Board performance at NYCOM and other schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As i might have mentioned, nycom's last performance on the boards were poor, of about 300 students taking it, about 60 did not pass the first time -- As a nycom student -- and hopefully other nycom students who have taken the boards already can help out -- should I worried big time...should I be studying board books as I go along w/ the courses. Please, any advice would be greatly appeciated because Im highly concerned...thanks you.

PM me if you like

Members don't see this ad.

theDr. said:
As i might have mentioned, nycom's last performance on the boards were poor, of about 300 students taking it, about 60 did not pass the first time -- As a nycom student -- and hopefully other nycom students who have taken the boards already can help out -- should I worried big time...should I be studying board books as I go along w/ the courses. Please, any advice would be greatly appeciated because Im highly concerned...thanks you.

PM me if you like

Where did you get these statistics from?

the school and from students of that class year.. Now sure if its due to our larger class size or what -- but its a bit troublesome

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 3rd year right now and these are the numbers I heard going around school. I heard that a significant amount of the people who failed the boards this year were the people who had trouble passing NYCOM exams throughout the first 2 years. So if you notice you are having trouble with NYCOM exams, maybe start studying sooner that you originally planned. It seems to me that NYCOM presents the information tested on the boards in lectures, but for some reason a significant percentage of the students have trouble learning/recalling this information...not sure if this is NYCOMs fault due to failure in teaching or if it's the students' fault for not taking the responsibility to learn the information necessary to pass the boards. Whatever the reason is, you must personally make sure you know what you need to pass the boards.

regardless of size...+/-80% isn't too impressive...the "fault" is probably two-fold. I don't think a school will/could hold your hand all the way through the boards...but i also don't think it fair to make the students do it on their own.
To answer the OP's question...yes, i would suggest studying from board review material as you go...i know it is tough with everything else there is to read but it will help come spring. Like labruy said...make sure YOU do what it will take to pass.

i just think where is my $$$$ going. I would definitly not recommened this school to anyone right now. I just can't. im not pleased with my education thus far. I haven't taken the boards yet either, but when you dean is saying "we are not teaching you for the boards" it scares me. she means they are teaching us to be good physicians but we still need to pass the boards. But then again, maybe if knew before i want something more competitive than family medicine i would have tried only for MD schools.

theDr. said:
i just think where is my $$$$ going. I would definitly not recommened this school to anyone right now. I just can't. im not pleased with my education thus far. I haven't taken the boards yet either, but when you dean is saying "we are not teaching you for the boards" it scares me. she means they are teaching us to be good physicians but we still need to pass the boards. But then again, maybe if knew before i want something more competitive than family medicine i would have tried only for MD schools.

The doctor I shadowed OB/GYN attended NYCOM and said it was a good school overall. He said the first 2 years are fairly similar anywhere, but the clinicals at NYCOM were top notch. He went on to be a chief resident at Yale. I think you will get a good education there.

Elmer said:
The doctor I shadowed OB/GYN attended NYCOM and said it was a good school overall. He said the first 2 years are fairly similar anywhere, but the clinicals at NYCOM were top notch. He went on to be a chief resident at Yale. I think you will get a good education there.

I love how people who never went to NYCOM say 'Oh, I'm sure your school's fine.'

And about the doctor you shadowed, he obviously attended NYCOM before pretty much the entire OMM faculty left in 2002 and before almost half the Anatomy faculty left in 2004.

And Dr Stepp, the physiology professor who teaches 60-70% of the course, is horrid. Hundreds of 1st year students have wasted probably 100+ hours (for each individual student) on his 'physiology' packets that I suspect (because I'm only a first year myself) won't be helpful for 2nd year or the boards.

And let me emphasis this point- Dr Stepp has a PhD in BIOCHEMISTRY yet he teaches PHYSIOLOGY! WTF?!?

Will you people, who never attended NYCOM, please stop giving these uninformed endorsements!?

Obviously NYCOM is struggling in regards to all aspects of a medical education except maybe rotations. I sadly have to agree with medstudent -- but theres no way out of this mess now.

I just wish I had known it was this bad of a school.

I must agree with the above posters,

As a fourth year at NYCOM I wish I had the knowledge that they have now about how horrible the school is and how poorly everyone does on their boards. Of course, if I took to heart everything these little whiners are crying about I wouldn't have come to such a horrid school. I wouldn't have worked hard throught my first two years of med school, aced both the COMLEX and USMLE steps I & II, done well on my clinicals, and basically inteviewed at every program I choose for residency.

Moral of my rant, stop complaining and get in the game. Do what you need to do to be successful. If that means f$#!ing lectures and stuying on your, own, do it! If it means preparing for boards on your own, do it! If it means kissing ass and sucking up terrible lecturers, do it! And if all else fails you can always go for the five year plan, transfer, or drop out.

All the best

-B

medstudent3563 said:
I love how people who never went to NYCOM say 'Oh, I'm sure your school's fine.'

And about the doctor you shadowed, he obviously attended NYCOM before pretty much the entire OMM faculty left in 2002 and before almost half the Anatomy faculty left in 2004.

