Blumberg's Sign in 'Evidence Based Physical Diagnosis' Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h_dang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to what I have learnt in diagnosing appendicitis, Blumberg's sign refers to the pain on sudden release of pressure on the RIGHT lower quadrant. However, when I read 'Evidence Based Physical Diagnosis' by Steven McGee, I got confused:
"Rebound tenderness was originally described by J. Moritz Blumberg (1873-1955), a German surgeon and gynecologist, who believed that pain in the lower abdomen after abrupt withdrawal of the hand from the left (*: the word is in italics in the book) lower quadrant was a sign of appendicitis (i.e., Blumberg's sign)"
Did that idea come from J. Moritz Blumberg at first? Or is there a mistake? (Which I hardly think it is likely) By the way, the reference used for this sentence comes from Bailey's Demonstrations of physical signs in clinical surgery (11th ed), but I cannot find this book to check the information, either.
I am looking forward to your replies. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

For appendicitis, rebound tenderness is checked by pushing on the RLQ.
If you push on the LLQ and it hurts in the RLQ, that's Rovsing's Sign.

I've never heard of rebound tenderness being called "Blumberg's Sign". I've always called it rebound tenderness.

But this is the problem with eponyms. They don't really tell you much about what you're finding.

Reactions: 1 user