Board Prep for NYCOM and PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtina0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how prepared they felt for the boards after attending these two schools. In terms of how related the curriculum was? How much time off the schools give to study? What kind of preperation ( courses/ review sessions) are availiable?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I felt prepared by the classwork at PCOM but its is always being refined. They give everyone a one week review course in may. Out last trimester starting in march is very easy and designed to allow for studying. they also give five weeks of dedicated board study time.

I felt prepared by the classwork at PCOM but its is always being refined. They give everyone a one week review course in may. Out last trimester starting in march is very easy and designed to allow for studying. they also give five weeks of dedicated board study time.
Just to add to this... I saw the 2nd year exam schedule for the third trimester. Everything is wrapped up this year by 4/30. Glad to see so much time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang PCOM is looking sweeter and sweeter to me lately.:D

How about CCOM, same question. Can anyone comment on how prepared, study time etc. . .

As a 4th year, I have seen positive and negative attributes of PCOM (like any other school). It looks like they are making some changes, however, during my first 2 years they really were not interested in preparing us for the board exams. Several professors had the attitude (publicly stating in class) that "they" don't teach for the boards and felt that it was against some educational principal to do so.

In addition, we were scheduled to end mid-May at the end of 2nd year and we had 4 to 5 final exams in surgery, peds, geriatics, EM, OMM etc. We only had 2 weeks to prepare for the May board exams unless you wanted to take them in June during rotations. Only after we complained PCOM decided to move up the end date for us. But, we were still stuck cramming for a bunch of courses that really bog you down for board prep. Luckily, the PCOM-GA campus hired Goljan for a 1 week seminar that was teleconferenced, but it was 2 weeks before the May board exams...little too late. My friends at some of the other Philly schools had dedicated board review as part of their classes and had 4 to 6 weeks off for board prep.

I do not have statistics, only statements from certain clinical docs, but the board pass rate has been dismal for us. I don't like spreading rumors or hurting PCOM's rep, but I feel compelled to share. If you study hard, are an independent learner, and do not rely purely on PCOM, you will be fine.

Hopefully some of the curriculum changes and earlier end date for the more recent classes will help with the boards.

Good luck with your decision.

As a 4th year, I have seen positive and negative attributes of PCOM (like any other school). It looks like they are making some changes, however, during my first 2 years they really were not interested in preparing us for the board exams. Several professors had the attitude (publicly stating in class) that "they" don't teach for the boards and felt that it was against some educational principal to do so.

In addition, we were scheduled to end mid-May at the end of 2nd year and we had 4 to 5 final exams in surgery, peds, geriatics, EM, OMM etc. We only had 2 weeks to prepare for the May board exams unless you wanted to take them in June during rotations. Only after we complained PCOM decided to move up the end date for us. But, we were still stuck cramming for a bunch of courses that really bog you down for board prep. Luckily, the PCOM-GA campus hired Goljan for a 1 week seminar that was teleconferenced, but it was 2 weeks before the May board exams...little too late. My friends at some of the other Philly schools had dedicated board review as part of their classes and had 4 to 6 weeks off for board prep.

I do not have statistics, only statements from certain clinical docs, but the board pass rate has been dismal for us. I don't like spreading rumors or hurting PCOM's rep, but I feel compelled to share. If you study hard, are an independent learner, and do not rely purely on PCOM, you will be fine.

Hopefully some of the curriculum changes and earlier end date for the more recent classes will help with the boards.

Good luck with your decision.

The board pass rate for the class of 2009 was 92% from the dean.

So currently, how much time does PCOM allow for board prep? I'm choosing between LECOM-Bradenton and PCOM (not to derail the thread). Thanks for any help/advice.

So currently, how much time does PCOM allow for board prep? I'm choosing between LECOM-Bradenton and PCOM (not to derail the thread). Thanks for any help/advice.

This year it will be about five weeks before then end of classes and the start of rotations. The last trimester is really easy too.

To echo what JonnyG said....the 3rd trimester at PCOM (even before whatever changes have been made in the last 3 years) is extremely easy and you barely have any required classes. I spent about 1-2 hours/day on class-related stuff and the rest of my time 3rd trimester studying for boards. The OMM/Peds/Geri/etc tests at the end were pretty easy too and only really required one night of cramming the scribed class notes.

I'm not gonna sugar coat this..... if you fail step 1 of the boards it's no ones fault but your own....not your schools. You'll be taught the foundation and overwhelming majority of what will be on the boards. Take some personal responsibility, actively work with the review books/question banks and handle your business.

Also, quality of overall curriculum and learning things well the first time around are >>>>>>> more impt then dedicated board prep