Blue Light Kills Gum Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scientists at The Forsyth Institute have found that blue light can be used to selectively suppress certain bacteria commonly associated with destructive gum disease.

Read the story here.

Members don't see this ad.

Fullosseousflap said:
Scientists at The Forsyth Institute have found that blue light can be used to selectively suppress certain bacteria commonly associated with destructive gum disease.

Read the story here.

Sounds like the Libertrian Montana senatorial candidate (Stan Jones) who drank mass quantities of colloidal silver an few years back to make himself more immune to bacterial infections come the impending dark days of judgement upon the earth. The guy's skin turned blue from head to foot and the change is permanent (much like those amlagam tatoos sometimes seen on the gums of dental patients) :rolleyes:

The Leeds Dental Insitiute at the University of Leeds (UK) and the College of Pharmacy at the University at the University of New Mexico are collaborating on a project along similar lines. Called Photodynamic Therapy, it utilizes a photosensitizing agent in combination with light to irradicate the bacteria found within the biofilm that is created from dental plaque. So far, the results are promising (nearly 99.9% of the bacteria in the biofilm is killed).

There is not too much published in this area of research, but it has the potential to become a major development with in the next few years.

Fullosseousflap said:

Read the story here.

That is very interesting. I am interested in how this would be billed and utilized in dental offices. Also who would be performing the therapy. Sounds like a less "painfull" adjunct to SRP. But I highly doubt it will replace it. (I am not suggesting that it will only contemplating how the two will be used together.)