say about 50% wear black and the other 50% wear navy or grey.
I strongly disagree with the first paragraph. I don't think it's a faux pas to wear a black suit in the daytime. I have several friends in the "business world" (and that's all they've ever known) and they wear black suits to work all the time. It's not a big deal.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I strongly disagree with the first paragraph. I don't think it's a faux pas to wear a black suit in the daytime. I have several friends in the "business world" (and that's all they've ever known) and they wear black suits to work all the time. It's not a big deal.
Its just what I've been told by several of my MBA friends (both the MD/MBAs and others). As others have said, black is for funerals.

But maybe in some other areas of the country its different.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I spoke to a PD who said, its just better to be safe than sorry and to wear black.

SFO-IST

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
@European: Please, please, please do the correct european thing and buy yourself an "italian cut" dark navy suit. It is the only color that conveys the appropriate mix of elegance, professionalism, and style. Skinny ties are coming in to vogue, too.

ScienceMind

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2003
West Hollywood, CA
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
There is not a regional difference. For men, you can wear any of those colors for interviews. I would suggest getting one that you would want to wear again. I bought my suit from Men's Wearhouse and it is in style still three years later. They are having a sale now through 11/29, buy one get one free. I am not sure how much Macy's will charge for tailoring, but you will definitely have to have this done. FYI, I personally think pin stripes look great and when I went for CAP fellowship interviews, I always received compliments. Good luck.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2004
Status
As someone whose interviewed and forgotten about lots of candidates:

It makes absolutely no ****ing difference. :sleep::thumbup: