board pass rates of a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pistachio123

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was wondering if there was a way to find out the specific pass rates of a particular program. for example how many people sit to take the exam in a given year and then how many of those pass the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

It isn’t public information, and even if it was, I’d consider it a useless statistic. Pass rates are high, board certification isn’t mandatory for employment, and studying varies greatly between individuals.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Such numbers are confounded by the simple fact that strong programs tend to attract stronger applicants and by that fact alone will tend to have higher board pass rates.

It isn’t public information, and even if it was, I’d consider it a useless statistic. Pass rates are high, board certification isn’t mandatory for employment, and studying varies greatly between individuals.
For a lot of jobs it is a requirement, at least in Michigan. MOST jobs say board certified or board eligible within three years of graduation or within 5. For insurance, only Medicare and Blue Cross will let you be on their panel if you aren't BC within 5 years of graduation in Michigan. Perhaps it is different in different states

Who cares what the board pass rates are or how well residents perform on prite. The real world doesn’t care. Just take the prite, and actually study a bit for the board exam to pass

Such numbers are confounded by the simple fact that strong programs tend to attract stronger applicants and by that fact alone will tend to have higher board pass rates.
And will have generally selected applicants with higher USMLE/COMLEX scores, which predicts their prowess at passing future multiple choice exams.

(Meanwhile in the real world, a colleague tells me of encountering a recent BC psychiatrist, fresh out of an Ivy League "name brand" program who told her that she "wasn't comfortable" managing a patient on clozapine, and "didn't really have much experience with" LAIs...)

Meanwhile in the real world, a colleague tells me of encountering a recent BC psychiatrist, fresh out of an Ivy League "name brand" program who told her that she "wasn't comfortable" managing a patient on clozapine, and "didn't really have much experience with" LAIs...)

???? That blows my mind.