blue grass vs. country

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MZN, Nov 28, 2002.

1. MZN

MZN Member

hi everyone,

I was just reading the interview feedback sites, and on a couple of Vandy interviews, applicants were asked the difference between Blue Grass and Country music. Can anyone please tell me the answer. I tried to look it up elsewhere on the internet, but I found only sites where I could purchase this type of music (which I am not so interested in in the first place).

Also, why do people like Vanderbilt? I like the high student satisfaction and the warm climate. Does anyone have reasons that have more directly to do with their program?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JJNY

JJNY 0-MD in 4.0yrs Buckle up!

I'm from NY, and the ONE country music station we had recently changed format, so take my opinion for what it's worth...

I would say that country places a greater emphasis on lyrics while bluegrass tends to be instrumental.

4. ms1_to_be

ms1_to_be Junior Member

I'm afraid I can't be much help regarding country music vs. blue grass music. I suspect that it's a rare question, perhaps a favorite of one specific interviewer. Trust me that being a country music lover and/or Southerner are not necessary for admission to Vanderbilt medical school.

Some good things about Vanderbilt:
    -kind and supportive faculty
    -students are generally cooperative and not cut-throat
    -good reputation and research opportunities, although certainly there are schools that beat Vanderbilt here
    -nice, new facilities--Research Building III, children's hospital, ENT and musculo-skeletal center (under construction)
    -affordable, safe and often unfairly maligned city
    -lots of elective opportunities
    -traditional curriculum provides solid preparation

Regarding the last point, the curriculum is rigorous and traditional (though many days required classes end by noon), and Vanderbilt is absolutely not a cake-walk of a medical school. Hopefull that will pay off when I take Step I.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your interview!

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Well, nowadays there are more similarities, but here's a general idea of the difference b/w bluegrass and country

Bluegrass is a "string" music - usually no drums, etc. They usually have 1) a banjo - almost always, 2) mandolin, 3) fiddle/violin, 4) bass, 5) guitar, 6) sometimes other "hillbilly" instruments

Country is a ''band" music with drums and guitars being the norm, and sometimes piano. Modern country has electric guitars, etc.

If you want to hear the difference, download these songs and compare:

Bill Monroe - "Shady Grove" - Excellent Bluegrass example
    Montgomery Gentry - "She Couldn't Change Me" - somewhat modern country example.

-Jamier2, resident hick.