Blending Interests in Surgery and Immunology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartforhealing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am new to SDN, but will begin applying to medical schools this summer. I am going to apply to both allopathic and osteopathic schools, but I am leaning more towards osteopathic. I am an animal science undergrad major (I began as a prevet and switched to premed) and I have done vaccine development and antibiotic resistant research. I also have watched and assisted on quite a few animal surgeries. Do any of you have advice on how to blend those two interests in medicine? So far I have loved both surgery and immunology. Also are there any osteopathic schools that you would recommend for exploring those particular interests in the aspects of research?

Members don't see this ad.

osteopathic schools are often less research oriented. if continuing research and being a clinician interests you, you might want to gun for MD. one idea is to look for papers that you find compelling (check out pubmed) and see where the authors are working.

considering your interests, transplant surgery comes to mind. just be aware that you are relatively far from having to make any choices about specialization. make sure you want to be a doctor (with human patients) and make sure you can articulate that commitment. get an acceptance to the best school you can manage and you will be in a good position to feed your curiosity with exposure to many different fields!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. I am new to SDN, but will begin applying to medical schools this summer. I am going to apply to both allopathic and osteopathic schools, but I am leaning more towards osteopathic. I am an animal science undergrad major (I began as a prevet and switched to premed) and I have done vaccine development and antibiotic resistant research. I also have watched and assisted on quite a few animal surgeries. Do any of you have advice on how to blend those two interests in medicine? So far I have loved both surgery and immunology. Also are there any osteopathic schools that you would recommend for exploring those particular interests in the aspects of research?
If you do end up at a DO school, it's usually recommended on here to go to a public institution if research is important to you. Those schools are Ohio, Oklahoma, Rowan, MSU. I also think at the more established schools research would be somewhat easier to access as well like DMU, KCU, CCOM, AZCOM etc.

Reactions: 1 users
osteopathic schools are often less research oriented. if continuing research and being a clinician interests you, you might want to gun for MD. one idea is to look for papers that you find compelling (check out pubmed) and see where the authors are working.

considering your interests, transplant surgery comes to mind. just be aware that you are relatively far from having to make any choices about specialization. make sure you want to be a doctor (with human patients) and make sure you can articulate that commitment. get an acceptance to the best school you can manage and you will be in a good position to feed your curiosity with exposure to many different fields!

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely read more on transplant surgery, and that is a great idea to look at where the projects I’m interested in are being conducted at school wise.

I am only applying to DO schools that have research opportunities for their med students as know not all focus on research. I actually had not considered DO school at all until a friend of mine ended up at VCOM where he assists on research. I have found some really interesting projects going on at WesternU Comp that line up with the projects I have led as an undergrad, but they are strictly microbiology and immunology.

More than anything I’m trying to figure out the best schools to apply to that will help me explore my interests and aptitude for these fields within medicine. I know without a doubt I have made the right decision to switch to human medicine. I’m just still not sure how all my interest go together.