Blah!!! UCLA's LOR Service sucks!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAMAN

Air Jordan Collector
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this email when requesting my letters to be sent to the med school.

Thank you for using the UCLA Career Center Letter of Reference Service.
We were unable to process one (or more) of your requests for # 11430.
Because of an incorrect addres). As stated in the service contract, you
will be billed for all requests, including those that are returned due to
incorrect or insufficient addresses. You may re-submit another request
with the corrected address information.

Sincerely,

UCLA Career Center
501 Westwood Plaza
Box 951573
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1573
(310) 206-1915

UCLA wants their letters sent here....

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Office of Admissions
Box 957035
12-105 Center for the Health Sciences
Los Angeles, California 90095-7035

The address on file at UCLA's LOR Office is this...

University of California, Los Ange
Address: Office of Admissions
12-105 Center for Health Science
10833 LeConte Ave.
LOS ANGELES, CA 90095-7035
Completed Date: Monday, January 06, 2003

So when I put UCLA's school code(theres a list of schools that the center has addresses for) down on my request it got sent to the address on file at the career center.

What a bunch of crap!!!! I've sent letters to about 100 schools by now. ALL have gotten there. You would think that your own undergrad would get the address to its OWNschool of medicine correct! What a jip! I shoulda checked the address on file. Now I gotta pay another $20. BLAH!!

+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

that totally sucks man, UCLA really rips you off on letter sending charges. Univerrsity of maryland only charges $3.50 per packet

Originally posted by ayj
that totally sucks man, UCLA really rips you off on letter sending charges. Univerrsity of maryland only charges $3.50 per packet

Well ya we are ripped off...but it normally costs only $8 for the first 2 schools and $4 for each additional. But I chose the next day air service which is $20 and has a tracking number.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys pay for your lor's to be sent? :eek:

Oh, great... I am in the process of creating an account with the LOR service. Is it more trouble than it is worth?

I just called the LOR service and asked about this problem because I just mailed my letters to them yesterday and they said that they use the old address (UCLA School of Medicine) for UPS delivery...and the David Geffen Address for regular mail. She said that the letters usually get there...but she could have been lying to get me off the phone.

do NOT trust any of the codes they have...some are out-dated. simply click on "non-coded" school and type the school's mailing address on there. that will solve a ton of problems. trust me.

how weird. i sent my lor's thru the service and ucla got all of them without a problem. maybe it just depends on who's sorting the campus mail that day. =[

Originally posted by Joe Joe on da Radio
do NOT trust any of the codes they have...some are out-dated. simply click on "non-coded" school and type the school's mailing address on there. that will solve a ton of problems. trust me.

Word....I'm an idiot.

Originally posted by UCLAstudent
Oh, great... I am in the process of creating an account with the LOR service. Is it more trouble than it is worth?

No, its worth it. I think for most schools if your undergrad provides the service you must use it. Like JoeJoe said tho, punch the addresses in yourself. Don't trust their codes like I did.

Originally posted by chibihamsta
how weird. i sent my lor's thru the service and ucla got all of them without a problem. maybe it just depends on who's sorting the campus mail that day. =[

Ya but did you send regular mail or the next day service? I used the next day UPS service and apparently they didn't update the UCLA's address on that one.

Originally posted by weirdo700
I just called the LOR service and asked about this problem because I just mailed my letters to them yesterday and they said that they use the old address (UCLA School of Medicine) for UPS delivery...and the David Geffen Address for regular mail. She said that the letters usually get there...but she could have been lying to get me off the phone.

Ok scratch what I said earlier. After reading the fine print on the CC's website I see that UPS next day cannot send to PO Boxes. Hence, the mailing to the old address. But if it didn't get through through by UPS the first time what the heck am I supposed to do? Fax it? I'd rather not send by regular mail because of the 15 day wait before it gets processed. I guess I'm placing a phone call to the UCLA Career Center tomorrow morning.