Board of Ed NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklynite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some info on the salary of an OT working for the board od education? What's your daily day like?

Members don't see this ad.

Payscale salaries
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Pediatric_Occupational_Therapist/Salary/by_State

I have no idea what their day is exactly like, me not even being an OT student yet. But from my observations in a school setting it is very demanding, the OT's had students around the clock. The only break they had was half of their lunch time as some students had a 1/2 hour session during that time. By 2pm however, they were finished. But they did not leave until 4 because they had to do paper work. All I can say is that you're always moving, but it looked like they enjoyed their job.

So, hours they had students 9-2 however they were there by 8 and did not leave until 4.

They also had to report a lot of things that were funding related to the board of ed, (i.e. more splints, wheelchairs, things of that nature).

The NYC BOE salary OT is $65,000 starting I dont know if it increases every year and 10,000 more if you work summers. Im not an OT yet so I dont know but from what I heard its a typical school day 9:00 -3:00. Not a bad gig if youre into peds! The only problem with the BOE if you have their scholarship they can put you anywhere. Sometimes not so good school districts.

Members don't see this ad :)
The BOE is a good gig.
40 tx a week= 20 hours of direct tx time.
Amazing benefits.

65 sounds about right. But it's a 10 month year and sign up for the summer if you want.... or stay home and be paid over the whole year if you tell payroll that's how you want it.

After 10 years, retire w/ medical for a reduced rate.
After 30 years...get a nice pension that is almost half your salary.

Parking, crime, and traffic are the downers, but the suburban school systems pay per diem, mostly, w/ no benefits and they like to lump kids in groups to save money.

Hi, I have an interview for this scholarship later this week. I'd love it if someone from this forum could give me some details about the interview and the aftermath. Has anyone received this scholarship? If so, what was the interview like? What is expected from you as a student? Is anyone an OT in the NYC DOE who can give me some pointers?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I have an interview for this scholarship later this week. I'd love it if someone from this forum could give me some details about the interview and the aftermath. Has anyone received this scholarship? If so, what was the interview like? What is expected from you as a student? Is anyone an OT in the NYC DOE who can give me some pointers?

Thanks for your help!

please let ME know how thins went. Someone told me they basically ask you the same questions the OT program director would ask you.I know the major question would be " why do you want to become an OT & also why do you want to work with children? Good Luck to you & please don't forget to share your experience.

Big things to note, it's a large room with 40 people all being interviewed throughout the day. I got there for a 9:30 meeting expecting a regular interview and it wasn't that. There was a powerpoint presentation, we wrote an essay about what experiences we've had with kids that we'd take into our jobs at the DOE. Then we had to just wait to be called for our one-on-ones.

The interview itself, once it happened, was exactly what you'd expect. No shockers.

I'm still interested in hearing from someone who has received the scholarship :)

I'm applying to OT schools this coming year and was going to apply for this scholarship. I looked at the application and noticed that it wasn't updated yet. Does anyone know when the new one might be posted (from someone whose done it before?) Also, when were you called to interview? What types of questions did they ask? Thanks so much.