Board of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redrum16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, as I posted earlier, I have a chance to work with the former president of the Ca board of pharmacy in Sacramento. Do you guys think a letter of rec from him would really make a difference? Is there anything I could possibly gain from working with him that would help me gain admission to a Ca pharm school or does his former position really not carry any weight? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Redrum,

It definitely would be to your advantage to get a letter of recommendation from someone who held a prestiguous position as the presidency for the California board of pharmacy. However, you have to ask yourself whether you will have the opportunity to work with this guy close enough where he can write a strong, detailed letter for you. If he is always busy with other concerns and forgets about you right after your first day of work, then his letter of recommendation might not be what you hoped for. Remember also that when he writes his letter, he, more than likely, won't be pointing out that he was the former president the California board of pharmacy, nor will most remember that he served that position (heck, I don't even know who's the mayor of my home city is). I'm sure he has an important position now, since he's doing the hiring, and this will definitely catch the eyes of the admission committe when they first scan the letters.

What is most important is that the person writing the letter of recommendation takes the job seriously, fully knowing that someone's future is on the line, and does a good job. His title will only peak the interest of the readers, but the content and the specific examples your supervisor can provide will determine whether you have a good letter of recommendation. To this end, provide your intended recommneder with a CV and coverletter as well as a conversation emphasizing how seriously the admission committee takes the letter of recommendations.

Redrum16:

Do you happen to know when he served his term(s) on the CABOP? If he's a recent board president, then maybe the LOR carries some weight. It wouldn't be inconceivable for administrative people at various colleges of pharmacy in California to know him professionally through dealings with the BOP, or CPhA functions, for instance. BUT, if he was on the board a decade or more ago, then very few people may remember him. As neonam said, you'll have to consider just how well you'll get to know this guy, too. If you'll be in a position that allows you to work with him closely for some period of time, then he may be able to craft a nicely written LOR for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I will be working closely with him. He is in the store almost every day and tends to every aspect of his pharmacy. He seems to have a very good relationship with the current employees. I think I would eventually get to know him well. As far as when he served I'm sure it was within the last 5 years but I don't know how long exactly. I'm pretty torn between these two jobs simply because of the fact he was president of the BOP recently. I was kinda hoping you'd say his LOR wouldn't make a difference and make my choice easier :)

Let's try to make your choice...more challenging! ;) If he was a recent president of CABOP, he's probably very active in state and/or national pharmacy organizations: CPhA, APhA, NCPA, etc., by either being a committee member or officer in one of those organizations. If he is a graduate of a California college of pharmacy, he may be a very active alumni, volunteering alot of time in his alumni association (heck, he may be the president). What I'm trying to get at here, is that if you could research his background a bit, you might find him to be a very "well connected" person, thus making that LOR look even better.

Just some food for thought...