Black tennis shoes w/ dress clothes in hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashMe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it would be okay to wear all black tennis shoes with dress clothes in the hospital? I was thinking something like this (you have to click the black one after following the link):

http://www.zappos.com/nike-air-max-...etallic-silver?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_sub

I'm hoping I could wear these shoes for maximum comfort and maybe nobody would notice or have a problem with it...

Here's what my school dress code says:

"
Appropriate attire for male students on the clinical services includes man-tailored shirt and tie, trousers or slacks and closed toe shoes. Appropriate attire for female students includes a dress, a blouse, tailored shirt or sweater, slacks or skirt, and closed-toe shoes. Both men and women should wear a short white jacket with the appropriate hospital identification card clearly visible."

Members don't see this ad.

God, just buy ****ing croc's. Why are you trin to impress?

A good pair of nikes/j's with a dr. Scholl's insert>>> crocs or danskos in terms of comfort personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't consider myself "stylish" by any stretch of the imagination, but I really don't think it's OK to wear tennis shoes, regardless of color, with a tie and dress pants. If I knew someone who wore that consistently, I'd change my routine of always giving 10/10 on those end-of-semester evaluations to give a dreaded 9.

If you are looking for comfort in a dress shoe, skip the wal-mart shoe aisle. I finally broke down and went to a Joseph A. Bank. While I was there the guy says "I've got this shoe that is more comfortable than the tennis shoes you're wearing right now." I'm thinking this guy is full of it, but it was legit. It is a dress shoe with a memory foam bottom covered with sheepskin. 20% off regular price of $130. Waterproof too, so I assume that means bloodproof.

EXACTLY! That's my point; I'm not trying to impress anyone, which is why I'm not interested in wearing snazzy dress shoes. I have black crocs but they aren't convenient for doing a lot of walking. Hence my question about black tennis shoes...

I don't consider myself "stylish" by any stretch of the imagination, but I really don't think it's OK to wear tennis shoes, regardless of color, with a tie and dress pants. If I knew someone who wore that consistently, I'd change my routine of always giving 10/10 on those end-of-semester evaluations to give a dreaded 9.

If you are looking for comfort in a dress shoe, skip the wal-mart shoe aisle. I finally broke down and went to a Joseph A. Bank. While I was there the guy says "I've got this shoe that is more comfortable than the tennis shoes you're wearing right now." I'm thinking this guy is full of it, but it was legit. It is a dress shoe with a memory foam bottom covered with sheepskin. 20% off regular price of $130. Waterproof too, so I assume that means bloodproof.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm definitely going to check them out.

Ok so maybe I go to gossip girl medical school, but it seems like people here wear Danskos with scrubs, on their bad days. Chicks wear heels, guys talk about their shoes and watches. Personally I think being comfortable with black sneaks is fine, if you're better at what you're doing. I wish I were a guy...wearing black girl sketchers is too sketchy for me...

Ok so maybe I go to gossip girl medical school, but it seems like people here wear Danskos with scrubs, on their bad days. Chicks wear heels, guys talk about their shoes and watches. Personally I think being comfortable with black sneaks is fine, if you're better at what you're doing. I wish I were a guy...wearing black girl sketchers is too sketchy for me...

huh? lol

A good pair of nikes/j's with a dr. Scholl's insert>>> crocs or danskos in terms of comfort personally.

Disagree. Danskos/Sanitas are more comfortable and actually kinda look professional under dress pants if averse to wearing actual dress shoes. Plus, you can wipe them off and they're impenetrable to fluids.

yeah man, u can wear it but some of ur seniors might get butt hurt but if its comfortable, wear it.

If you're a med student, you're trying to impress anybody and everybody. Duh.

Or keep rebelling bro, world doesn't care about first impressions

Might as well wear sweats and a hoodie while you're at it.

You are in a professional setting now. You are expected to dress professionally. I personally, cannot take anyone seriously who wears a shirt and tie with Nikes on. You'll look like a clown.

And trust me, you are not obscuring the fact that you are wearing tennis shoes by wearing black ones. It will be quite obvious.

There are plenty of comfortable dress shoes out there and if anything, buy some inserts.

Disagree. Danskos/Sanitas are more comfortable and actually kinda look professional under dress pants if averse to wearing actual dress shoes. Plus, you can wipe them off and they're impenetrable to fluids.

I tried those shoes and never felt comfortable in them. I guess it's how my foot is shaped.

I never wore tennis shoes with dress clothes because I think it looks tacky and I don't even think we were allowed to. I just found really comfortable dress shoes and used gel inserts. Danskos are overrated IMO. Not as comfortable as the hype, overpriced, and definitely don't look that good with dress clothes

Unless you're a sneakerhead I doubt you've worn an expensive pair of J's. I retired an old pair b/c they were dirty and I wear them whenever I wore scrubs. Feel great

Members don't see this ad :)

I dont think they make danskos in men.

You'll look like a huge dork, but in reality that isn't too far off from how a number of residents and attendings dress, so you won't exactly be in strange company.

Every neurologist does it.

Black tennis shoes with dress clothes are completely OK. They are comfortable and look fine with dress clothes.

Last edited:
I agree with the Danskos. My feet are kinda of wide and a little flat but I've found the Danskos to be comfortable. Your feet will hurt regardless at the end of a 12 hour day, but you might as well make them feel as good as possible. If you don't want to buy Danskos you need to invest in a good, comfortable pair of dress shoes. Dress shoes, when the correct ones are bought, are made to last. Don't wear sneakers, you'll look like a clown.

