Board exam banks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandavirus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all

Do you have any updates for good question banks to use to prepare for ABA boards?

Past searches seem to point at painexam .org is this the best resource still?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ITE is coming up and Initial Certification is in September. Looking at the Pain Medicine Content Outline (http://www.theaba.org/PDFs/Pain-Medicine/PMContentOutline), it seems as if Dannemiller may getting a bit out of date (even with Rana's lectures on Opioid REMS/etc.). For example, I see a section on Animal Models of Pain and Ethics of Animal Experimentation. I've already completed Dannemiller (our fellowship program goes through it throughout the year) but have started on ThePassMachine and am somewhat impressed; it seems more on target with the content outline.

On the surface, the McGraw question bank seems like a nice option, but reviews on Amazon skewer it as having a number of inaccurate answers.

Reviews on SD over the years have recommended Dannemiller + painexam.com. Am I wrong to assume that times have changed and the way to go may be: ThePassMachine + Board Vitals? Any other strong question banks out there? There seems to be a dearth of q+a.

Thank you for your advice in advance ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
McGraw book is free online and the only thing you need. I just took the exam last September. Anything else is icing and/or a waste of time. The exam is outdated so an old book is OK.

Well structured lectures with accompanying handouts, pertinent information, practice exams and nice online format that worked well on my iPad. Finally, 40 hours CME ;)
Were the lectures done by pain docs with some practical context? I really liked Dannemiller lectures... But no questions for the boards. I'm trying to kill two birds here...

Were the lectures done by pain docs with some practical context? I really liked Dannemiller lectures... But no questions for the boards. I'm trying to kill two birds here...

Attached is the syllabus for the course when I took the course.

The re-cert exam was not difficult. It was heavy on the non-interventional aspects of practice; thus, this is where/what I think board review courses should target.

Personal opinion: MOC is a big waste of time/$$ just to fill the coffers of the sponsoring entities.........I feel better now ;)

Attachments

• 0 table of contents.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Reactions: 1 user

The re-cert exam was not difficult. It was heavy on the non-interventional aspects of practice; thus, this is where/what I think board review courses should target.

Personal opinion: MOC is a big waste of time/$$ just to fill the coffers of the sponsoring entities.........I feel better now ;)

MOC is extortion plain and simple. A massive financial and time burden upon physicians, a detriment to patients wondering why their doctor is not available in clinic because he/she is studying or wasting time on "Self Assesment" CME or "Practice Improvement Projects," instead of practicing on improving the patient waiting to see the physician.

Is the re-cert exam the exact same content as the initial cert exam? I mean, if a newly graduated fellow takes the pain boards does he see the same questions as an attending recertifying 20 years out?

Is the re-cert exam the exact same content as the initial cert exam?

Can't tell you as a definitive fact, but believe the re-cert exam was much easier.

The conspirator in me tells me that the boards intentionally make it easier because if a large number of people end up failing, then the outcry would be far worse than it is now.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't tell you as a definitive fact, but believe the re-cert exam was much easier.

The conspirator in me tells me that the boards intentionally make it easier because if a large number of people end up failing, then the outcry would be far worse than it is now.
Makes perfect sense. Do you have any tips for dealing with the rest of the MOC garbage?

Makes perfect sense. Do you have any tips for dealing with the rest of the MOC garbage?

Fortunately, the AAN (American Academy of Neurology) has a MOC tracker that helps somewhat. Additionally, the ABPN requires us to sign up for their service (about $150/yr :/ for us to attest that we are fulfilling the required elements.

For the SA/CME portion I subscribe to AAN Continuum. Very nice information, with a good bit that is pertinent to Pain Medicine.
For the PIP I've done the following:

Comprehensive Migraine Education Program (CMEP) through the American Headache Society Chronic Migraine Education Program | CMEP-American Headache Society 5.1

The other was smoking cessation PIP through UW. They no longer offer that particular one, however, they do offer one that may be beneficial and meet PIP requirements: https://uwmadison.app.box.com/s/l6wdgqhk8mw8ngl056me1bai8qelwdfm

It's costly, but I just get my cme through ASA for anesthesiology. I can track all the CME I've done for the year through theasa.organd I am assured that all the cme I do "qualifies" for ABA anesthesiology and pain MOCA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is the question bank for the pain ITE? Thanks!