Sep 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey all,

I'm an avid Blackberry user and my contract is up in June (yeah, lucky eh?). I was wondering if an Iphone and its various medical apps offer distinct and indispensable advantages over a blackberry while being a resident? Should I switch phones? I've hardly seen any blackberries on residents, most have Iphones/Palms for easy browsing while on floors. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks:)

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
What's the AT&T coverage where you'll be doing residency? I like the phone but the amount of dropped calls and dead zones here sux and bear in mind that there is no insurance available for the IPhone (and the unlimited plans are more expensive than with the BB). I should've gone with Verizon.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hey all,

I'm an avid Blackberry user and my contract is up in June (yeah, lucky eh?). I was wondering if an Iphone and its various medical apps offer distinct and indispensable advantages over a blackberry while being a resident? Should I switch phones? I've hardly seen any blackberries on residents, most have Iphones/Palms for easy browsing while on floors. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks:)
Assuming you have a provider other than ATT, get a Droid. They have all the Skyscape stuff available for it and Epocrates just got released a couple of weeks ago. If you already have ATT (and you can get decent reception in your hospital) the iPhone is a good choice.

Sep 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
What's the AT&T coverage where you'll be doing residency? I like the phone but the amount of dropped calls and dead zones here sux and bear in mind that there is no insurance available for the IPhone (and the unlimited plans are more expensive than with the BB). I should've gone with Verizon.
Moving to Tech Forum (where this topic has been discussed frequently...so the OP may wish to do a search there).
Yeah thats a good point. The place where I matched seems to have a strong verizon coverage and an okay but not great AT and T coverage. I should dig further to find out if there are any network issues.

I had no idea this forum existed! Thanks for redirecting me here. Looks like I'll find all my answers here, we have app developers arguing about different phones, wow!

Assuming you have a provider other than ATT, get a Droid. They have all the Skyscape stuff available for it and Epocrates just got released a couple of weeks ago. If you already have ATT (and you can get decent reception in your hospital) the iPhone is a good choice.
Thanks gutonc, heard good things about the droid...people still seem to miss the iphone medical apps and suggest carrying an Ipod touch to go along but all in all it seems to be great.

spo01

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
I would atleast wait till a 2nd generation of Droid before getting one. I can't wait till I'm able to upgrade on my Verizon plan because I have a 2g blackberry tour and I hate it (SO SLOW). If I can't break out of Verizon (I'm on the family plan) I am looking into the Nexus One and the Droid as well. If I leave I am looking into the next Iphone and Sprint 4g EVO. I've always wanted an Iphone but I heard the latter will be even better.

polarbebe

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student
As far as medical apps only Palm and Windows Mobile have more apps. iPhone has Tarascons, Lexicomp, Skyscape, Pepid, Monthly Prescribers Reference, Medacape, Diagnosaurus, Netter's, Epocrates, Taber's, etc. Also many medical video and audio podcasts available for free. I also have apps to store .CHM, .PDB and .PDF files natively which allows me to store more than 20 medical texts on my phone.

JacobSilge

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As far as medical apps only Palm and Windows Mobile have more apps. iPhone has Tarascons, Lexicomp, Skyscape, Pepid, Monthly Prescribers Reference, Medacape, Diagnosaurus, Netter's, Epocrates, Taber's, etc. Also many medical video and audio podcasts available for free. I also have apps to store .CHM, .PDB and .PDF files natively which allows me to store more than 20 medical texts on my phone.
Though the iPhone has more, keep in mind how many you would realistically be using. Give me Epocrates and a good medical calculator and I'll be happy as a clam.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Regardless of app availability, the Blackberry is not meant to run tons of apps. It is slow and glitchy when you load too much stuff on there.

If you're looking to buy and install apps, I suggest you choose a different smartphone.

ResidentMD

7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2009
Status
Which are the apps to store .CHM, .PDB and .PDF on the iphone? I really, really need these and cant seem to find one anywhere.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Which are the apps to store .CHM, .PDB and .PDF on the iphone? I really, really need these and cant seem to find one anywhere.
Look for iChm

but also there should be options for the others, just got to look in the search field