Depends on the service and the location of your medical school. Some places are more formal than others and some services are as well. From reading this thread you should gather that there will be people who will have a negative impression if you show up in black tennis shoes and other people probably won't even notice.

Realistically you should have some comfortable dress shoes because as a medical student there are times you will want to make a good first impression and why take a chance that someone will notice you show up in sneakers and think you don't care.

There are dress shoes that are pretty comfortable but obviously it depends on your foot as any shoe that doesn't fit right won't be comfortable. I like Cole Haan (they are owned by Nike and have nike air in a lot of the shoes so I guess you are still wearing Nikes), ecco, and Mephisto but my feet might be different than your feet. IMO for getting comfortable shoes go the store and try them on. Tell the salesperson what you want - something comfortable and professional.

Last edited:
if they ask about the tennis shoes just tell them that you got dm1 since you were like 6 months old and your parents neglected you/left your sugars out of control and now you need soft tennis shoes because of neuropathy. and that is what inspired you to become a doctor to save those poor kids from the evil hands of diabetus.

I have a black/brown pair of Sperry penny loafers, they are even more confortable than mephistos, which were built for comfort, they were $60 from zappos.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store...ue&subCatId=cat100070DM&subCatTabId=&viewall=

They are $90 on the site, but you can find them for $60.

This is 100% not true. I've owned a lot of Sperrys and just recently switched Mephistos... and there's no comparison.

Granted, there's no comparison in price, either... $300 vs $60, but the mephistos were a thousand times more comfortable. I couldn't wear my sperrys through a full ER shift without awful back pain and foot pain, whereas I can wear my mephistos 14-16 hours straight.

Sadly, I still think boat shoes look kinda tacky with nice clothes, so I don't wear them in the hospital very often.

EDIT: And since this post was a swing-and-a-miss for being on target... to the OP: I wouldn't wear black tennis shoes. I think it would definitely be noticed. That said, I go to school in the deep south, and things are certainly more conservative here with regard to dress. Definitely seen some danskos around the hospital though.

Those aren't boat shoes, they're Sperry penny loafers. I find them far more confortable than the mephistos, I've been wearing them throughout all my clinical rotations and they've been just great. The mephistos were not as comfortable because they were a bit constricting in the toe box. I can hardly feel those sperries on my feet. Right now I'm on IR and typically have been working 6-8 with a 2 mile walk to and from work and they've been just great.

This is 100% not true. I've owned a lot of Sperrys and just recently switched Mephistos... and there's no comparison.

Granted, there's no comparison in price, either... $300 vs $60, but the mephistos were a thousand times more comfortable. I couldn't wear my sperrys through a full ER shift without awful back pain and foot pain, whereas I can wear my mephistos 14-16 hours straight.

Sadly, I still think boat shoes look kinda tacky with nice clothes, so I don't wear them in the hospital very often.

EDIT: And since this post was a swing-and-a-miss for being on target... to the OP: I wouldn't wear black tennis shoes. I think it would definitely be noticed. That said, I go to school in the deep south, and things are certainly more conservative here with regard to dress. Definitely seen some danskos around the hospital though.

Those aren't boat shoes, they're Sperry penny loafers. I find them far more confortable than the mephistos, I've been wearing them throughout all my clinical rotations and they've been just great. The mephistos were not as comfortable because they were a bit constricting in the toe box. I can hardly feel those sperries on my feet. Right now I'm on IR and typically have been working 6-8 with a 2 mile walk to and from work and they've been just great.

Oops... reading comprehension isn't my strong suit, apparently. Haven't tried the loafers in either brand. I'll have to check 'em out.

Aren't these usually the ones referred to as boat shoes,
apc-summer-2009-boat-shoes-2.jpg

Specifically that lace styling going around the shoe.

Not ok to wear tennis/sport shoes with professional attire. Trust me people notice.

By the end of 3rd year you won't give a crap and will be cutting corners everywhere. Buy comfortable shoes, no one will care. You'll find most people are going to give you the grade they are going to give you unless you screw up royally.

but seriously, if you want comfortable dress shoes, look into Ecco shoes

since I'm the OP, I figure I'm entitled to one necrobump. I ended up getting through MS3 and MS4 by wearing black Dansko's with dress clothes most of the time, and black crocs in the OR.

The Dansko's are a bit too narrow/tight for me when I first put them on every AM, but they stretch slightly throughout the day. There is a nylon band in the top of the shoe that traverses the metatarsals, and it will never stretch. I definitely should have gotten the "wide" size rather than the regular, but they're fine and there was obviously no going back after I wore them for a few days.

The crocs are super comfortable, but they make my feet feel like boats and I fell down the stairs in the hospital more than once by trying to run too fast in them (to lunch, not to help a patient).

I matched for residency in the midwest, and I'm reevaluating my shoe situation. I have to do a clinical base year (CBY), and I'm now thinking about the black tennis shoe option again. I don't think anyone would give the burnt out intern too much trouble about wearing a nice looking pair of tennis shoes, and evaluations work very differently from what I hear.

Once I get through the CBY, I'll be spending most of my time in the OR. I think I'll transition from crocs to Calzuros (lighter, less bulky, presumably equally comfortable, and available in some interesting colors).

Any input is welcome :)

I'm also debating the low-key black tennis shoes for intern year. Luckily most of the time the interns are in scrubs at the institution where I matched, but I don't think I'd have a problem wearing them on clinic days either.