Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

bloody websites

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by asdasd12345, Apr 3, 2004.

1. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

im wondering if any of you know if there are websites that have images/clips of surgeries so i can be accustomed to seeing blood and guts that is not in a horror movie. ive had blood taken once in my life, and once i saw the needle go in i passed out. i also have to turn away when i see someone injecting something into their arms in movies. has anyone else had this problem and did they overcome it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    The only way to overcome this is to see it in person. I would recommend shadowing or doing some sort of clinical hours.

4. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yup..agree with guju

you've to get used to it..

try using google, under the picture search option

5. *website removed by DrMom due to offensive materials there*

Actually thats more gore stuff, but they do have autopsy pictures. Speaking of which, go see an autopsy.

6. beanbean

beanbean 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I recommend slowly desensitizing yourself - if just watching someone get a needle in a movie bothers you, an autopsy might be a bit much :eek:

Everyone has something that makes them feel uneasy and anxious. I have been an EMT for 18 yrs and have seen all sorts of gore; however, I almost passed out watching my daughter get ONE stitch in her hand a few months ago. I also hate burns.

I can tell you from experience it is often much easier to "do" than to watch. There is too much time to process and personalize what you are seeing if you are just standing there observing something.

I know plenty of med students who have had to leave the room or sit down during procedures. Sometimes it hits even when you think you are going to be fine, but you get over it and soon its not an issue.

7. flyingillini

flyingillini Self Proclaimed Ninja
    7+ Year Member

*website removed by DrMom due to offensive materials there*

JUST KIDDING DON'T GO THERE

8. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

There is a show on The Learning Channel (TLC) called Trauma: Life in the ER. Try that. I think the show is still on the air though it's been a while since I watched it.

9. prg6315

prg6315 Member
    7+ Year Member

10. medstylee

medstylee 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.ghorayeb.com/Pictures.html

this site has some pictures of tons of ENT- Head/Neck surgery on it. they're not too gorey, but some of them are decent. pretty cool procedures.

11. Sorry guys, you just gotta see it in real life to get the full experience. Then you'll not only get the visual input, but also experience the sound (knives slicing through skin, saws going through bone, etc.) and smell. :)

12. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lol... has anyone ever seen those 'Faces of Death' or 'Real Death Scenes' movies? They are horrible! My suitemate has the Faces of Death one and I had to leave the room. I thought it was immoral.

13. fun8stuff

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Smells like bacon!

14. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I was introduced to these horror documentaries when I was young... ~10 yrs old. As a result, I have a very high tolerance to seeing blood, guts, gaping wounds, warped limbs, etc.

Actually, for me it smells like grilled chicken without any of the spices...

15. No Egrets

No Egrets Bachelorette of Science
    7+ Year Member

Oh my goodness, this is so disturbing... I have shadowed doctors before but never anyone who had to deal with someone being stabbed in the neck with a steak knife! What are the odds that i will have to see something like that on my rotations?!? ahhhh!

16. flyingillini

flyingillini Self Proclaimed Ninja
    7+ Year Member

haha, funny little thing that happened to me

I was looking at some of the xrays, and I clicked on the thumbnail of the knife in the skull injury expecting it to show me A LARGER XRAY.

To my pleasure it shows the actual photo of the injury in all of its detail.

17. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    The odds are really high! Most schools have hospitals with fairly large emergency departments to accomadate the needs of the surrounding population (which are necessarily large). This kind of thing happens all the time. I think the way in which the injury occured is far less important than the type of injury when it comes to the gross factor. For instance, I'd rather see a stab wound to the neck than a limb that was accidentally mangled by a lawnmower.

18. fun8stuff

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have 2 stories...

Last year about this time I was touring Wayne State Medical School (Detroit) and they have these underground tunnels that connect all the hospitals and other medical buildings. Anyways, we were walking underneath there and as we passed 2 doctors we overheard the one telling the other how he just had a guy come in who had been struck so many times in the head (presumably with a bat) that grew matter was "all over the place".

I have a friend who works filing xrays at the local hospital. Well, a few months ago he said one of the docs showed him this xray of someone who had an old spice bottle shoved up their butt. Worse yet, the doc said that it had been there for like a day. His girlfriend shoved it up there and he had hoped it would come out on it's own, but it never did.

19. Awesome. I believe this is my first censored post. I feel honored.

20. JunkintheTrunk

JunkintheTrunk Blondes are smrt
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i worked with a cardiovascular surgeon for a month in his office, and he invited me into an open heart surgery.......the sights were fine, i watch TLC all the time, that was old news. but the thing that you're really not ready for is the SMELLS. sawing open the sternum and cauterization of the blood vessels made me more nauseous than anything....but luckily i had been warned in advance :D

21. Smells definitely take some getting used to. Sawing open the skull so we could remove the brain always was a fun smell. However, nothing beats the smell of a good decomp.

22. asdasd12345

Removed

do people ever get physically sick in disection classes? and if they do what does the instructor do, i mean i can imagine its not too impressive getting sick in your career field if you know what i mean.

23. underAchiever

underAchiever leoni ridenti
    7+ Year Member

I was watching some of the pics on trauma.org, man they are brutal. Visuals alone are filling me with nausea. I hope it gets better with exposure.

24. asdasd12345

Removed

underAchiever, i take it u go to USF, how do you like it? I was thinking of transfering to FSU or USF, becuase they both have med schools there.

25. MoCookiess

MoCookiess Hater of Biochemistry
    7+ Year Member

Honestly, I think the noise of a drill or saw on bone is pretty much the worst in the whole world. I generally don't hate going to the dentist, but sheesh, that noise makes me want to crawl into a hole and never come out again. I hadn't really thought about the smells of surgery; I guess I need to go shadow some in the OR, just to make sure I don't pass out when I see one in medical school.

26. underAchiever

underAchiever leoni ridenti
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, this is my first semester at USF. I just transfered here and and I like it, it's a huge school so it is impersonal, but I have had good experiences so far and there seems to be a lot of stuff to do. I have no personal experience with FSU, so I can not speak about that.