PhD/PsyD Blogging Income and PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question - I have a blog and generate some blogging income.
Is this something I can continue doing while pursuing my PhD or should I plan on shutting it down when and if I get in (or start) my PhD? I would prefer not to as it is some nice extra income and I enjoy doing it, but I know some programs forbid employment and I wasn't sure what they define as employment.

The blog is anonymous but I don't want to be doing something that could get me kicked out of my program!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's generally "expected" that programs don't want you to work while doing graduate work. That being said, several students (including myself) worked in my program. I think the only way it comes back around is if you start not getting things done in your program (e.g., clinical/teaching/research duties).

Is this something I can continue doing while pursuing my PhD or should I plan on shutting it down when and if I get in (or start) my PhD? I would prefer not to as it is some nice extra income and I enjoy doing it, but I know some programs forbid employment and I wasn't sure what they define as employment.

The blog is anonymous but I don't want to be doing something that could get me kicked out of my program!

As the person above said, I think it shouldn't be a problem so long as it doesn't interfere with your work. I have several colleagues who blogged during grad school, though most took breaks at some point when it was too hard to keep it going and focus on work. I would discuss it with your program when you know where you're headed, but it should be fine, I expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry. I have several friends who occasionally babysit or walk dogs. Technically, that's outside employment. I won't tell you do something that your program doesn't permit but I also know that my friends' advisers (at least in two instances) knew about this "outside employment" and didn't have a problem with it, presumably because the students kept up with their responsibilities.

Hey, if I wanna sell some junk on Ebay, it ain't nobody else's buisness, capice?!

Reactions: 1 users

In my program (many moons ago), the prohibition on work was for non-program-approved clinical placements. The concern was less about extra hours taking away from our studies, but more about liability and the fact that the insurance they carried on us for clinical duties would not necessarily extend to other sites, without explicit approval. But if we wanted to work part-time in a coffee shop, or babysit, etc. there was no problem...

I will add that some universities do have policies re: outside income, which might affect your eligibility for university support as a TA or RA. In those cases, you will need to be careful because you don't want them to consider you in breach of contract, with all of the potential negative consequences that may ensue. This would not be a department- specific policy, but an institutional one. Just make sure you know what the limits are, and you're probably fine!