And Dr Stepp, the physiology professor who teaches 60-70% of the course, is horrid. Hundreds of 1st year students have wasted probably 100+ hours (for each individual student) on his 'physiology' packets that I suspect (because I'm only a first year myself) won't be helpful for 2nd year or the boards.

And let me emphasis this point- Dr Stepp has a PhD in BIOCHEMISTRY yet he teaches PHYSIOLOGY! WTF?!?

Will you people, who never attended NYCOM, please stop giving these uninformed endorsements!?

you are a ******. stepps packets are awesome i was a physio-major in college and his packets are way better than any book i ever used. also last time i checked a phd in physio wasnt all that different from a phd in biochem. Also the anatomy faculty that left last year sucked i can assure you. The one saving grace is you make is that yeah omm at nycoms not that great but its getting better as they hire new profs, but since when did your omm knowledge keep anyone out of yale? *****.

Cowboy DO said:
you are a ******. stepps packets are awesome i was a physio-major in college and his packets are way better than any book i ever used. also last time i checked a phd in physio wasnt all that different from a phd in biochem. Also the anatomy faculty that left last year sucked i can assure you. The one saving grace is you make is that yeah omm at nycoms not that great but its getting better as they hire new profs, but since when did your omm knowledge keep anyone out of yale? *****.

A Biochem PhD isn't much different from a Physio PhD?!? Are you on crack? Oh yeah, your NYCOM's dedicated apologist. And I'm sure being a physio major didn't help you at NYCOM :rolleyes: but a lot of people at NYCOM didn't even take Physio in undergrad, have you ever thought of that?

bthings said:
I must agree with the above posters,

As a fourth year at NYCOM I wish I had the knowledge that they have now about how horrible the school is and how poorly everyone does on their boards. Of course, if I took to heart everything these little whiners are crying about I wouldn't have come to such a horrid school. I wouldn't have worked hard throught my first two years of med school, aced both the COMLEX and USMLE steps I & II, done well on my clinicals, and basically inteviewed at every program I choose for residency.

Moral of my rant, stop complaining and get in the game. Do what you need to do to be successful. If that means f$#!ing lectures and stuying on your, own, do it! If it means preparing for boards on your own, do it! If it means kissing ass and sucking up terrible lecturers, do it! And if all else fails you can always go for the five year plan, transfer, or drop out.

All the best

-B

Of course you wouldn't have gone to NYCOM, you would have went to a better school (unless NYCOM was the best you could do). My advice to prospective students, if they got into CCOM, NOVA, PCOM, UMDNJ-COM or any US allopathic school, go there because they beat NYCOM.

Only go to NYCOM if its the best you can get into.

theDr. said:
Obviously NYCOM is struggling in regards to all aspects of a medical education except maybe rotations. I sadly have to agree with medstudent -- but theres no way out of this mess now.

I just wish I had known it was this bad of a school.

I really think you need to find another outlet. Im really getting sick and tired of your relentless banter. I really whish that you could see your cheapening your own degree every single time you post something negative about nycom. Not that nycom's perfect and that people should vent now and then, but you and medstudent (probably one ansd the same) keep coming up with the most snot bubbling crap i've ever read. Most people at nycom do fine, dare i say great. The proof is in the pudding and nycom consistently has one of the best match lists out there. If you guys really have issues or are struggling in class set up a meeting with Dr. Chaudrey, hes a great guy and im sure he would put many of your worries to rest as well as point you in the right direction for available resources if you need them.

Best of luck to you,
CB

medstudent3563 said:
Of course you wouldn't have gone to NYCOM, you would have went to a better school (unless NYCOM was the best you could do). My advice to prospective students, if they got into CCOM, NOVA, PCOM, UMDNJ-COM or any US allopathic school, go there because they beat NYCOM.

Only go to NYCOM if its the best you can get into.

The only thing I regret about nycom is having classmates like you.

wrong again there buddy

medstudent3563 said:

I was just relaying that the alumnus from NYCOM that I met did very well. I did not speak to personal knowledge of attending.
I hope you spoke with your classmates, professors, and the dean of your school before ruining someone's reputation on a public forum.

theDr. said:
wrong again there buddy

Not likely since you sent me a PM about a year ago, before you hated life, and signed your name to it.

medstudent3563 said:
A Biochem PhD isn't much different from a Physio PhD?!? Are you on crack? Oh yeah, your NYCOM's dedicated apologist. And I'm sure being a physio major didn't help you at NYCOM :rolleyes: but a lot of people at NYCOM didn't even take Physio in undergrad, have you ever thought of that?

You’re the bonehead if you dont think there isnt a lot of overlap from biochem to physio. Besides med school physio is hardly PhD level. Stepps been teaching physio here probably longer than you’ve been alive, everyone else seems to love him.

Also I'm hardly apologizing for nycom because i don’t think anything’s wrong in the first place. Ever heard of someone having a different opinion? I dont want all the soon to be or prospective nycom students to get a distorted view based on two vocal students. But you know what I'm done bickering with you kids i will not post anymore on this subject, you two cry away on each others shoulders if it makes you feel better. If anyone else wants another students view on nycom please PM me i'm more than willing to give you an honest opinion. Nycom is a good school, its not all rainbows and gumdrops, but if you don’t need someone to hold your hand to cross the street then you should do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.