1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Board Certification in the real world

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by ussdfiant, Nov 28, 2001.

1. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This question is extremely premature for my purposes, but I am curious nonetheless. If one wishes to practice in a "competative" specialty (rad, derm, etc) does it matter what board certifies you (Osteopathic or Allopathic)? I know that they are functionally equivalent, but I am curious about employer/hospital prejudices, if they exist at all.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There are two certanties that I can convey from my experiences.

1. Md's and Do's both receive excellent and equivalent, yet somewhat different training. Both are well equipped to prosper in any medical field given the chance.

2. Exteme bias still exists in the medical community, and many MD's unfortunately look down upon DO's, convinced that they are inferior physicians because of easier entrance into a DO program. Whether or not this is true, the DO still must circumnavigate the rigors of their school, and graduation from a DO school is equivalent to graduation from an MD program, at least in my mind. Now given the fact that this unwarranted prejudice is unfortunately rampant, it means that opportunities for DO's are much fewer. In fact this was sole reason I chose an MD tract way back when. DO's are in every field. They CAN do it, but the opportunities, especially in competitive residencies and jobs are much much fewer. This means securing a derm residency through a DO program is next to impossible. It also means if you want to ortho, you better fight for a DO residency slot, bk getting one in MD is already way too fierce.

It's a cold hard fact that unfortunately plagues a very bright and capable group of physicians.

4. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

To the above poster,

"Extreme bias"? :eek: "Rampant prejudice"? :confused: Don't you think you're being just a little histrionic? I'm not saying that prejudice doesn't exist, but based on my experiences at several different allopathic hospitals, it's hardly extreme or rampant. Actually, I've never had ANY problems (not with patients or physicians). I'm sure that some areas of the country are worse than others, but in the midwest, most MDs and DOs get along quite well.

To the original poster:

For privilege/reimbursement purposes, hospitals and insurers are only concerned that you are BC and could care less whether the certifying board is osteopathic or allopathic. Some employers will have a preference, but most won't care. Also, depending on the specialty and the attitudes of the individuals in any particular group, some will prefer to stay "pure", ie., MD or DO only, while others will have no preference. In general, academics and surgical specialties are really the last bastions of the "MD only" club and even those areas are starting to loosen up. I can assure you that as a DO, no matter what field you go into, when you finish residency, you'll have multiple job offers, and more patients than you can handle. :D

Neurogirl DO, MPH

5. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the info Neurogirl!

6. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

7. DO/MBA

DO/MBA Member
    7+ Year Member

Yep, I think you are both right. It depends on where you are located. MO, MI, it doesn't matter. Other places aren't so kind.