Blueprints for Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

layne20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the following books would be enough to study for step 2:

Blueprints Family Med
Blueprints Medicine
Blueprints OB/GYN
Blueprints Psych
Blueprints Neuro
Blueprints Pediatrics
Blueprints Surgery
First Aid for the USMLE Step 2

I was planning on using these books to study for my individual rotations this year and also study them again next summer for Step 2. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school administer NBME shelf exams at the end of your rotations? If so, ONLY the ObGyn blueprint book is sufficient for preparation. The other blueprint books are too superficial for their respective exams.

I also think the Blueprints series is way too much material to review from when you are readying for the Step 2 exam. It would take a lot of time to reread all of those books. That's why Crush Step 2, Prescrip for the Boards, Boards and Wards, etc become so invaluable. They have all the major topics reduced to a format that you can review relatively quickly.

I suggest that you talk to 4th years at your school to find out how to best prepare for your school's exams. Then for Step 2, use Crush Step 2 and do tons of questions.

Good luck.

Although I havent had all the rotations, I've had some of the biggies and I found blueprints for medicine and psych to be very helpful. For surgery I used NMS and Surgical recall. But I agree with IntrinsicFactor, don't use them to study for step 2. They are just too much. Use the ones he listed for step 2 studying

I really didn't find the blueprints series to be that helpful. The books tend to be very superficial, even for a review book. I found using the NMS or Recall series to be a better choice, along with Step 2 Secrets for general review.