Blah, low sci GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NexusMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a low sci gpa of 3.11.
If this semester goes according to plan (which it is so far) I'll have an A in Ochem 1, and a B in physics 1. Which will bring my sci gpa up to a 3.2

I have 3 C's on my transcript, Calc 1 (retook to earn an A-), calc 2, and Bio 3 orgnanismal biology.

I also got AP credit for my General bio 1 and 2 classes, so I dont get any grades for that.
Earned a B in chem 1, 3 credits, (w/o lab coz it oculdnt fit in my schedule, had to retake whole class and then earned an A in chem 1 with lab for 4 credits), got a B+ in microbio, and earned an A in engineering calculus.

With my 3 C's it really hurts my sci GPA. I was wondering what I would need in order to be competative in the eastern schools around the DC, MD,va, and PA area? My ideal school would be UMaryland Med. If I get a B in all my physics courses, and an A in ochem 1, 2, gen chem 2, and pathogenic micro, then my sci gpa would be a 3.37.

Since i am not a science major, these are the extent of the classes I am going to take. My Cum.GPA is a 3.42, and should be a 3.49 after this semester.
Anyone have any suggestions? I still have 4 more semesters to go.

Members don't see this ad.

are you a MD resident? I have a 3.5 BCPM and a 33 MCAT and havent heard a peep from them - i dont know if its cuz i'm not from maryland or if they really are that selective. food for thought.

if you want to bring the BCPM up I'd suggest....more science. unfortunately. and make sure you know that stuff cold for the mcat.

are you a MD resident? I have a 3.5 BCPM and a 33 MCAT and havent heard a peep from them - i dont know if its cuz i'm not from maryland or if they really are that selective. food for thought.

if you want to bring the BCPM up I'd suggest....more science. unfortunately. and make sure you know that stuff cold for the mcat.

I am an MD resident, my BCPM would be 3.37, which isnt close to a 3.5, and I havent even looked at the MCAT to even begin predicting my scores. I am going to pray (like none other) for 33+.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently have a low sci gpa of 3.11.
If this semester goes according to plan (which it is so far) I'll have an A in Ochem 1, and a B in physics 1. Which will bring my sci gpa up to a 3.2

I have 3 C's on my transcript, Calc 1 (retook to earn an A-), calc 2, and Bio 3 orgnanismal biology.

I also got AP credit for my General bio 1 and 2 classes, so I dont get any grades for that.
Earned a B in chem 1, 3 credits, (w/o lab coz it oculdnt fit in my schedule, had to retake whole class and then earned an A in chem 1 with lab for 4 credits), got a B+ in microbio, and earned an A in engineering calculus.

With my 3 C's it really hurts my sci GPA. I was wondering what I would need in order to be competative in the eastern schools around the DC, MD,va, and PA area? My ideal school would be UMaryland Med. If I get a B in all my physics courses, and an A in ochem 1, 2, gen chem 2, and pathogenic micro, then my sci gpa would be a 3.37.

Since i am not a science major, these are the extent of the classes I am going to take. My Cum.GPA is a 3.42, and should be a 3.49 after this semester.
Anyone have any suggestions? I still have 4 more semesters to go.

I'd say take Bio I and II even though you got AP credit for it.... and learn how to spell competitive, you'll use it a lot on these boards in the next couple years :thumbup: (trust me)

I'd say take Bio I and II even though you got AP credit for it.... and learn how to spell competitive, you'll use it a lot on these boards in the next couple years :thumbup: (trust me)
lol, perhaps I will use competitive. But why take bio1-2 again? It just doesnt seem worth it to retake lower level courses when if I had that kinda time I could take upper division bio classes. Right?

lol, perhaps I will use competitive. But why take bio1-2 again? It just doesnt seem worth it to retake lower level courses when if I had that kinda time I could take upper division bio classes. Right?

if you can guarantee easy A's in the upper division bio classes, sure...

Search Mdapplicants.com Md state residents have gotten in to University of Maryland Medical School with sci-gpa around 3.2-3.3 and an overall as low as 3.2. However you should want your GPA to be as high as possible.

if you can guarantee easy A's in the upper division bio classes, sure...

The lower level bio labs are 10x harder then the upper level ones. And the upper level ones are much more interesting.

my sci gpa is only marginally higher than yours but i managed to be accepted to 2 of 15 schools with a 33 mcat.

I am an MD resident, my BCPM would be 3.37, which isnt close to a 3.5, and I havent even looked at the MCAT to even begin predicting my scores. I am going to pray (like none other) for 33+.

I'd suggest a lil' less prayer and a lil' more studying, if you catch my drift. ;)

Also, as another poster suggested, you might be wise to rethink your policy on being "done" with science after the prereqs. Drag up that BCPM, baby!

I'd suggest a lil' less prayer and a lil' more studying, if you catch my drift. ;)

Also, as another poster suggested, you might be wise to rethink your policy on being "done" with science after the prereqs. Drag up that BCPM, baby!

I am not just taking pre-reqs, i'm going to take some advanced classes that interest me.
Pathogenic microbio, possibly bio chem, and possibly anatomy and physiology.

Lol, i plan to study too, but prayer works wonders ;)