Blackberry/Palm pilots for 3rd year rotations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docluver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting 3rd year soon and I was wondering if palm pilots are still the thing to get, or should I be looking for Blackberry's or something else for rotations. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be starting 3rd year soon and I was wondering if palm pilots are still the thing to get, or should I be looking for Blackberry's or something else for rotations. Any advice would be appreciated.

Check out the technology forum. There's a few links about pdas. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109

I don't believe there's a lot of med software (ie. epocrates) out there for blackberry at this point. You're probably going to want to look at Palm or Windows Mobile devices to have the largest selection of med software to choose from.

Lots of opinions out there, but in a nut shell, Palm is a stable, solid OS, but hasn't been updated in quite some time. Windows Mobile maybe a bit more buggy, but is frequently updated, more eye candy etc. The other thing to think about is whether you want a smartphone or pda only.

Check out the technology forum. There's a few links about pdas. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109

I don't believe there's a lot of med software (ie. epocrates) out there for blackberry at this point. You're probably going to want to look at Palm or Windows Mobile devices to have the largest selection of med software to choose from.

Lots of opinions out there, but in a nut shell, Palm is a stable, solid OS, but hasn't been updated in quite some time. Windows Mobile maybe a bit more buggy, but is frequently updated, more eye candy etc. The other thing to think about is whether you want a smartphone or pda only.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, the strength of the PDA is what medical textbooks you can get on it. Epocrates and other pharmacopias are the most critical. After that you want some sort of medical encyclopedia. And a calculator. And web access for email is nice. So that's what you need. Bear in mind you only will use these for the medicine oriented clerkships. In surgery, where you are in scrubs most of the time it is just one more thing to get stolen.

In surgery, where you are in scrubs most of the time it is just one more thing to get stolen.

I keep my Blackberry on a holster which I clip to the waistband of my scrubs. No way I'm leaving that thing lying around!

I keep my Blackberry on a holster which I clip to the waistband of my scrubs. No way I'm leaving that thing lying around!

Tried that -- pants started creeping down. Drawstrings are not really a good idea for supporting any kind of attached weight. Probably depends on your build and how close you are to the actual scrubs sizing.

Tried that -- pants started creeping down. Drawstrings are not really a good idea for supporting any kind of attached weight. Probably depends on your build and how close you are to the actual scrubs sizing.

Well yes, I have to continuously pull up my pants or retighten my scrubs' drawstring. When you add the phone to the pager and trauma phone, it's quite a load!

Then again, where else would I put the phone? I tried in the shirt pocket once and it fell out a couple times. :(

I would keep my pdaphone in the breat pocket of my scrubs (put it on the inside one if you bend over a lot so it doesn't fall out).

One downside is old codgers accuse you of "playing games" on rounds if you're looking up drug info :rolleyes:

Well yes, I have to continuously pull up my pants or retighten my scrubs' drawstring. When you add the phone to the pager and trauma phone, it's quite a load!

Then again, where else would I put the phone? I tried in the shirt pocket once and it fell out a couple times. :(

Ummm...it's called a fanny pack??

;) :p

Last edited:
They don't allow you to wear those into the OR. Outside of the OR it's not an issue as you have the coat pockets to use.

I know that. It was...you know...a joke. Because I also know that Blade28 would never be caught dead toting a fanny pack around.

<Sigh> Never mind. :oops:

they Don't Allow You To Wear Those Into The Or. Outside Of The Or It's Not An Issue As You Have The Coat Pockets To Use.

Sir!! Sir!! The Sarcasm Meter Is Broken And The Whole Joke Is Going Down!!! What Do We Do???

Check out the Palm Centro. It's much smaller & lighter than the Treo. No holster required. Lower risk of "de-pantsing," too. ;):thumbup: