Board Certified dentist to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craniosur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I need your suggestions in an attempt to realize my dreams (to become an MD). My plan is to take the MCAT and get into 4 years of medical school. However, it has been 16 years since I last read Biology, physics, & chemistry. Apart from thinking that I must be crazy (I must be - right?), any suggestions on how to get a good score on the MCAT.

Well, I'm a board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeon in practice. I have 15 indexed publications, worked as a faculty member for few years, conducted mission trips, have a Master's degree as well.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, it was my understanding that for OMFS board certification, you had to complete dental school followed by 1 year of practice, then years 3-4 of medical school, and then OMFS residency. What route did you take?

Hello everyone,
I need your suggestions in an attempt to realize my dreams (to become an MD). My plan is to take the MCAT and get into 4 years of medical school. However, it has been 16 years since I last read Biology, physics, & chemistry. Apart from thinking that I must be crazy (I must be - right?), any suggestions on how to get a good score on the MCAT.

Well, I'm a board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeon in practice. I have 15 indexed publications, worked as a faculty member for few years, conducted mission trips, have a Master's degree as well.

Thanks in advance.

There are those who might say that you're crazy for leaving dentistry for medicine, possibly even more so for leaving a very surgical dental specialty, but if it's your passion...
Why not brush up on the basics (bio, chem, orgo, etc.) at a CC or state college (wherever is relatively cheap) and then take the MCAT? Alternatively, since you have a pretty hardcore background you could take a Kaplan course and see how you do. I'd imagine your CV to be solid enough to smooth the way into med school to a fair degree.

I'm sorry, it was my understanding that for OMFS board certification, you had to complete dental school followed by 1 year of practice, then years 3-4 of medical school, and then OMFS residency. What route did you take?
Even as a non-dentist I know this not to be true. OMFS needs only do an OMFS residency (an exercise in brutality from what I hear/have read) after dental school. Four years. There are programs which incorporate 2 extra years of traditional medical school (total six years) and the OMFS resident can earn the MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any MCAT review course (Kaplan, PR, etc.) and review materials (EK, Kaplan, PR, etc.) should be just fine. Just make sure you take plenty of timed practice exams. AMCAS offers plenty of old ones with the exact computer interface you'll see in the real exam.

You won't get many people calling crazy in the non-trad forum, but I am curious why you want an MD so bad. I was under the impression that within OMFS, dentists had identical scopes of practice as MDs.

Any MCAT review course (Kaplan, PR, etc.) and review materials (EK, Kaplan, PR, etc.) should be just fine. Just make sure you take plenty of timed practice exams. AMCAS offers plenty of old ones with the exact computer interface you'll see in the real exam.

You won't get many people calling crazy in the non-trad forum, but I am curious why you want an MD so bad. I was under the impression that within OMFS, dentists had identical scopes of practice as MDs.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the day's troll...

There is no way this is real. Seriously. If it is, please submit yourself for a psych eval at your nearest hospital.

I believe they would have a similar scope to something like a surgically oriented ENT..

It's a troll, people. I agree with the poster who called it.

just another Dentist-hating Troll, nothing to see here.

If this is a troll, it's certainly not a very inflammatory one

Why don't you check with the program you graduated from. Most OMFS programs, if associated with a medical school, have a pretty good relationship, and might consider a spot for a single degree attending to obtain their MD.

I agree with some of the previous posts, why as a board certified OMFS with 15yrs, would you want to obtain your MD? Unless you were trying to enter a different field of medicine and leave OMFS forever.

I hardly post to sdn much anymore, but I had to LOL at this thread

925262-troll.jpg