Blackberry/Palm pilots for 3rd year rotations??

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by docluver, Jun 12, 2008.

1. docluver

docluver New Member

Medical Student
    I will be starting 3rd year soon and I was wondering if palm pilots are still the thing to get, or should I be looking for Blackberry's or something else for rotations. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Check out the technology forum. There's a few links about pdas. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109

I don't believe there's a lot of med software (ie. epocrates) out there for blackberry at this point. You're probably going to want to look at Palm or Windows Mobile devices to have the largest selection of med software to choose from.

Lots of opinions out there, but in a nut shell, Palm is a stable, solid OS, but hasn't been updated in quite some time. Windows Mobile maybe a bit more buggy, but is frequently updated, more eye candy etc. The other thing to think about is whether you want a smartphone or pda only.

4. docluver

docluver New Member

Medical Student
    thanks

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Yeah, the strength of the PDA is what medical textbooks you can get on it. Epocrates and other pharmacopias are the most critical. After that you want some sort of medical encyclopedia. And a calculator. And web access for email is nice. So that's what you need. Bear in mind you only will use these for the medicine oriented clerkships. In surgery, where you are in scrubs most of the time it is just one more thing to get stolen.

6. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician

Attending Physician
  7. I keep my Blackberry on a holster which I clip to the waistband of my scrubs. No way I'm leaving that thing lying around!

8. BlazerMed

BlazerMed King Arthur

Resident [Any Field]
  9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    Tried that -- pants started creeping down. Drawstrings are not really a good idea for supporting any kind of attached weight. Probably depends on your build and how close you are to the actual scrubs sizing.

10. Well yes, I have to continuously pull up my pants or retighten my scrubs' drawstring. When you add the phone to the pager and trauma phone, it's quite a load!

Then again, where else would I put the phone? I tried in the shirt pocket once and it fell out a couple times. :(

11. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Banned
    Banned

I would keep my pdaphone in the breat pocket of my scrubs (put it on the inside one if you bend over a lot so it doesn't fall out).

One downside is old codgers accuse you of "playing games" on rounds if you're looking up drug info :rolleyes:

12. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Ummm...it's called a fanny pack??

;) :p

#11 smq123, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  13. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    They don't allow you to wear those into the OR. Outside of the OR it's not an issue as you have the coat pockets to use.

14. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    I know that. It was...you know...a joke. Because I also know that Blade28 would never be caught dead toting a fanny pack around.

<Sigh> Never mind. :oops:

15. You missed her tongue-in-cheek. :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. OrnotMajestic

OrnotMajestic Ugly on the inside, too

Resident [Any Field]
    Sir!! Sir!! The Sarcasm Meter Is Broken And The Whole Joke Is Going Down!!! What Do We Do???

18. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician

Check out the Palm Centro. It's much smaller & lighter than the Treo. No holster required. Lower risk of "de-pantsing," too. ;):thumbup: